Koh Samui vendors protest police 'extortion'

webfact

I personally see nothing wrong with selling copies, as long as they are sold as copies. People who buy them aren´t going to spend $800 on a hand bag anyway! It´s not hurting ¨Louis¨ or ¨Rolex¨ and imitation is the best form of flattery, they are only advertising the real thing....

If they put the word copy or ¨this is not a ...¨ on it no problem

Just legalize it and there goes that little earner for the BIB and the price of the goods could come down as that is a major overhead eliminated !!

there are designers who are struggling to make a living, big company steals the design, sells millions and original artist is left with bugger all.

Try running your argument past an artist, photographer, or designer, everyone of them will tell you how hurtful it is.

Maybe the large corporations don't feel the pain but many individual artists do.

most copies are of famous brands,not small artists/ or clothing ,bag and shoe makers.think nikey,adidas,rolex,bulgari ingersoll

Not entirely true. Google Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters to see examples of corporations stealing small, independent designers' works.

Many, many examples.

SORRY

I don´t understand your argument there. You are saying the big corporations are stealing from the small guys, what has that to do with small guys stealing from the big corporations? So called pirated goods will very rarely if ever include small independent people unless the big corporations have made the item they stole famous. Getting some of their own back sounds good to me !!!

When is this situation going to be sorted out by the Army. The situation with the police in Samui is an open secret, if you want to open a business in Samui, you have to pay the police! They demand money from every shopkeeper on this island, selling legitimate or illegitimate merchandise. If they can't get the store for 'copyright' infringements they go for the work permits of the employees. Either way it is impossible to operate a business in Samui without paying the police. This is not a secret, it is common knowledge. So get it sorted!!

WOW 50,000 baht to overlook the store’s violation of copyright laws,
later raised the price to 190,000 baht.

How much must pay then the thousands of stalls which selling counterfeit goods in Patpong or Sukumvit Road?
No wonder why so many police officers and administrative staff have gigantic unexplained wealth.
An asset verification check, from top to bottom is an urgent need for all officers and public state employees.

Many have accumulated assets, worth 10,100,1000 or more millions of baht.
It is obvious that these assets were never earned with official salaries.

Corruption, extortion, robbery, embezzlement, drug trafficking and fraud are the main sources.
Edited by tomacht8

Rig Pig

somehow the quote function isn't letting me quote you.

SORRY

I don´t understand your argument there. You are saying the big corporations are stealing from the small guys, what has that to do with small guys stealing from the big corporations? So called pirated goods will very rarely if ever include small independent people unless the big corporations have made the item they stole famous. Getting some of their own back sounds good to me !!!

I'm suggesting that intellectual theft isn't any different if it's a small guy ripping off a corporation or a corporation is ripping off a little guy. It's theft.

I don't think that because the big corporation can "take it" should be an argument for them not to protect their copyrights.

Lego corp loses tons of money to counterfeiters.

Your argument is similar to saying a junkie should be able to pickpocket a banker, but the banker pickpocketing the junkie would be wrong.

I am in Northern Chiang Mai on vacation, got my first no helmet ticket ever.

Had to go to the police station and pay 100 baht. cool.png

Very cheap , in fact far to cheap......In your country you would not drive without a helmet....the fines are more heavy.....!!! and still you would not think about your safety....!!!

I used to tell a couple of my friends to put on there helmets every time and they just laughed every time ...... just until the day one had a accident , not his fault, but who cares ??? he had extensive surgery to he's jaw and lost a few teeth......just what a helmet would have avoided.....!!!

On the other hand I am a strong supporter of the evolution Theory of Darwin...if some species can not adapt,....they disappear.....!

What i like most of this statement and about Thailand:

1: The darwin part

2: The adaption of Thai Law in Thai society, from my perspective, once you made an accident, its them who failed to obey the law thats paying...

In our society the rules are to milk the cashcow at any opportunity

No, no no....you are wrong there .....we all live in that beautiful country that's called Thailand ! we all know that they are driving crazy ! so ???? we have to adapt !!! ware protection !! DOUBLE PROTECTION !!!..... some of my German and British motorcycle loving friends bring all there safety equipment from there country, helmets , gloves , boots strong vests and spinal injury protective gear.......they would never ware a plastic helmet like thousands do here !!! ...one of my friends said ! " a 300 Bht helmet just protects a 300 Bht brain...!!!!

It's up to everybody to take responsibility for themselves....it's never a guarantee !! ...but it gives you just that more chance to survive...!!!

If my friend had put on he's helmet he would not had lost those teeth and had the very expensive jaw bone surgery !!! and he just like me, lives here for over 20 years and knows what's it's like on the roads...

Personalty, I drive a very strong 4X4 with strong massive steel bumpers....again, it's no guarantee ! but I take my chances with a lot of those morons on the road...!

And I almost forgot,....milking the cow ????..yes .!! well some people put themselves in the position to get milked...!!

I knew people that got milked for smoking a joint,.....they had to go to the bank with the cops, and draw money with there credit cards.....to pay the cops.....!

I knew somebody ells that payed 500 bht for the same reason.....he had only shorts on and the police asked him to turn out he's pockets and he had only 500 Bht....the lucky guy....!!! again, ! be safe !!!....if you don't want to be milked don't do anything illegal, or dodgy.. !!!

want smoke grass do it away far away from other people.....!!

wanna drive without a helmet ? just suffer the consequences !

Best regards...

Edited by off road pat

Rig Pig

SORRY

I'm suggesting that intellectual theft isn't any different if it's a small guy ripping off a corporation or a corporation is ripping off a little guy. It's theft.

I don't think that because the big corporation can "take it" should be an argument for them not to protect their copyrights.

Your argument is similar to saying a junkie should be able to pickpocket a banker, but the banker pickpocketing the junkie would be wrong.

I think mostly - 99% it is theft from the Big companies to ripp of the small buyers with horrible prices,

because they spend the money after just for protect them for ripping off you with their next product;

TV and other media just helping them;

Why you should pay for a windows sw 100, if total costs is mybee 10,

and 90 is going only in the pocket of Bill;;

I remember old good times in Europe where law said if you charge more than dubble, it is criminal !!

so if Microsoft product cost of Win is 10, it should be sold for not more than 20;

That would be fair and every one would pay !!

This is just an example with relative, but not to be understand as absolute figures !!

Rig Pig

SORRY

I can´t disagree with you, right is right and wrong is wrong, but black and white become grey in the real world. I don´t think (like prostitution) you are going to stop it (copying). Like prostitution find a way to legalize it and have it benefit the poor and the State (which in turn will benefit the people ...normally).

As I stated before :

¨I personally see nothing wrong with selling copies, as long as they are sold as copies. People who buy them aren´t going to spend $800 on a hand bag anyway! It´s not hurting ¨Louis¨ or ¨Rolex¨ and imitation is the best form of flattery, they are only advertising the real thing....

If they put the word copy or ¨this is not a ...¨ on it no problem¨

Forgeries yes I have a problem with, trying to pass something off as the genuine article is wrong and should be punished accordingly.

¨

¨

No I think my argument is legalize drugs (maybe not literally) and you will stop the pickpocketing from either side, at least that´s what I intended.

• Like 1

Rig Pig

SORRY

I think mostly - 99% it is theft from the Big companies to ripp of the small buyers with horrible prices,

because they spend the money after just for protect them for ripping off you with their next product;

TV and other media just helping them;

Why you should pay for a windows sw 100, if total costs is mybee 10,

and 90 is going only in the pocket of Bill;;

I remember old good times in Europe where law said if you charge more than dubble, it is criminal !!

so if Microsoft product cost of Win is 10, it should be sold for not more than 20;

That would be fair and every one would pay !!

This is just an example with relative, but not to be understand as absolute figures !!

Hahaha, I guess English is not your first language huh? It took a while but I got your meaning, and yes although I agree with free enterprise I do not agree with monopolize. I do not agree with price fixing as such but believe that with enough competition and demand the market will find it´s own balance.

I do not see what harm a bag which is obviously not a Vouton will cause because it looks similar. People with the money will still pay to own the genuine article, all the look alike´s are doing is proving how good the real thing is (if it is that good) and acting as free advertising!!

It just means the ¨common¨ man can own something fashionable, which will be out of vogue next year anyway, for a reasonable cost.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've seen many members on here who think it's a benefit to bribe the police. Get stopped while driving, pay a couple of hundred baht, and continue on. Seriously. It might partially explain why so few obey traffic laws.

A problem is that the corruption runs much deeper and is more ominous. A crook is a crook and should go to jail which includes most of the BiB.

People are going to speed no matter what and as long as it just remains a Fine. There is no Point System here, so you could get caught for speeding 20 times in a year, but yet not lose your license. But regardless, nobody likes to pay this Fine no matter if it is on the spot or in the Police Station later. I am also sure nobody likes the idea of paying off some Police Man knowing this Fine is going to end up in his pocket.

But the fact remains that your refusal to pay the Fine on the spot is not going to change a damned thing as far as keeping corruption at bay. But it will change a lot of things for you, like taken the time and trouble of going down to the Police Station and paying the Fine their. Which may even be more. So we do it as it is Human Nature to want to avoid trouble and hassle. Personally, I don't have to look for trouble as it always finds me.

I just don't see how paying on the spot or going down to the Police Station has anything to do with People Obeying Traffic Laws. Personally, if people were to follow your guidance I would see more speeders on the highway and less people obeying the Traffic Laws, as they are not getting caught. This is because the Cop giving out the Speeding Tickets is no longer their, as he is with you down at the Police Station getting you to pay the Fine, you could have paid on the highway.

Rig Pig

SORRY

I can´t disagree with you, right is right and wrong is wrong, but black and white become grey in the real world. I don´t think (like prostitution) you are going to stop it (copying). Like prostitution find a way to legalize it and have it benefit the poor and the State (which in turn will benefit the people ...normally).

As I stated before :

¨I personally see nothing wrong with selling copies, as long as they are sold as copies. People who buy them aren´t going to spend $800 on a hand bag anyway! It´s not hurting ¨Louis¨ or ¨Rolex¨ and imitation is the best form of flattery, they are only advertising the real thing....

Forgeries yes I have a problem with, trying to pass something off as the genuine article is wrong and should be punished accordingly.

¨

¨

No I think my argument is legalize drugs (maybe not literally) and you will stop the pickpocketing from either side, at least that´s what I intended.

Yeah I agree, the gray area is hard to talk about.

Rolex and Louis Vitton aren't hurting from knock-offs; we all know about it. But Lego and others are loosing money because of knock-offs.

I am mostly concerned with someone who designs a poster or t-shirt and then some big clothing retailer steals the design and pays no royalties. It happens more often than you think.

I also agree that to address prostitution and drugs is to fully legalize them. Smoking has decreased by 75% in the last 50 years and all done while it was legal.

I think the war on drugs should be conducted the same way as the war on smoking. Take the gangs and criminals out of the equation, let the price drop out of it and then education.

Rig Pig

SORRY

As I stated before :

¨

¨

Yeah I agree, the gray area is hard to talk about.

Rolex and Louis Vitton aren't hurting from knock-offs; we all know about it. But Lego and others are loosing money because of knock-offs.

I am mostly concerned with someone who designs a poster or t-shirt and then some big clothing retailer steals the design and pays no royalties. It happens more often than you think.

I also agree that to address prostitution and drugs is to fully legalize them. Smoking has decreased by 75% in the last 50 years and all done while it was legal.

I think the war on drugs should be conducted the same way as the war on smoking. Take the gangs and criminals out of the equation, let the price drop out of it and then education.

But this is the rich stealing from the poor (once again), not some poor farmers wife selling a few T shirts or hand bags.

As for Lego I would think that is blatant forgery which I totally disagree with. If it is a copy, well how do you protect something like that? But many others have tried to jump on the band waggon and failed so they must be doing something right.

Everything else I agree with, take away the crime, control it and educate....

• Like 1

Basically: 1 criminal is complaining about the other one. To bribe the police is ok as long as its not too much. The irony.

Keep in mind that this unwritten rule about not too much goes all the way up to the top. Based on the reporting I have seen, Thaksin's sin was not being corrupt, but staying at the trough too long.

I am in Northern Chiang Mai on vacation, got my first no helmet ticket ever.

Had to go to the police station and pay 100 baht. cool.png

100baht. !!!

You know the law. You should have been wearing a helmet, and the law needs to be changed providing a minimum fine of 5,000baht for every motoring offence.Then and only then can we expect the roads to be less dangerous.

OBEY OR PAY!

Thats easy to say when you cant even afford a helmet

Cant afford a helmet but you're driving a 30000 baht mosai? BS!

Basically: 1 criminal is complaining about the other one. To bribe the police is ok as long as its not too much. The irony.

I suggest you walk a mile in the shoes of the vendors, then see if you will come back with such a judgmental, pompous attitude. It's all very well to philosophise from the comfort of your financial status, hiding behind a computer screen. However, to be vulnerable to such corruption is another platform altogether.

I applaud the store owners courage to speak up, and the courage of all the others to make a stand.

The real economy is stalling - receipts are significantly down at virtually every level.

Adjustment is difficult, consequently parasites will kill hosts from time to time and further the downward spiral.

The country needs to urgently unify and adapt to the macro geo political and economic realities.

A bit off topic. Many countries you are not allowed to bring in counterfeit goods & can face criminal charges. Australia is one.

A bit off topic too..................there's not a lot you can do in australia these daysfacepalm.gif

I had a friend who went to Australia and he did something...but for the life of me I can't remember what is was.