When prune trees ?

april81

I remember reading a post from Dr. Treelove, who was a knowledgeable poster on all things tree, in this forum some years ago, in reply to a similar question.

His answer, was what he was told by the person who trained him in tree management

" THE BEST TIME TO PRUNE IS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PRUNING SHEARS IN YOUR HAND."

I would imagine to give a decent answer would be to know what trees ,how old, how high, are they that you intend to prune. Fruit trees are best to prune after fruiting.

Some one will have an answer depending on tree type.

CHEERS

BAYBOY

I remember reading a post from Dr. Treelove, who was a knowledgeable poster on all things tree, in this forum some years ago, in reply to a similar question.

His answer, was what he was told by the person who trained him in tree management

" THE BEST TIME TO PRUNE IS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PRUNING SHEARS IN YOUR HAND."

I would imagine to give a decent answer would be to know what trees ,how old, how high, are they that you intend to prune. Fruit trees are best to prune after fruiting.

Some one will have an answer depending on tree type.

CHEERS

BAYBOY

I can't add much to that but the problem is that people are sometimes very nervous about pruning.

After harvesting fruit, if you have fruit trees, after flowering if your shrubs / trees are decorative. in the tropics trees grow all the time. witness what happens when roadside trees get ravaged by guys with machetes and they grow again.

Just do it. It all depends on what result you are looking for.