Told of changes to visa law from 60 days to 6 trips a year?

I am an Australian citizen that lives in Thailand for 4 - 5 days out of every 3 weeks. Just hours ago I got taken aside at the International airport immigration and was told that I am not allowed to visit Thailand more than 6 times a year without a visa lodged in Australia as the laws have changed? They also asked for photos of my Thai partner and photos of my work. I work in mining in Australia but they suspect I work in Thailand? I was told if i don't have a visa next time i arrive then i am banned from entering Thailand forever? (I assume the forever part is just a scare tactic). I have asked around and no one has heard of this new law? How recent is it? Is it actually a new rule or have a been shafted somehow?

I don't have a problem with getting a visa for a few months but I do have a problem being told at short notice that if I don't get a visa in Australia before I come back I will be banned from entering the country.

Thanks

There is no rule. law or regulation that limits the number of entries any amount over any amount of time. The 6 entry thing is only meant to be an alert for the immigration officer to check your previous entries to see if they are in/out visa runs.

You can only be denied entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denials are for not having financial proof or suspicion of working here.

Having at least the equivalent of 10k bajt (20k baht is best) cash to show will eliminate the financial side of it. And some proof of an income from outside Thailand for the other.

• Like 1

Wow.. I am so grateful for your fast replies.

Do you you think I should get a copy of my employment in Australia and put it in my lodged visa application or should I lodge a visa and take the proof of work in Australia for when I next come through Immigration...or both?

next break I am planning on flying my gf from Thailand to Malaysia for my week off... but I'd honestly just refer to go home..not going to risk any entry problems in the future until I get it right.

I am actually in need of a new passport anyway, but I have been told the system resets if i have a new passport.. is this true?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow.. I am so grateful for your fast replies.

Do you you think I should get a copy of my employment in Australia and put it in my lodged visa application or should I lodge a visa and take the proof of work in Australia for when I next come through Immigration...or both?

next break I am planning on flying my gf from Thailand to Malaysia for my week off... but I'd honestly just refer to go home..not going to risk any entry problems in the future until I get it right.

I am actually in need of a new passport anyway, but I have been told the system resets if i have a new passport.. is this true?

IF you are in possession of a VISA obtained from a Thai Embassy or Consulate there is no need for concern .

Continual and frequent applications for "visa exempt " 30 day entries will attract attention !

Edited by nzexpat

you would be best using tourist visa for a bit along with re-entry permit, cost you more than the exempt entries though.

Makes no difference what exact written law is as this is thailand so you best working with them rather than pushing your luck.

Make effort to have some photo evidence, bank books or account login to show funds/income out of thailand and be calm & polite.

I was pulled up at swampy on second entry second tourist & I not had any exempt entry in over 8yrs but questioning was friendly, friend working in Taiwan had same issue, swampy paying attention to frequent visitor beyond the 6 entry exempt flagging, go prepared, be calm & polite & use visa if you can & all will be ok for most ...

The main thing they looking for is people working without work permits, as soon as see you got good funds & likely employment out of thailand they more than happy normally, like everything here it about the money ;-) If you can show plenty then you quality tourist mister ...

Edited by BuckBee

Bit anxious about this myself, as ive been in thailand 6 times since april 30 last year, and due to arrive on thursday next week...9th april...my 7th time... I usually go to Phuket, but change of flight plan this time and going to Suvarnabhumi... I asked for information on how many times i was allowed to come into Thailand on a visa exempt , and got this reply "There is no written rule how many times it should be but most officers will allow you to enter with no problem up to 6 times in a year. More than that, they may ask you to get a proper tourist visa next time you enter Thailand/ "

Bit anxious about this myself, as ive been in thailand 6 times since april 30 last year, and due to arrive on thursday next week...9th april...my 7th time... I usually go to Phuket, but change of flight plan this time and going to Suvarnabhumi... I asked for information on how many times i was allowed to come into Thailand on a visa exempt , and got this reply "There is no written rule how many times it should be but most officers will allow you to enter with no problem up to 6 times in a year. More than that, they may ask you to get a proper tourist visa next time you enter Thailand/ "

As said there is no rule, regulation or law that limits the number of visa exempt entries you can do.

You also need to be aware the officer at the desk does not have the authority to deny you entry. It has to be a higher ranking officer and then only after certain procedures are done.

Here are the guidelines that immigration has issued. ImmigratioNotice4-English_PDF.pdf

• Like 1

Hi guys I have a few more questions, as I would prefer to get it right the first time.

I was planning on going back to Thailand in 2 weeks (but I will push that forward to 5 and weeks to get visa, as I wont be able to post the application for at least another week from now).

- So to apply for the visa I must send both a copy of my passport ID page and the entire passport?

- Send a money order for actual visa bought at Australia post and send in an Express Post Platinum sachel?

- A copy of my employment details and salary? (as a back up)

- And a a copy of my flights itineraries... There is only one problem with all of this.

Due to a stupid policy by the company I work for with Salary sacrifice, my flights are not booked as a return flight from Australia but a return flight from Chiang Mai.

Do you think I should call the airline to split up the flights (if even possible) or just send off the itineraries with the visa?

i.e. my next flights are CM-KL return and KL-Perth return x 2 trips. - Because they may look at this as ask why I do not have a return flight to Perth at the end of the visas.

sorry for so many questions I am just concerned about it all now.

thank you :)

• Like 1

Hi guys I have a few more questions, as I would prefer to get it right the first time.

I was planning on going back to Thailand in 2 weeks (but I will push that forward to 5 and weeks to get visa, as I wont be able to post the application for at least another week from now).

- So to apply for the visa I must send both a copy of my passport ID page and the entire passport?

- Send a money order for actual visa bought at Australia post and send in an Express Post Platinum sachel?

- A copy of my employment details and salary? (as a back up)

- And a a copy of my flights itineraries... There is only one problem with all of this.

Due to a stupid policy by the company I work for with Salary sacrifice, my flights are not booked as a return flight from Australia but a return flight from Chiang Mai.

Do you think I should call the airline to split up the flights (if even possible) or just send off the itineraries with the visa?

i.e. my next flights are CM-KL return and KL-Perth return x 2 trips. - Because they may look at this as ask why I do not have a return flight to Perth at the end of the visas.

sorry for so many questions I am just concerned about it all now.

thank you smile.png

I have never heard of your salary or employment details needing to be included in a visa application in Australia. Maybe the flight tickets but not employment detail details for sure. Yes, any ticket out of Thailand is fine.