US Senator Bob Menendez charged with corruption

webfact

US Senate foreign affairs expert indicted
ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press
SEAN CARLIN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top Democrat on the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee was indicted on corruption charges Wednesday, accused of using his office to improperly benefit an eye doctor and political donor.

The indictment charged Sen. Bob Menendez with 14 counts, including bribery and conspiracy, over his ties to Dr. Salomon Melgen, a wealthy doctor and the politician's longtime friend.

The indictment clouds the political future of Menendez, the committee's former chairman, who has played a leading role in Congress on matters involving Iran's nuclear program and U.S. efforts to improve ties with Cuba. The son of Cuban immigrants, he has risen to become one of the highest ranking Hispanic members of Congress.

A person familiar with Menendez's situation, who was not authorized to discuss the senator's plans publicly, said Menendez would voluntarily and temporarily step aside from his role as top Democrat on the committee.

Menendez was expected to make a statement later Wednesday in New Jersey.

Menendez becomes the first sitting U.S. senator to be indicated in seven years. Melgen also was charged in the case.

The indictment from an investigating jury in Menendez' state of New Jersey was the latest development in a federal investigation that came into public view when federal authorities raided Melgen's medical offices two years ago. The investigation focused on whether the senator had improperly advocated on Melgen's behalf, including by intervening in a billing dispute involving a government health program.

Menendez has acknowledged that he flew multiple times on Melgen's private jet to the Dominican Republic and initially failed to properly pay for the trips. Menendez in 2013 agreed to reimburse Melgen $58,500 for the full cost of two flights.

Last year, Menendez disclosed that his campaign accounts had paid a law firm $250,000 for legal costs related to investigations by the Justice Department and the Senate Ethics Committee of his ties to Melgen.

Menendez has acknowledged taking actions that could benefit Melgen, among them contacting U.S. health agencies to ask about billing practices and policies.

But the lawmaker has said he did nothing wrong and that he and Melgen have been friends for decades.

"We celebrated holidays together," he once told reporters. "We have been there for family weddings and sad times like funerals and have given each other birthday, holiday and wedding presents, just as friends do."

Melgen came under renewed scrutiny when government data last year showed he had received more in government medical reimbursements in 2012 than any other doctor in the country.

Menedez joined the Senate in 2006 after serving more than a decade in the House of Representatives.
____

Associated Press writer Sean Carlin reported from Newark, New Jersey.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-02

any politicians that takes money from any lobbyist should be locked up. The whole system is set up for corruption.

I believe that the American system of governance is more corrupt than Thailand's.

The Republicans are in the pockets of big pharma and big food, especially the GMO seed producing firms such as Monsanto through receiving election funds and bribes to lobby on their behalf

I agree with you - lobbying should be either strictly controlled or banned..

What does this have to do with Republicans?

The Senator is a Democrat.

No Republicans were injured in the making of this indictment.

I know that he is a Democrat as it states this several times in the article.

I was just talking generally and Republicans seem to be the main instigators and benefactors from this immoral and unethical lobbying.

That's a good start. 533 more to go.

If you cannot beat em in the ballot box get em on corruption. As the above poster states only 533 more to go. If you dig deep enough I am sure there is evidence on all of them. Looks like the Republicans really want to look like Supergov running up to the 2016 presidential election. They are going for all the marbles. If they get all the marbles be prepared for a sh*t storm.

Why do you people seem to believe Republicans are behind the indictment of Senator Menendez?

If you can pause for a moment, why not look at the situation with an open mind.

1. The US Justice Department brought the charges. Who is in charge of the DOJ and who does he report to?

2. What recent piece of proposed legislation has been mentioned with which Sen. Menendez is a prime sponsor?

3. What is happening in Switzerland as we speak?

These charges were made public a couple of years ago. A very opportune time to issue an indictment does not occur by coincidence.

Chicago politics.

Who and what post are you replying to?

Why do you people seem to believe Republicans are behind the indictment of Senator Menendez?

If you can pause for a moment, why not look at the situation with an open mind.

1. The US Justice Department brought the charges. Who is in charge of the DOJ and who does he report to?

2. What recent piece of proposed legislation has been mentioned with which Sen. Menendez is a prime sponsor?

3. What is happening in Switzerland as we speak?

These charges were made public a couple of years ago. A very opportune time to issue an indictment does not occur by coincidence.

Chicago politics.

Who and what post are you replying to?

When I am replying to a post, I normally quote that post in my reply. Similar to this particular post.

Have you never heard of a rhetorical question?

Oh, I am convinced the guy is a sleaze ball. What I have questions about is the timing of this indictment.

Just when things aren't going too swimmingly for the Iranian nuclear discussions and Obama's self-imposed red line is here, one of the few Democrats that is willing to raise sanctions on Iran is indicted?

Lots of stink in this one

• Like 2

When Americans will learn that Democrats and Republicans are players of the same team, but strategy indicates that is good to make people believes that its are competitors?. Those people and parties are working together, and for big corporations, to keep the control of the longest world's dictatorship, and the most corrupted country in the world.

The US.

Edited by umbanda

That's a good start. 533 more to go.

If you cannot beat em in the ballot box get em on corruption. As the above poster states only 533 more to go. If you dig deep enough I am sure there is evidence on all of them. Looks like the Republicans really want to look like Supergov running up to the 2016 presidential election. They are going for all the marbles. If they get all the marbles be prepared for a sh*t storm.

Loosing their marbles is more likely thumbsup.gif