Former army chief named as witness in 2010 crackdown inquiry

webfact

Former Army Chief Named as Witness in 2010 Crackdown Inquiry
By Khaosod English

rs.jpg
Redshirt protesters cheered as they stormed into the Government Complex in Bangkok, 5 April 2010.

BANGKOK — Thailand’s national anti-graft agency has named former army chief Anupong Paochinda as a witness in a legal case investigating the violent military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010.

Panthep Klanarongran, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), said today that Gen. Anupong will testify in defense of former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who has been charged with "abuse of power" for ordering the crackdown that lasted from April to May 2010 and left over 90 people dead.

Abhisit's former deputy, Suthep Thaugsuban, is facing the same charge.

The charges, which were filed in February, are a preliminary step in an impeachment process against the two Democrat Party politicians. If the NACC continues with the case, Abhisit and Suthep’s fate will be determined by the junta-appointed interim parliament, who will vote on whether to retroactively impeach the pair and thereby ban them from political office for five years.

In addition to Gen. Anupong, then-chairman of the National Security Council Thawil Pliensri will also be summoned to provide testimony, Panthep said.

"By 21 April, NACC officials will invite the two witnesses to give their testimonies to the NACC," Panthep told reporters at today's press conference. "They can come to explain themselves on their own, or they can send documented explanations to us."

The crackdown was launched in response to tens of thousands of Redshirt demonstrators who descended on Bangkok in March of that year to demand a new election from Abhisit.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1427978450&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-03

Beautiful people. -------------- just a refresher - this is what the country was faced with. (of course there were obviously bad actions on both sides)

Interesting read - Descent into Chaos - Human Rights Watch www.hrw.org/sites/.../thailand0511webwcover_0.p... Human Rights Watch

"... While the UDD leadership has sought to portray the arson attacks as the spontaneous reaction of protesters to the dispersal of the Red Shirt protests, many leading UDD leaders had publicly called for such attacks months earlier in the event of a government crackdown. For example, UDD leader Arisman Pongruengrong told supporters at a rally at Army Headquarters in Bangkok on January 29 they should carry out arson attacks if the government tried to disperse them, warning they would turn the city into a “sea of fire:” ..... Similarly, during a preparatory rally in Chantaburi province on January 27, UDD leader Nuttawut Saikua warned: “If [the government] takes control [of the Red Shirt camp], we will burn the whole country. Burn it all down, I will take the responsibility. If they want to arrest or whatever, they can come to me. If they seize control, burn!”. Red Shirt leaders regularly called on supporters to burn and steal from stores during the Rachaprason protests, indicating incitement or complicity in the arson and looting attacks. For example, on April 8, 2010, UDD leader Nuttawut Saikua told UDD protesters how he was easily frightened as a child and used to run for cover whenever he heard loud noises. He then suggested that the Red Shirts should run into shopping centers and loot and burn them if they were similarly “spooked” by the army attempting to disperse them...."

" Arsonists also set fire to (Big c) … dozens of other major buildings across Bangkok, including the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the Bangkok Metropolitan Electricity Authority district station, the Water Authority district station, the historic Siam and Scala cinemas in Siam Square, Center One store near the Victory Monument, and a significant number of branches of the Bangkok Bank,... as well as convenience stores and small privately owned shops in some areas...... '

That some of them behaved like brainless moronic idiots, does not justify the army's use of live ammunition against fellow Thais!!

Beautiful people. -------------- just a refresher - this is what the country was faced with. (of course there were obviously bad actions on both sides)

Interesting read - Descent into Chaos - Human Rights Watch www.hrw.org/sites/.../thailand0511webwcover_0.p... Human Rights Watch

"... While the UDD leadership has sought to portray the arson attacks as the spontaneous reaction of protesters to the dispersal of the Red Shirt protests, many leading UDD leaders had publicly called for such attacks months earlier in the event of a government crackdown. For example, UDD leader Arisman Pongruengrong told supporters at a rally at Army Headquarters in Bangkok on January 29 they should carry out arson attacks if the government tried to disperse them, warning they would turn the city into a “sea of fire:” ..... Similarly, during a preparatory rally in Chantaburi province on January 27, UDD leader Nuttawut Saikua warned: “If [the government] takes control [of the Red Shirt camp], we will burn the whole country. Burn it all down, I will take the responsibility. If they want to arrest or whatever, they can come to me. If they seize control, burn!”. Red Shirt leaders regularly called on supporters to burn and steal from stores during the Rachaprason protests, indicating incitement or complicity in the arson and looting attacks. For example, on April 8, 2010, UDD leader Nuttawut Saikua told UDD protesters how he was easily frightened as a child and used to run for cover whenever he heard loud noises. He then suggested that the Red Shirts should run into shopping centers and loot and burn them if they were similarly “spooked” by the army attempting to disperse them...."

" Arsonists also set fire to (Big c) … dozens of other major buildings across Bangkok, including the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the Bangkok Metropolitan Electricity Authority district station, the Water Authority district station, the historic Siam and Scala cinemas in Siam Square, Center One store near the Victory Monument, and a significant number of branches of the Bangkok Bank,... as well as convenience stores and small privately owned shops in some areas...... '

That some of them behaved like brainless moronic idiots, does not justify the army's use of live ammunition against fellow Thais!!

The incitement was from their 'leaders', who are maybe brainless moronic idiots. No excuses there, but after months of demonstrating and incitements, agreeing to stop the demonstrations and then back tracking, building up to a potential "mob rule" which is contagious and dangerous, I can't any reasonable government not taking firm action.

As per my first comment - this is what the country was faced with. (of course there were obviously bad actions on both sides)

• Like 1

yes, they should have just let them keep on shooting, blowing up and burning down anyone/thing they wanted too, after all why should thai citizens expect the reds working under thaksins orders to show respect for their fellow thais, especially when all they wanted was to get their leader back to Thailand and have all his illegally obtained money returned to him so they could get their share

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

I remember at the time how many forum members were frustrated with Abhisit for not doing anything to end what was at the time utter chaos in central bangkok. The general consensus back then was Abhisit was too patient with the red demonstrators, and that something had to done, and by done everyone understood that meant sending in the army.

What happened after that, what with black shirts and lots of guns with real ammo I'm not sure we will ever find out. What I do know though is saying it was wrong 5 years down the line is cowardly and sanctimonious, as at the time there was no other way out.

• Like 1

I remember at the time how many forum members were frustrated with Abhisit for not doing anything to end what was at the time utter chaos in central bangkok. The general consensus back then was Abhisit was too patient with the red demonstrators, and that something had to done, and by done everyone understood that meant sending in the army.

What happened after that, what with black shirts and lots of guns with real ammo I'm not sure we will ever find out. What I do know though is saying it was wrong 5 years down the line is cowardly and sanctimonious, as at the time there was no other way out.

So very true. I remember the peaceful red protesters firing grenades into BTS stations, trying to set fire to gasoline trucks, burning buses and driving them at troops. I remember the redshirts setting up road blocks and assaulting and robbing citizens, redshirts stopping a military truck with armed soldiers aboard pulling them out and assaulting them, the soldiers wouldn't raise their weapon in their own defence and had them confiscated by the mob. One soldier was even murdered with his own weapon! I remember the Abhist government refused to take action preferring to negotiate, then when a deal was arranged Thaksin vetoed it and the violence continued.

In which other countries does holding citizenship exempt you from being shot while committing serious crimes such as arson and murder?

I don't recall that any of those citizens were shot dead whilst in the act of committing arson or murder.

Well , there was another way out .

An immediate election by the people , for the people .

• Like 1

Well , there was another way out .

An immediate election by the people , for the people .

They were offered an election, and firstly accepted, but a day later, after orders from Dubai, turned down the offer!!

The only way people will believe whatever inquiry is when foreign neutral observers would be involved. But that's impossible in Thailand.

And happens all the time in other countries of course ................ rolleyes.gif

It does. Ever seen the idiots that migrate to G-20, G-8 meetings? I think the last meeting in Canada ran up a bill of C$858million on security, with several million C$ in vandalism including torched and destroyed police vehicles. Those protests alone had 900 people arrested. The US and German meetings were just as violent.

Ever seen a South Korean labour protest? The protestors attack the police with flame throwers. In India, mobs go on the rampage hacking people to death. Currently, in Canada, there are anti austerity protests in several provinces with Quebec seeing the worst of it. France has seen the protests, and I would expect the annual arson and police attacks to begin again in France once summer arrives. Remember the riots and mass anarchy in the UK that accompanied the student and labour protests not too long ago?

Want some more examples? Violence, mayhem and idiocy isn't restricted to Thailand. it is demonstrated regularly by so called advanced societies in Europe and elsewhere.

In which other countries does holding citizenship exempt you from being shot while committing serious crimes such as arson and murder?

I don't recall that any of those citizens were shot dead whilst in the act of committing arson or murder.

Can't argue with you on that. I seem to recall, they went after easy targets like shooting unarmed combatants seeking refuge in a wat. Some of my "favourite" incidents were the targeting of journalists and of course, who can forget that poor chap that was bound, beaten and tossed into a klong to drown?

Of course you don't. In fact, you have no idea what most of those shot dead were doing at the time of their death, but it is convenient for you to assume they were protesting peacefully while others in that group were engaged in illegal acts.

• Like 1

Can't argue with you on that. I seem to recall, they went after easy targets like shooting unarmed combatants seeking refuge in a wat. Some of my "favourite" incidents were the targeting of journalists and of course, who can forget that poor chap that was bound, beaten and tossed into a klong to drown?

Your 'seem to recall' seems to confuse the years the events occurred, and couldn't be expected to include that weapons were involved with those "unarmed combatants".

BTW could you explain that term?

• Like 1