'Absolute power' move could haunt Prayut: NHRC

webfact

If this section 44 of the "interim" constitution does actually hand even more power to the PM, then IMO, the internationals will be on his case even more than they are now......

There would be no defense for anyone caught in a suspicious situation......his word would be the final say, as I see it.

Interesting, I read all these articles about how bad Martial Law is by people in Thailand and many of the other Countries who do not have a clue about how bad corruption had gotten, still is, in Thailand.

I for one do not have any problem with Martial Law, but then I do not do anything wrong or against the law !!

It will take at least two or more years of weeding out the corruption, Hell it even goes to the top levels of the Police and Government Officials, according to what I read and my wife tells me is on the TV.

Another thing, I do not know the General/PM and therefore have no opinion about him, but a lot of the posting are by people who think they know almost everything about anything.

I don't know you but reading your comment has given me an opinion of you.

• Like 1

""During a time that the country is trying to promote national reform and solve inequality issues, I doubt that it's suitable to use Article 44 or martial law," he said."

Well, there you have it: the government (not nebulous "the country") is not trying to "promote national reforms and solve inequality issues" unless you count crackdowns on any and all who may wish to have a fair responsive to the public government as reform, and solving inequality issue is silencing anyone who might bring that up.

Absolute power would only be tolerable if ruler had absolute wisdom and absolute best interests of people in mind. Don't think that criteria applies in this case to Dear Leader.

Prayuth is definately not the sharpest knife in the drawer and one who certainly should not have ultimate power. It is just like giving and arsonist a can of petrol, a box of matches and saying use it wisely.

While he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer he has good intentions.....I remember the arsonists downtown Bangkok and Thaksin when he tried to gain power of army, police and courts.......That is the arsonist you are looking for.

Our not so sharp Prayut is just cleaning up the mess 14 years of Shinawatras did to Thailand.

Absolute power would be good because it is just for a very limited time.

OMG! Have you been drinking retsina with Costas?

Not retsina, but a few bottles of this nectar:post-218648-0-36646800-1427704071_thumb.

Invoking Section 44 to replace martial law draws mixed reactions

30-3-2558-15-24-30-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha' s statement that he would lift martial but invoke Section 44 of the interim Constitution as a tool to maintain peace and order in the country drew mixed reaction from politicians and activists with some fearing even worsened power abuse while some questioning its practical and effective enforcements.

According to Mr Panitan Watanayakorn, advisor to deputy prime minister in charge if security, Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, the prime minister had contemplating lifting martial law since early this year but this was held back after the bomb explosions that were politically motivated.

He said invoking Section 44 as a tool to maintain peace and order might not give broader authority like martial law.
Thus was significant and prompted authorities to thinking of how to issue order under Section 44 to govern the country and ensure peace and order won’t be jeopardised.

He said the National Council for Peace and Order has designated the deputy prime minister in charge of legal matters, Dr Wisanu Krue-ngam to consider preparing the order.

Prime Minister Prayut said martial law could be lifted anytime it was ready, stating that martial law and emergency decree have all been enforced but still could not put the country in real peace and order.

Therefore significant factors to invoke Section 44 was how to bring real peace and order back to the country, he said.

In reaction to incoming Section 44, deputy leader of the Democrat party Nipit Intarasombat said invoking Section 44 will require an announcement to detail the use of power.

This could raise fear that order under Section 44 might not be decisive as martial law which delegates power to the military to work without resorting to violent mean.

He doubted if the order given power to authorities will still work efficiently and practically same as order under martial lka.

Pheu Thai party’s acting secretary general Phumtham Vejayachai said he welcomed the lifting of martial law, but feared that invoking Section 44 might be worsened in law enforcement.

He said invoking Section 44 was tantamount to give absolute power to one person or the head of the NCPO who will exercise three powers, administrative, legislative and judicial, under one person.

Such situation would be same as Article 17 used by former prime minister Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat, he recalled.

Director of Thailand Reform Institute, formally known as People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) Suriyasai Katasila, meanwhile, said invoking Section 44 to replace martial law could reduce pressure from international communities at certain level.

But it didn’t mean that enforcing Section 44 could be saved from international pressure for election.

Section 44 will give absolute power to a single person.

He said the original cause of pressure from outside is election while local pressure is also from same political group that lost power after the military coup.

He advised that the government must deal decisively with those armed groups and their financial backers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/invoking-section-44-to-replace-martial-law-draws-mixed-reactions

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-30

I would like to know why many on here are really worried and what is it they think will happen?

I work here and have a stake in Thailand's success. Section 44 is a move further backwards and would undoubtedly make investors even more leery.

Now if the international headlines read "Thailand Drops Martial Law" - I would be happy and the global perception of the country would indeed brighten.

However, the headline "Thailand Drops Martial Law but Gives Junta Leader Absolute Power" would NOT have a positive effect in terms of encouraging the international community to invest here. Even if it had the sub-headline "Don't Worry, He Means Well".

Edited by kblaze

"...Niran believes that there is now no need for martial law or Article 44, because if there was a situation that needed to be controlled, the junta government could either issue a state of emergency or use the Internal Security Act to tackle it..."

This is 100% true. Remove martial law, do not institute article 44 and the is no situation the NCPO could not handle at a moments notice. After all, they are firmly in control and they have all the guns and all the power. Just what is it Prayuth and the NCPO is REALLY worried about? What is it they are REALLY trying to achieve?

"...Niran believes that there is now no need for martial law or Article 44, because if there was a situation that needed to be controlled, the junta government could either issue a state of emergency or use the Internal Security Act to tackle it..."

This is 100% true. Remove martial law, do not institute article 44 and the is no situation the NCPO could not handle at a moments notice. After all, they are firmly in control and they have all the guns and all the power. Just what is it Prayuth and the NCPO is REALLY worried about? What is it they are REALLY trying to achieve?

A future event that we can't talk about.

• Like 1