Golden Retriver

We need 2 male golden retriver. We can afford to buy but we don't know why when never we buy, it always die. so if anyone have a golden retriver (puppies) pls contact us. It would be very kind of you.

If you have bought from Chatuchak or the equivallent, you have probably bought dogs that were sickly, so don't fret. My Golden is a female and is not for sale, but we did pay THB 10,000 for her which is the price Neeranam is quoting, hence, it is within the market.

Scoobygirl, if you are buying a pedigreed golden (we will assume it is a legitimate dog registered with the Kennel Club of Thailand), at approx. 2 months old the breeder will either tatoo the inside of the dog's ear with a number or inject a chip with similar information. This info is sent to the Kennel club of Thailand and becomes part of the dog's registration. These days, most inject the chip, as was done with my dog. While I am not sure why this is important, it seems to be with those who keep up with pedigrees, so if buying a pedigreed golden you would want to check that this is done. If not, you can get it done by a Vet who is authorized by the Kennel Club of Thailand to do it, but it is always best to get these things done early on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought a Golden Rettriever and after having a cold that nearly killed him after 3 months old he started to have epileptic type fits. We took him to the VET (again) and he gave us a seditive type drug to control the seizures. Since this the dog has got no power at all and just sleeps all day and can barley stand up.

Can anyone help with letting me know what problems the dog may have??

The vet says it is just epliepsy and we have had the dog checked for everything and seems to be fine.

Scoobygirl how did your dogs die??

I have recently bought a Golden Rettriever and after having a cold that nearly killed him after 3 months old he started to have epileptic type fits. We took him to the VET (again) and he gave us a seditive type drug to control the seizures. Since this the dog has got no power at all and just sleeps all day and can barley stand up.

The vet says it is just epliepsy and we have had the dog checked for everything and seems to be fine.

Deanow, if you are questioning your Vet's prognosis, why don't you take your dog to another Vet for a second opinion? There are a number of good Vet's in the major cities in Thailand.

It started of wityh a 'cold' followed by epileptic-kind of attacks and has no strenght what so ever? This makes me very suspicion of Canine Distemper.

If your dog is still alive, you can consider asking your (or maybe another) vet, to test for this disease. There are test kits for both parvo-virus and Canine Distemper.

If the test turns out positive, surely change your vet!

Just as a previous posting mentions you need to buy from a reputable breeder.

Golden Retrivers are prime puppy farm 'stock' - large litters(more money) & popular pet - if you have bought yr previous pups from a pet shop/weekend market then death is not suprising.

Female dogs should not be mated before they are two yrs old & then should have every other season off. responsible breeders will not mate their bitches more than 4 times in their live. Having a litter of pups takes alot out of a female dog. The more pups she has the weaker they will become. Imagine having a baby everytime a human had a period. It sounds like you have bought pups from a breeder who over works the bitches, thus resulting in sickly pups.

Golden Retrivers can suffer from a number of health issues - hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, hereditary cataract & Hereditary heart disease, most commonly Subvalvular Aortic Stenosis (SAS) Only those parents tested against these diseases will be free from the above.

Buy responsibly & informed.

We need 2 male golden retriver. We can afford to buy but we don't know why when never we buy, it always die. so if anyone have a golden retriver (puppies) pls contact us. It would be very kind of you.

We paid 3,500 baht for our Bitch, pedigreed, tattoed, wonderful temprement and healthy. 18 months ago from a local breeder of Goldies. Price may have gone up a bit since then, but not to 10,000 Baht

We are in Chaing Mai, I am sure we could put you in touch with them if you were interested and its not too far to come

TP

We paid 3,500 baht for our Bitch, pedigreed, tattoed, wonderful temprement and healthy. 18 months ago from a local breeder of Goldies. Price may have gone up a bit since then, but not to 10,000 Baht

We are in Chaing Mai, I am sure we could put you in touch with them if you were interested and its not too far to come

TP

Since dogs are not commodities, I guess prices vary all over Thailand. Also, if the pedigrees show bloodlines that include champion show dogs, especially national champions of major western countries, then the price understandably goes up. It, of course, doesn't mean the dog is any better, unless perhaps if you are showing the dog.

ThaiPauly, before you say it, I agree that the vast majority of us couldn't care less about show dogs. In our case we just fell in love with our golden, and she happened to have more expensive bloodlines.

TP

Since dogs are not commodities, I guess prices vary all over Thailand. Also, if the pedigrees show bloodlines that include champion show dogs, especially national champions of major western countries, then the price understandably goes up. It, of course, doesn't mean the dog is any better, unless perhaps if you are showing the dog.

ThaiPauly, before you say it, I agree that the vast majority of us couldn't care less about show dogs. In our case we just fell in love with our golden, and she happened to have more expensive bloodlines.

Puppies coming from showlines with champerthechamperthechamp bloodlines, unfortunately, does not guarantee healthy dogs, in my experience. Come across Goldens with hereditary problems way too often at my kennel such as (as mentioned already) bone problems and many with skin problems. :o

One Golden breeder in Chiang Mai that i think is really good is Lanna Goldens, located at Chiang Mai Land, just behind the swimming pool. Their website is www.lannagoldens.com

The owner is very experienced, knowledgeable, and takes good care of his dogs.

He speaks excellent English

TP

Puppies coming from showlines with champerthechamperthechamp bloodlines, unfortunately, does not guarantee healthy dogs, in my experience. Come across Goldens with hereditary problems way too often at my kennel such as (as mentioned already) bone problems and many with skin problems. :o

My reference on bloodlines dealt solely with the price of the dogs, not their health. Cognizant of the numerous health problems possible for goldens, we take ours to the vet for general checkups, not just for shots.