Hutch Etc What Are Yor Views

wilko

After several months I have established that neither TT&T or TOT can give me a broadband connection, and I'm fed up with the extraordinarily slow dial-up connection I have so I'm looking for an alternative way to connect my lap-top to the net.

At the moment I'm looking at Hutch who claim to be a little quicker than dial-up and charge 4400 baht for the lap-top card.

Has anyone used this service or do you have any other recomendations as to what I might do?

thanks.......

Good question Wilco..I was just about to post a similar point. I've had Hutch Sierra Aircard 555 for about 18 months now, and it works just as well in the village, as in Pattaya.

1500 a month, unlimited downloads.

I saw some info somewhere to the effect that Hutch now have Wireless ADSL...via a different card.

I went to Hutch's office in Pattaya a few days ago. They gave me a brochure, and told me they were out of stock of the ADSL modem.

Yesterday. I was in Pacific Fair in Siracha, and asked Hutch's Chonburi office about it.

A woman told me that the ADSL modem is "slower than than Aircard."

What gives??

What to do now?

It all sounds a bit suspect, so I'll get Diana-the Godess-of-Love to call Hutch's BKK office.

A friend has a Solomon powered AIS deal.

I'll take my laptop to his house today or tomorrow, and ask him to do a connection speed test....against Aircard.

As the redoubtable Jim Godber has observed on another thread, Solomon is good...as is Aircard.

I've had no problems at all.

If there really IS no fast wireless internet...maybe a switch to Solomon will give a few extra miles per hour .

And even though there may be nothing better available right now, mayber some fast modem WILL come sometime

I have a 9,500 baht USB Solomon and gave it a friend of mine to use after I discovered that my Nokia cell phone worked better through a Bluetooth dongle than the Solomon. Don't expect to see any improvement. As far as Hutch I use a friend's Hutch when I am in Jomtien. It's no DSL for sure but it is much better than GPRS but not much better than dial up. Unfortunately the Hutch coverage is very limited. Hutch is pretty fast at times but also quite slow at other times.

I posted a reply here a few minutes ago but it's completely vanished.

I'm basically hoping to achieve three things....

1. A slightly fast connection than my dial-up.

2. save a little money as my dial-up costs me about 600 to 900 a month.

3. Get access in a wider variety of places than just my office.

You don't seem to like Solomon but I want to use it on my laptop...any phone calls etc I'm not interested in.

At the moment I got info yesterday from Hutch at Dut.com in Sri Racha.

It appears that the card is 4400 and the services on offer range from 390 with download limit to 999 baht unlimited.

Extra charges for downloads over the limit and I can't see any others.....

Edited by wilko

Wilko....my understanding is that Hutch use the Sierra 555 Aircard...which MAY have been superceded by another Aircard...poking out ADSL

AIS use Solomon, sold through Wattana Computers in Pattaya Klang

It's worth asking if what they want to sell you for 4400 baht IS Aircard 555...or Solomon...or indeed, the ADSL Aircard

My mate assures me that his Solomon goes appreciably faster with a driver uipdate.