Best Burger in Bangkok 2015......

smokie36

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the truck on Soi 38?....is that any good?

The truck on 38 is banged out all night long. Think they open about 6 or 7 o'clock. I know people who travel a long way to eat there. Owned by a Scandinavian of some ilk. There are both Thai and Westeners in the queue. I am led to believe he has made so much money he now has a shop opened far end of Suk 55.

Never tried it myself as I'm not a burger fan.

Daniel Thaiger on Soi 38, they start at around 5PM and are usually sold out be 830PM, need to get there quick. In that time they sell around 150 burgers and yes they are damn tasty. Truck is right outside my apartment and it is owned by Mark and his Thai wife, he is from LA. I think if you like a good burger with a nice bun, this place is for you however only you can judge...I like them.

Sorry to sidetrack, whats up with all the westerners opening food trucks? Authorities don't crack down on their work permits?

Papa's Kitchen has been getting good reviews lately.

How about the truck on Soi 38?....is that any good?

The truck on 38 is banged out all night long. Think they open about 6 or 7 o'clock. I know people who travel a long way to eat there. Owned by a Scandinavian of some ilk. There are both Thai and Westeners in the queue. I am led to believe he has made so much money he now has a shop opened far end of Suk 55.

Never tried it myself as I'm not a burger fan.

Daniel Thaiger on Soi 38, they start at around 5PM and are usually sold out be 830PM, need to get there quick. In that time they sell around 150 burgers and yes they are damn tasty. Truck is right outside my apartment and it is owned by Mark and his Thai wife, he is from LA. I think if you like a good burger with a nice bun, this place is for you however only you can judge...I like them.

Sorry to sidetrack, whats up with all the westerners opening food trucks? Authorities don't crack down on their work permits?

Papa's Kitchen has been getting good reviews lately.

There seems to be 4 Thai ladies working in the truck, so I guess he is running legally.

Definitively not at the pub in the Ascott hotel, they do not cook the bun, serve on a cold bun. The same at the Roadhouse barbecue on Suriwong road, sorry cold bun, not roast at all to save time I suppose. It is difficult to find a decent burger outside North America.

Nothing at Roadhouse is any good.

I know that is a ridiculous thing to say, but everything I have ordered or tasted there has been bad. Plus their portions are very small, but prices are premium. terrible burgers, ribs, chili, wings. I stopped there.

Whats the name and location of the place in Onnut which someone mentioned?????

the only place I know in Onnut is the Cheesebreak truck which is parked like a food stall in that market on north side just down from the BTS. the space is a market with competing beer bars and music. the space is dirty, hot, and loud. but the burger is good enough to go for if I am nearby and need one.

good enough is how I would describe it. not one of the best.

they used to use imported ribeye, now they use local ribeye. but the burger is edible. has some fillers.

the cheese steak used to be the thing to get at that stall when they were out at JJ Green. But even then it was kinda over rated.

i am opinionated about burgers. will reply with a few I like.

there are a lot of terrible burgers.

Bangkok Burger Company - had one at Mega Bangna. Worst burger ever.

Oddly enough, the best burger for me was at Outback Steakhouse. For years it was great. Consistent. Quality. Cooked perfectly to order and the bun and fixins were top quality. (not eaten there in a year or more)

Bourbon Street has good quality and consistent taste. The fillers don't overwhelm the burger but it is obvious they are there. And the patty is small.

Iron Fairies in Tonglor does an excellent burger. (not eaten there in a year or more)

For fast food, Carl's Jr is the best, but not by much. Plus they are twice the price of other fast food. And agree with earlier post - they have gone downhill and it is not clear why. Worth eating if you are hungry.

I heard the burger at Gauchos - Argentinian Steakhouse is great. I ate there couple times but never got a burger - only ordered steaks.

A good burger is not magic but is seems a mystery to many non-Americans.

I make them at home once in a while.

Order sirloin steak and have them grind it twice. yes, 2 times. Make sure the fat content is about 10%. If it is low, I will sometimes add butter when making the burger patty later at home. For buns, I get a ciabatta from Villa or the Gourmet Mkt. I have not found a good burger bun or kaiser roll here in bangkok. I add no fillers, but it is not a bad idea. egg, some breadcrumbs, light seasoning, and salt and pepper can all go into the patty. I like a bit Worcestershire sauce occasionally. if the Mrs is eating, I make hers with lots of seasoning, mostly italian stuff and "prik bon" ground dried chili.

And as always with meats, cook it only for a few minutes each side, and let it rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.

Mold the patty and grill or if I have to I will fry them on high heat to be sure to carmelize the outside.

there are a lot of terrible burgers.

Bangkok Burger Company - had one at Mega Bangna. Worst burger ever.

Oddly enough, the best burger for me was at Outback Steakhouse. For years it was great. Consistent. Quality. Cooked perfectly to order and the bun and fixins were top quality. (not eaten there in a year or more)

Bourbon Street has good quality and consistent taste. The fillers don't overwhelm the burger but it is obvious they are there. And the patty is small.

Iron Fairies in Tonglor does an excellent burger. (not eaten there in a year or more)

For fast food, Carl's Jr is the best, but not by much. Plus they are twice the price of other fast food. And agree with earlier post - they have gone downhill and it is not clear why. Worth eating if you are hungry.

I heard the burger at Gauchos - Argentinian Steakhouse is great. I ate there couple times but never got a burger - only ordered steaks.

A good burger is not magic but is seems a mystery to many non-Americans.

I make them at home once in a while.

Order sirloin steak and have them grind it twice. yes, 2 times. Make sure the fat content is about 10%. If it is low, I will sometimes add butter when making the burger patty later at home. For buns, I get a ciabatta from Villa or the Gourmet Mkt. I have not found a good burger bun or kaiser roll here in bangkok. I add no fillers, but it is not a bad idea. egg, some breadcrumbs, light seasoning, and salt and pepper can all go into the patty. I like a bit Worcestershire sauce occasionally. if the Mrs is eating, I make hers with lots of seasoning, mostly italian stuff and "prik bon" ground dried chili.

And as always with meats, cook it only for a few minutes each side, and let it rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.

Mold the patty and grill or if I have to I will fry them on high heat to be sure to carmelize the outside.

I agree with you on Bangkok Burger Ate there once and the burgers suck. But then there are a lot of people that live in Thailand so if everyone just ate their once I guess the would make money but without question not a good burger Joint I will agree that outback has a decent burger and Down stars in Paragon where you buy your groceries there is a small place called Chock Dee that makes killer burgers They actually use real beef not fillers like Bangkok burger makes

For fast food burgers - Carl's wins it for me, but i assume we are not talking fast food.

Firehouse is good, but i don't know why their burgers have to be so messy. I am not complaining about burger juice, but more the sauce or whatever they put on. Anyway, every burger is a mess, but quite tasty.

I like a relatively dry burger. Beef, cheese, and bacon. A burger is not a burger without bacon. Fried onions are good too. There is no need to drown it in sauce or coleslaw.

The little American place (forgot the name) right outside Lolita's does a very very nice burger, though i haven't been there in 2015.

Edited by EmptyHead

Might surprise some but at sizzler the burgers are quite ok

Second that. Had a cracking burger there recently.

When i first went to Sizzlers about 5 years ago, i wasn't impressed. Crappy meat and basic salad bar. But now, you get decent meat and a very extensive salad bar.

If you didn't like Sizzlers before - try again!

that guy stickman goes on about the burger at bus stop on suk soi 4. absolute crap.

he also raves about sunrsie tacos (an advertiser on his site surprise surprise) and that place is rubbish too.

i come from a farming community back home and the meat is fabulous. i've never had anything remotely what i'd call a decent burger in bangkok.

that guy stickman goes on about the burger at bus stop on suk soi 4. absolute crap.

he also raves about sunrsie tacos (an advertiser on his site surprise surprise) and that place is rubbish too.

i come from a farming community back home and the meat is fabulous. i've never had anything remotely what i'd call a decent burger in bangkok.

Besides the place your referred too, many others you have tried that in your opinion don't make the grade?

Actually, Stickman turned me on to Sunrise Tacos for their burger. It was like 180B for a half pounder and a steal. I missed them last week as they aren't in Emporium anymore. The best I've had is at Dallas Steak House (where Coyotes was at the entrance to 33). It was a 1/2 lb & perfect except for the price - 450B.

230 munchies smokes? May I hazard a suggestion and head over to the western food section and the 4,122 page topic associated with said request for some light reading?

Looking for an up to date reply James....anyway aren't you busy in the gym these days? biggrin.png

Lets get one thing straight matey, just because I go to the gym don't mean I don't eat beef. Au Contraire mes amis, I like a good burger now and again..

There are the usual suspects, Bangkok Burger, Pullman G, Carl's, too many to list but so much is down to personal taste.

Where's the beef you might ask? (or not). Wendy took it home with her 16 years ago. Beetroot from downunder - get that <deleted> purple thing off my burger and put it in the salad. Fusion wasabi and topped with faux grass - you can keep it along with your Japanese Pizza you chimp-pansey.

A real burger contains two things in my opinion - good old ground chuck / charles or charlie from North America - preferrably from the north of it, and some quality chedder. the more the bedder.

But tis a can o worms you open once again to which I will leave you with one piece of advice, for those who are about to dine - I salute you....

I also favour cheddar....but I like it somewhat melted on top....onions I don't mind....but not fried preferably.

One thing it seems no one in Bangkok gets right is the bun....and that's an essential part of a great burger.

So....where is the best burger?

I like Burger King and the one in the mall upstairs on the corner of Suk Soi 3 (opposite the gas station on the corner of Nana Soi 4) suits me. Carls Jnr is also in same mall, right next to BK, if you prefer them. I am sure there are good Gourmet burgers in select places around the town but I always finder Burger King reliable & to my taste. (but maybe not the best which is what you asked for)

Soi38 where exactly? Thanks

Thong lor BTS you will see the restaurants on Soi 38 as you walk towards the exit. Make sure to exit at number 4.

The burger van is at the end of the stalls. 2 minute walk at most from the BTS.

Mind you don't get run over. There is a thread about not being able to walk on the pavements elsewere. Here they have the tables and chairs on the road itself.

All good fun.

Edited by berybert

230 munchies smokes? May I hazard a suggestion and head over to the western food section and the 4,122 page topic associated with said request for some light reading?

Looking for an up to date reply James....anyway aren't you busy in the gym these days? biggrin.png

Lets get one thing straight matey, just because I go to the gym don't mean I don't eat beef. Au Contraire mes amis, I like a good burger now and again..

There are the usual suspects, Bangkok Burger, Pullman G, Carl's, too many to list but so much is down to personal taste.

Where's the beef you might ask? (or not). Wendy took it home with her 16 years ago. Beetroot from downunder - get that <deleted> purple thing off my burger and put it in the salad. Fusion wasabi and topped with faux grass - you can keep it along with your Japanese Pizza you chimp-pansey.

A real burger contains two things in my opinion - good old ground chuck / charles or charlie from North America - preferrably from the north of it, and some quality chedder. the more the bedder.

But tis a can o worms you open once again to which I will leave you with one piece of advice, for those who are about to dine - I salute you....

I also favour cheddar....but I like it somewhat melted on top....onions I don't mind....but not fried preferably.

One thing it seems no one in Bangkok gets right is the bun....and that's an essential part of a great burger.

So....where is the best burger?

I like Burger King and the one in the mall upstairs on the corner of Suk Soi 3 (opposite the gas station on the corner of Nana Soi 4) suits me. Carls Jnr is also in same mall, right next to BK, if you prefer them. I am sure there are good Gourmet burgers in select places around the town but I always finder Burger King reliable & to my taste. (but maybe not the best which is what you asked for)

That's fair enough....just post your favourites....up to us if we want to go try it.

For me, Carl's Jr. is my burger favorite in Bangkok. Dunno that I can or would say it's the best, but it's a consistently good, reliable burger that tastes mostly like a burger should, with the right mix of toppings, and on a soft, pleasant tasting bun. And for me, the added feature of them having a jalapeno burger, which happens to be my personal favorite.

I've tried a lot of the so-called restaurant burger places around BKK, and have mostly been unimpressed. Funky tasting meat, burgers formed in the shape of meatballs, chefs who try to make their "gourmet" burgers something other than a burger, bad/stale/tough buns, poor service by folks who don't have the slightest idea how to prepare or serve a burger, etc etc.

Other than those places:

--I continue to hear good things about Daniel Thaiger's burger truck, though I never seem to be hanging out in Thong Lor in the evenings looking for a burger to take home or eat on the street. And I like even less having to queue up for one.

--Duke's in the Emporium is long-gone.

--Some long time past, I tried and quite liked one of the burgers at the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square. A bit pricey, but probably among the closest to an American style burger I've found in BKK, and quite well executed.

--Some folks here have given positive comments for the (I think) 500 baht hamburgers at El Gaucho Argentinian steak house near Terminal 21. But I simply on principle won't pay 500 baht for a hamburger. FWIW, they've just recently opened a new (I presume second) branch near the top of Suk Soi 11.

--The place in the basement of Siam Paragon is Chok Chai, not Chok Dee, and it's a counter outlet for the Chok Chai Steakhouse chain. Tried the burgers both at their restaurant and Paragon locales, and never felt the desire to go back (at least for their burgers).

--I've been meaning to try Fatty's near Rama 9, and have heard good things. But last time I checked, they're only open from late afternoon on, no lunch service.

--As for Sunrise Tacos, the first burger of theirs I tried at their Suk Soi 12 branch was surprisingly good. So I tried another at their Terminal 21 branch, and it was exceptionally bad, as was a follow-up try at Suk Soi 12. So they're kind of off my burger list.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK