Pongpat gets another two and half years in jail

webfact

Pongpat gets another two and half years in jail
The Nation

30257231-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced Pongpat Chayapan, former chief of the Central Investigation Bureau, to another two and a half years in jail for failing to report the discovery and acquisition of 51 ancient artefacts and possessing them without permission. The items will now be put under state ownership.

Pongpat was initially given a five-year term, but the court later halved it because of his useful confession.

Pongpat, 59, has been given a jail term of 31 years and nine months in five cases (collecting bribes from promoted police officers; collecting bribes from oil smugglers; being involved in a gambling den; money laundering; and violating the Forestry Act).

The latest sentence has raised the total sentence to 33 years and three months.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Pongpat-gets-another-two-and-half-years-in-jail-30257231.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-02

• Like 2

lost weight already...good exercise program, I guess...

That's what I thought too... In the OP photo above, he looks a LOT thinner than the past photos when I saw him in uniform.

Maybe it's just because he's no longer wearing all the ribbons and brass on his chest...

Wonder if he'll he be quietly pardoned some years down the road? Kind of hard to believe a high ranking Thai police official would ever end up spending his full sentence in a Thai prison. They just don't do it that way, here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

33 years and 3 Months? I have to tell the Missus to buy Thai Lottery Tickets with those 3 numbers at the end for the next drawing. 33 333. Oh, how far down the High and Mighty have fallen! thumbsup.gif

Edited by SinCityGr8One