Thai politics: Junta's actions making country far from democratic

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Junta's actions making country far from democratic

NITIPOL KIRAVANICH

BANGKOK: -- IT HAS been nearly 10 months since the junta seized power in a coup. At a time when many problems facing the country are surfacing rapidly, it believes the one way to contain these problems - instead of solving them - is to vest absolute power in its leader.

After taking power, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) declared martial law, as a supposed tool to control social disputes and put an end to conflicts caused by warring political groups that led to violence.

After martial law was declared, many political observers voiced opposition to it. Dissatisfaction with the law gained momentum when the junta-led government kept shutting down forums of the public and political observers. In addition, many others have claimed violations of their rights.

These problems affect the image of the country as many countries, besides the United Nations, have expressed concern that Thailand is undemocratic because of such actions.

By Wednesday, the government had lifted martial law and replaced it with Article 44 of the 2014 provisional constitution. Though the provisions of the article may be seen as reducing the power the military enjoyed under martial law, it ends up endowing NCPO leader Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha with absolute power.

Article 44 states: "In cases where the head of the National Council for Peace and Order is of the opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the monarchy, national economy or administration of state affairs, he shall have the power to issue any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order."

The public believes this is absolute power, as this law would give the PM authority over all three branches of the state - executive, legislative and judicial.

While it cannot be denied that some of the draconian laws and measures used by the government have helped maintain national security and social stability and to end violence caused by different political groups, there are other national issues that also need to be resolved.

Even though the junta has appointed many agencies such as the National Reform Council to reform 11 areas, the National Legislative Assembly to pass and scrutinise important laws, and the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) to write a new charter, the public still sees the members of these appointed agencies as lacking independence, which affects their legitimacy as well.

Many political observers have concluded after evaluating the work of the government and its appointed agencies that they are not as efficient as they promised to be. Nonetheless, giving absolute power to the PM will not necessarily improve efficiency in solving national problems.

The junta should bear in mind that those who judge Prime Minister Prayut are not just individuals but the nation's people as a whole. They will not favour one over another and that is why it is important to let contrasting ideas by the opposition to be placed on the table as well.

More importantly the issue raised towards the junta-government and their appointed agencies lie within abstaining the media and public to criticize governmment and the new Constitution.

If the citizens of the country cannot voice their opinions or criticise their own government, or have a say in the writing of the new constitution, by what yardstick can Thailand be called a democratic country?

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Juntas-actions-making-country-far-from-democratic-30257323.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-03

• Like 1

The only inroads gained in having the Junta running Thailand it is a nicer version of Myanmar , freedom of expression is the pinnacle of Democracy , welcome to General Prayut - O -Cha Version. ( addendum: I ref to Prayuth as General , a PM of the people wouldn't pull on 44) coffee1.gif

• Like 2

People should remember that Thailand was on the edge of civil war when the coup took place. Those people who ordered the terrorist attacks against civilians and the people ready to carry them out are all waiting until they think they can do it again without getting caught. Even worse, the state police had been filled with cronies answering to the one big boss and did nothing to stop it happening. In fact, they aided it in some cases. All of this is because one person knows his chance of amnesty is zero if he doesn't have his lackeys in power.

Maybe Prayuth should have waited until a few hundred more Thais had been murdered - maybe even waited for a massacre - and the country was facing economic ruin before launching the coup. Maybe then some of these armchair critics would appreciate the gravity of the situation which was facing the country and why Prayuth thinks these rules are needed.

Nonsense!!bah.gif

Spoken like an expert on the subject. Armchair expert in the middle of nowhere that is.

People should remember that Thailand was on the edge of civil war when the coup took place. Those people who ordered the terrorist attacks against civilians and the people ready to carry them out are all waiting until they think they can do it again without getting caught. Even worse, the state police had been filled with cronies answering to the one big boss and did nothing to stop it happening. In fact, they aided it in some cases. All of this is because one person knows his chance of amnesty is zero if he doesn't have his lackeys in power.

Maybe Prayuth should have waited until a few hundred more Thais had been murdered - maybe even waited for a massacre - and the country was facing economic ruin before launching the coup. Maybe then some of these armchair critics would appreciate the gravity of the situation which was facing the country and why Prayuth thinks these rules are needed.

Nonsense!!bah.gif

Spoken like an expert on the subject. Armchair expert in the middle of nowhere that is.

And you are the expert? Spoken like the exact example I gave in my last post.

The ills of the country are well known, and it is a power struggle for which the average Thai is going to suffer.

John, when will the need for constant justifications for the coup come to an end ? What is the justification for giving a man god like powers ? How is he going to stay impartial, not giving into Thai elitist institutions ?

As I see it, no Thais are suffering for it now. OK - some feel like their spoils of victory have been stolen but that's about it.

I have said many times the Junta is a bad choice from worse options. Prayuth will not be able to withstand the pressure to hold elections after the reforms are complete and I am quite sure he will not try to anyway.

My point is that picking faults now is far too late. It is easy to criticise from an armchair after the event but Pheu-Thai showed quite clearly they did not give a damn what anybody thought : they were going to follow through whatever Mr T said no matter what. 2010 was a lesson in how far he is prepared to go and Prayuth knows how far that is (what a shame the press did not make a big point of it - but they are subject to the same pressures as his cronies in Parliament). Thailand has to suffer this brief period where the 'elite' are back in partial control but it is quite certain they will get their election soon and all of this will be consigned to history.

John, when is the last time Thaksin stated he wanted to return to Thailand and have absolute power just like the current PM has just given himself?

Don't you think that the people wouldn't have a say in that ? Many PTP voters don't like Thaksin but dont care for the alternatives either.

The coup had to happen it was inevitable as it always happen when teddies get thrown out of prams by politicians. The biggest problem in Thailand isn't the politicians it's the army interfering in the political system say what you want but since the 1930's they have always been the behind the scenes string pullers and watching over everything 19 coups doesn't alarm you in the slightest?

Almost 12 months have passed and not a single reform has been implemented I said in another thread I will give 10,000 baht to any charity George names if there's elecgions before April 2016.

I'm that confident it's not going to happen? Are you confident enough to state it will because isn't that what prayuth stated right from the get go?

12-16 months no more and there will be elections he said, and within 6 months the excuses started to roll in.

Put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 2

I'm vacilating between.

Hobson's choice – Choice between taking what is offered and taking nothing; named after James Hobson, owner of a livery stable who required his customers to take the horse nearest the door or no horse at all.

And

Catch 22.

Maj. Major Major Major: Sergeant, from now on, I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm in my office. Is that clear?

First Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir. What do I say to people who want to come in and see you while you're in your office?

Maj. Major Major Major: Tell them I'm in and ask them to wait.

First Sgt. Towser: For how long?

Maj. Major Major Major: Until I've left.

The ills of the country are well known, and it is a power struggle for which the average Thai is going to suffer.

John, when will the need for constant justifications for the coup come to an end ? What is the justification for giving a man god like powers ? How is he going to stay impartial, not giving into Thai elitist institutions ?

As I see it, no Thais are suffering for it now. OK - some feel like their spoils of victory have been stolen but that's about it.

I have said many times the Junta is a bad choice from worse options. Prayuth will not be able to withstand the pressure to hold elections after the reforms are complete and I am quite sure he will not try to anyway.

My point is that picking faults now is far too late. It is easy to criticise from an armchair after the event but Pheu-Thai showed quite clearly they did not give a damn what anybody thought : they were going to follow through whatever Mr T said no matter what. 2010 was a lesson in how far he is prepared to go and Prayuth knows how far that is (what a shame the press did not make a big point of it - but they are subject to the same pressures as his cronies in Parliament). Thailand has to suffer this brief period where the 'elite' are back in partial control but it is quite certain they will get their election soon and all of this will be consigned to history.

"now" being the operative word, as you see it. Article 44 hasn't even been tried or tested yet, and its limitations have no bounds; but if you might recognise - it has only just been implemented so wait and see how it may be tried and tested..... sometimes I do actually wonder if you live here John or, if you do, where your golden castle is.

• Like 1

"now" being the operative word, as you see it. Article 44 hasn't even been tried or tested yet, and its limitations have no bounds; but if you might recognise - it has only just been implemented so wait and see how it may be tried and tested..... sometimes I do actually wonder if you live here John or, if you do, where your golden castle is.

Dr Visanu insisted that powers vested by Section 44 had been invoked before in the form of Section 17 during the regime of military strongman, Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/814366-dr-visanu-section-44-is-needed-to-deal-with-ill-intent-elements/

Can Thailand be called a democratic country before the coup? What value had that gave to the lives of Thais?

State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant?

State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant? What have all these got to do with democracy ???? By the way, you sure all that you described are not happening now? I also treasure the value of freedom of speech and expression before the coup. That's a hell of a lot of values that have been lost with the coup. You don't see?

Dr Visanu insisted that powers vested by Section 44 had been invoked before in the form of Section 17 during the regime of military strongman, Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/814366-dr-visanu-section-44-is-needed-to-deal-with-ill-intent-elements/

Nooo. Never! I didn't know that. giggle.gif

And my new wife comes in the form of my ex-wife, but she <deleted>?s a lot better and harder, and can play on the same dirty ground too! w00t.gif

We should all praise the calm and quietness of North Korea as an exemple of political stability....

Some of us complaining have been marginalized by the good general. Some of us work with fine people on both sides of the conflict and we wonder should we even bother Thailand , as China is cheaper and simpler to deal with. The power we see in Thailand is the patience which is reflected in the workmanship. We are trying to bring modern technology to the country and feel our efforts are unappreciated and curtailed.

"after the reforms are complete". We can only hope that your optimism comes true, but the reform process is being carried by a man with elitist leanings, questionable impartiality and god like powers. He is not including the breadth of the nation in this process/discussion and has outlawed critical polls of his performance. He has solely taken on this responsibility. That is alarming.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can Thailand be called a democratic country before the coup? What value had that gave to the lives of Thais?

State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant?

"State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant?"

But what was it like before the coup?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant?"

But what was it like before the coup?

Refresh your memory - Google is your friend.

State coffer being robbed, lives under armed threat, police inactions or used politically against oppositions, corruption rampant? What have all these got to do with democracy ???? By the way, you sure all that you described are not happening now? I also treasure the value of freedom of speech and expression before the coup. That's a hell of a lot of values that have been lost with the coup. You don't see?

I see and value the realities on the ground. Not all the hot air coming out of mouths.

This article succinctly but unconsciously provides the solution to its own question. ".......when many problems facing the country are surfacing rapidly........" smile.png

Edited by NeilSA1

I see and value the realities on the ground. Not all the hot air coming out of mouths.

As do I and I never seen half the things you seen, lives under armed threat? ... So the people in the South who have been under armed threat for the past decade are not important to you because you want to make a POLITICAL statement out of it?

You seen open corruption before? so what did you do about it? Most corruption is invisible, but you must have some sort of superpowers to be able to have seen it openly before, and not see it anymore, does that come with a particular flavour of kool aid you drink, or is it a genetic sort of thing? ;)

How many Armed attacks happened in Pattaya, Korat, Chiang Mai, any of the Andaman Islands, Phuket, Hua Hin that peoples lives were under threat.. Hyperbole much?

Sure in small areas in Bangkok there was an increased risk of being harmed, but there was enough warnings issued to keep away from those areas both for Thais and Farangs, those that went there did so on their own free will, and took their own lives in their hands, they had the right to protest but at the same time knew the risks.

If you were told that the car you wanted to by so badly didn't have any brakes would you still buy it, or would common sense kick in and realise the risk was greater than the need?

See that hot air coming out of mouths ? go and have a look in the mirror.

• Like 2