grocery store which lacks "Thai-ness"

toenail

Whenever I buy a basket full of items at Tops (Tops grocery store at Central or Tops mini-mart near Markland hotel-apartments ) the cashier is about as lively as a wet dish rag. No looking up at the customer, no "hello"...no "sawadee", no smile-expressionless. Are the working conditions there so terrible and torturing that the cashiers are suffering from depression? This is certainly not a good example of Thailand being the land of smiles.

Yes, I think it has to do with training (which is rare in many Thai owned establishments). Ages ago, (when I was in university) I worked as a cashier/stock boy at a grocery store chain. There was training in how to handle customers and the importance to greet the customer. At the time I thought it was "normal" to say hello to the person you were meeting at the cash register --unless it was some cranky negative customer.

Nice to hear positive comments about Foodland and Friendship grocery stores. If we live in Pattaya, or any place else, we want to do business at a business where you feel welcomed.

In my opinion Friendship must take the biscuit

JT - how about a poll?

A poll was taken today by a leading poll company in thailand. 1135 people were asked what was their favourite supermarket.

Results of the poll was that 85% of the respondents preferred the junta.

Food Mart in Jomtien. They are miserable.

I hope to get a hello or hopefully a thank you but nooooo.

One day I did get a bizarre reply from the cashier.

Me: Hi, how are you?

Her: "I'm not rich like the farang."

I guess she's not planning on scamming me or screwing me so why be nice?

I am not shopping at Food mart much , mainly because they are more expensive but also the lack of smiles and the attitude among the staff towards foreigners. Maybe they have experienced drunk and rude tourists and had enough of it, who knows.

Yes , they are playing with us , a couple of the girls are actually cute but they just hate us don't they ? No smiles and try to ask a question and you will most certainly get a rude reply back . Stay away.

I've found that though the Foodmart cashiers may seem a bit dour, the stock persons and even the cleaning staff on the floor are wonderfully helpful and friendly when I can't find a particular item.

I prefer the less friendly staff. The sound of wailing "Swadeekrap" "chernkrap" everytime I walk into my local 7/11 drives me mad.

Its a pleasure when they are busy and don't notice when people walk in. Tho I think they are tuned onto the doorbell as there is often the thrill sound of welcome even if there is no one entering or leaving.

I am not shopping at Food mart much , mainly because they are more expensive but also the lack of smiles and the attitude among the staff towards foreigners. Maybe they have experienced drunk and rude tourists and had enough of it, who knows.

Yes , they are playing with us , a couple of the girls are actually cute but they just hate us don't they ? No smiles and try to ask a question and you will most certainly get a rude reply back . Stay away.

I used to go in there when my (ex) GF lived nearby. I can't recall a more miserable staff in Thailand than in that Food Mart. Must have been the dour, dismissive Russians who crapped on their party. It's polar opposite is Foodland on Klang, although I can't help thinking the Foodland staff are running through scripts in their heads rather than being naturally polite. Once in a while I joke a little bit with a cashier and their expressions are blank. They'd rather chat with the box boys. They just want to see the end of their shifts. I can imagine that clerking there they see farang and Thais come in and spend 4000 baht without batting an eyelid, which is far more than a clerk's monthly rent. Overall in Thailand, we are just money pouches. In the end, the quality of living here has gone down over the years.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

It must have something to do with the way how the shop treat its staff. The employs are very friendly at Foodland and professional. Also you see many employs who works there since years. So i guess, the working conditions must be much better.

Edited by alocacoc

Hmm...

You are surprised because she answered your question by an actual answer that matters.

The smalltalk in farangland is as fake as some of the smiles over here.

How about you make her day and slip her a 100 baht, you have no idea what her life is really like. Step up and make a difference.

How about I slip her 1,000 baht if she makes my day?rolleyes.gif

That is quite possible the reason they don't like foreigners.. the idea that all thai girls are for sale.

• 4 months later...

I am happy to report that the rudeness of the staff, especially the cashiers now is a history of the past.

I have been there 4 times now and they started greeting me and I actually get some smiles there. 2 of the rude girls I remember from last year have probably been sacked. Good to see foodmart did something about their staff, they must have received a lot of complaints.

I used to go in there when my (ex) GF lived nearby. I can't recall a more miserable staff in Thailand than in that Food Mart. Must have been the dour, dismissive Russians who crapped on their party. It's polar opposite is Foodland on Klang, although I can't help thinking the Foodland staff are running through scripts in their heads rather than being naturally polite. Once in a while I joke a little bit with a cashier and their expressions are blank. They'd rather chat with the box boys. They just want to see the end of their shifts. I can imagine that clerking there they see farang and Thais come in and spend 4000 baht without batting an eyelid, which is far more than a clerk's monthly rent. Overall in Thailand, we are just money pouches. In the end, the quality of living here has gone down over the years.

QUOTE In the end, the quality of living here has gone down over the years. UNQUOTE

Yes indeed - not to mention the quality of the farangs living here...

Yes, I think it has to do with training (which is rare in many Thai owned establishments). Ages ago, (when I was in university) I worked as a cashier/stock boy at a grocery store chain. There was training in how to handle customers and the importance to greet the customer. At the time I thought it was "normal" to say hello to the person you were meeting at the cash register --unless it was some cranky negative customer.

Nice to hear positive comments about Foodland and Friendship grocery stores. If we live in Pattaya, or any place else, we want to do business at a business where you feel welcomed.

Do not think its training , it's lack of management presence and complete and utter lack of desire to work, which is common in most businesses in Thailand .

Some businesses are better at selecting staff , some will employ anyone because lack of employees.

In my business, I dismiss lifeless beings the same day and as a result I work 18-20 hour days without a day off, not many managers or owners willing to do that.

Edited by konying

Well, they got shit jobs!

And when they reach the necessary time on the job to get a raise, they are pushed out the door.

When you see a depressed cashier, try to launch a friendly "sawasdee krap", normally this already cheers them up.

The 7/11's and Family Marts staff are great. Always say hello and a even try to help you if they can speak a little English. Big C are not to bad either, they always wai2.gif you when you have paid the bill and receipt is returned. The others, well their bosses should start doing their jobs and keep on pushing and training their staff to do the right thing and be a bit more courteous. If 7/11 can get it right with their staff why can't others?

Do not think its training , it's lack of management presence and complete and utter lack of desire to work, which is common in most businesses in Thailand .

Some businesses are better at selecting staff , some will employ anyone because lack of employees.

In my business, I dismiss lifeless beings the same day and as a result I work 18-20 hour days without a day off, not many managers or owners willing to do that.

Assuming playing on the Internet constitutes "working".

Seems most of the cashiers/clerks/wait-staff I come in contact with are nice enough.

Farang business owners I meet? Not so much...

The 7/11's and Family Marts staff are great. Always say hello and a even try to help you if they can speak a little English. Big C are not to bad either, they always wai2.gif you when you have paid the bill and receipt is returned. The others, well their bosses should start doing their jobs and keep on pushing and training their staff to do the right thing and be a bit more courteous. If 7/11 can get it right with their staff why can't others?

Generalizing there a little

Visit family mart near Honda big wing and see if you will say staff are great.

3 or 4 years now, of daily visits i am yet to receive a hello or a thank you or a smile.

7-11's on 3 road, not only there is no hello, thank you or a smile, but you get a growling face because staff busy listening to music or chatting on the phone

Assuming playing on the Internet constitutes "working".

Seems most of the cashiers/clerks/wait-staff I come in contact with are nice enough.

Farang business owners I meet? Not so much...

Must be your charming personality in your delusional little troll worldthumbsup.gif

Pehaps farang business owners come from a culture where it is acceptable to tell an idiot he is one, while in Thai culture, it is preferred to smile to your face while despising every bone in your body

Will let you draw your own conclusionswhistling.gif