Storm beaches yacht on Phuket's Kata Beach

webfact

I understand the tug advantage but wouldn't a couple winches be preferable over fishing boats?

They could not even get suitable ropes sorted out, I witnessed one of the tow ropes snap twice. As I previously stated - salvage crew had/have no idea. As for your anchoring up boats and winching out - it's a soft sandy bottom with very poor anchoring traction. That's why this boat ran aground and about 8 others a couple of years ago during the King's Cup race when anchored up for the night and a squall blew up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

The excavator and mobile crane were at work this evening. A hole was dug alongside the boat. A sling was placed under the aft end. Boat was lifted up a foot or less. Boat settled back on the beach. At that point a decision was made to go home for the evening. Took about an hour to move the mobile crane above the high tide line as it was struggling in the sand. The excavator towed the mobile crane, sometimes using the shovel to help claw its way up the beach. At the end of the evening, they're both on the beach ready to have another go tomorrow. The boat remains bow into the waves, canted onto its port side.

Also on the beach are two portable docks each consisting of two rows of six 55 gallon drums in a metal framework.

Presumably they will resume work tomorrow morning and hope to refloat the boat at the 1 pm high tide.

I did notice this evening that the main and mizzen masts are no longer in alignment. The mizzen mast appears to have shifted and now leans to port, perhaps as a result of the lift attempted this evening.

It doesnt matter what we say about the poor anchoring in waters they may be dont know BUT what to be honest. There is NOT EVERY F....K day a Boat running on shore in Phuket and I REALLY do not understand our government here... IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO HELP ? I guess this guys just dont have enough money for the machines etc. Yesterday there was an autocrane and a bagger, they did not worked much, more relaxed in the shade of their cars like they waited for someone coming and tell them what to do or bring some money...

TODAY totally different situation. the vessel is now so deep in the sand (and will go deeper every day) that it seems to be impossible to make her swim ever again :(

When Living inKata posted his pics it really looked much better and with some pontons and some time she would be afloat already...

sorry to say but I think she is dying... makes me really sad

AMAZING THAILAND 2zfq494.jpg

and btw, its totally stupid to work on it in HIGH tide... you fix things when its low tide and wait for the tide to rise...sounds logic? it is!!!

in Italy they made the COSTA CONCORDIA swim again...and here in an area where they live from watersports on the beach wich hosts the Kings Cup since many years

they are unable to help some sailors...

any news? cant make it to kata atm, is there anything going on or they just giving it up`? sad.png

There was nothing going on up til 11 am this morning. Actually, it seems unlikely anything will be done this close to Songkran. I had a chance to look at it up close yesterday and there's a fair bit of damage from the surf at this point after about 10 days run aground. I think the mizzen mast was damaged (bent) during an aborted lift attempt by the mobile crane. The interior is in a sorry state as you would imagine being submerged off and on at the mercy of the tides. There's been damage to the gunwale at places. The pulpit has pulled loose in places. The rudder lies up on the beach. Maybe something will be done after Songkran but the damage continues to accumulate as the days go by.

that sounds sad, specially when every day is counting and will make her sucked into the sand deeper and deeper ... poor work by Phukets Authorities...... where obviously nobody gives a rats... so close to the Orbortor in visible range from their palace they build directly on the beach :/

and btw, its totally stupid to work on it in HIGH tide... you fix things when its low tide and wait for the tide to rise...sounds logic? it is!!!

in Italy they made the COSTA CONCORDIA swim again...and here in an area where they live from watersports on the beach wich hosts the Kings Cup since many years

Boats doesn`t swim................they float thumbsup.gif .

right mr. wisenheimer, thx for the lesson....

...do smart a55es swim or float?

no info about topic but too much time wink.png ....

Edited by moskito

right mr. wisenheimer, thx for the lesson....

...do smart a55es swim or float?

no info about topic but too much time wink.png ....

Only glad to help thumbsup.gif .

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe it's still beached. I was only joking when I said it would become a tourist attraction. They better hurry before the wind changes and smashes the boat to drift wood.

Wind changed today.