Help/advice Needed On Car Registration

Hi there fellow motorists,

I'm in a bit of a pickle with regards to changing names on the 'little blue ownership book' belonging to the motor I've purchased.

I bought the pick up off of a fellow Brit who has now gone back to the UK. He left me with a signed photocopy of his passport, showing the photo page and his visa (which was in order). He also left me the Thai 'transfer documents' (3 in all) which he has signed (I hope in the correct places).

The problem is that when I went to transfer my name over, the kind and informative :o lady behind the transport office counter told me that without a signed proof of residency from the seller, I can't complete the transfer. :D

I know where he lived in Bangkok - I went there to buy the pick up. I will go back there this weekend in the hope that 'some records' remain of his presence there. Also, I will contact the British Embassy in the hope that he went there to get an official 'letter of residency' (I forget the real name of the doc).

If the 2 actions I've listed above fail, can anybody suggest another course of action?

Tthis post might serve as a guide to anybody buying a 2nd hand motor. :D

As a side point, the cost of transfer (in my province, Nakhon Pathom, at least) is 50bhat per 10,000bhat of the vehicle's value, so 1750bhat for a 350k pick up. I read on here that it was 5% of its value - a significant difference in my favour :D - so it wasn't all bad

Cheers,

James