Yellow house book. Whats that for

You are referring to what was known as the 'Health Scheme for Foreigners'.

That scheme was misinterpreted by the hospitals and was stopped in June 2014. Some hospitals will still honour their responsibility until your current card expires, but they won't renew it again. Other hospitals refunded the payments to the foreigners.

The scheme is still operational but now only for those it was originally intended for, that is Lao, Cambodian and Myanmar workers.

Some expats can get free Health Care by virtue of being married to a Government Official or Officer, because their private scheme can cover family members.

The other option is to register at your local Government Hospital and get a registration card.

You will then be charged exactly the same as a Thai.

30 baht for visits and appropriately for surgery.

Much cheaper than private hospitals.

Please read the link I posted in #55 for further clarification.

The other option is to register at your local Government Hospital and get a registration card.

What are the requirement for registration? Why one would be charged as a Thai if as you explained before, the program is not available anymore ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The hospital know the rules.....you need your yellow book, one photo, a blood test, urine test, x ray and a yearly fee of 1900 bht....this gives you access to the 30 baht scheme........many of my friends are on the scheme....a german friend smashed his ankle in 4 places....3 operation, two rods in his foot....had a bill for 65000 bht...he showed his thai medical card.....bill reduced to 30 bht...............so its not free health care as you said....its a yearly scheme....for 1900 baht and 30 baht a visit which covers everything apart from any dental work....

I think your friend has just been lucky, there is no access to the health care system for western foreigners, including ones working and paying taxes.

Yes there is.

There is a very small amount of truth in what you claim!

It is true that some expats were successful in being included in a health insurance scheme intended for Migrant Workers (Burmese etc) The Government has since clarified the "rules" of this scheme which now specifically excludes ex-pats.

This link will explain !

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714022-refunding-money-paid-for-expatgovernment-health-insurance/

Many other threads can be found using the "search" function most of which will confirm that you are mistaken in insisting this scheme remains available !

I can only tell you my own story.....been on the scheme two years and only paid 30 bht for all my treatments and medication....my next renewal date is 19 th of may...I went last week for my yearly check up...blood test, urine test and chest x-ray and my monthly tablets....cost 30 baht.....I have made my appointment for my renewal of my health card....so I will see if I am accepted again for my 3rd year.....roll on 19 th of may......

paz, on 05 Apr 2015 - 17:11, said:
Faz, on 05 Apr 2015 - 08:58, said:

What are the requirement for registration? Why one would be charged as a Thai if as you explained before, the program is not available anymore ?

Hi Paz, there is a Universal healthcare system that is available to all Thai's. It's commonly referred to as the 30 baht scheme.

All you need is your ID to register and be issued with a hospital ID card.

There was a separate scheme introduced specifically for Lao, Cambodian and Myanmar workers, which the authorities called the 'Health Scheme for Foreigners' which the hospitals originally took to mean all foreigners. For a small annual fee you received a full annual medical check and discounted medical treatment.

Last year when the Junta took control the error was discovered and the hospitals were accordingly informed and ceased the scheme, excepting the workers it was supposed to cover.

Any foreigner can register at a Government hospital, just the same as a Thai. Although there is no Government health scheme available to foreigners in Thailand, it seems that due to a lack of instruction and administration from the top, the government hospitals only charge a foreigner the same fees as a Thai.

In most cases that will be 30 baht for minor treatment and medication.

It's a loophole that might get plugged one day, but it currently works in our favour.

Read the links provided above. Interesting reading.

Any foreigner can register at a Government hospital, just the same as a Thai. Although there is no Government health scheme available to foreigners in Thailand, it seems that due to a lack of instruction and administration from the top, the government hospitals only charge a foreigner the same fees as a Thai.

In most cases that will be 30 baht for minor treatment and medication.

Do you have a registration card yourself? How does it looks like?

It seems strange to think that even a tourist can get virtually free healthcare in Thailand by doing a simple "registration".

You are referring to what was known as the 'Health Scheme for Foreigners'.

Wrong, no I am not.

OK !

Then tell us exactly what you are referring to and how it can be accessed by all .

Precise detail please .

TOP IMAGE: Normal Government Hospital Registration card.

Advantages.

No medical required and no fee to pay.

Consultations, minor treatments and medication for 30 baht in most cases.

Disadvantages.

Possible long waiting times.

Shared general wards (private wards are available at extra cost)

No food or drink facilities available if admitted

BOTTOM IMAGE: Health Scheme for Foreigners card.

Now ceased (July 2014) other than for Cambodian, Lao and Myanmar workers.

Wrongly offered to all foreigners for an annual fee.

post-209671-0-33860900-1428281408_thumb.

I've used the local Government hospital once.

After registration (passport only required)

Consultation, diagnosis and medication for 30 baht.

Another friend has used their services for the last twelve months.

Two visits a week, consultation, 90 minutes of physiotherapy and medication.

30 baht each visit.

Health care is a bit of a sham at the moment. Some years ago there was talk of the introduction of a health scheme to cover expats for an annual fee, but it fell by the wayside under the political turmoil of the previous government.

Meanwhile, without any clear guidance from above, the government hospitals are treating foreigners for exactly the same cost as citizens providing you are registered with them. Thai taxes pay for the subsidised health care scheme.

If your going to stay in Thailand it's worth considering the effort to get your own proof of address as it can save so much time, effort and cost in the long run

Hi. In my case it costed me a lot of time and 3 visits to try and don't manage to get it at Pattaya. The employee 3rd time admited I would not get one because not married to a Thai... It was in 2008, and I since heard of single guys who managed to get one though... Maybe I could try again?

But after 8 year living here, I would have need it only once: to buy my bike. A letter from immigration was OK. So I can't say the Yellow Book would be useful for me.

I have had a similar experience to Pattaya46.

I have made 4 trips to our Kweng in Nong Hoi, Chiang Mai.

First time...They said we needed 2 witnesses

Second time... we had 2 witnesses but they said we needed to be married.

Third time...We were married and had 2 witnesses but they said we needed an extra witness who was a government employee

Fourth time...We had a government employee witness lined up but they said we needed to have children.......

Talk about "moving goal posts"

rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 08:39, said:
Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:
Faz" data-cid="9267832" data-date="Today, 09:26, on 04 Apr 2015 - 09:26, said:

If your going to stay in Thailand it's worth considering the effort to get your own proof of address as it can save so much time, effort and cost in the long run

Hi. In my case it costed me a lot of time and 3 visits to try and don't manage to get it at Pattaya. The employee 3rd time admited I would not get one because not married to a Thai... It was in 2008, and I since heard of single guys who managed to get one though... Maybe I could try again?

But after 8 year living here, I would have need it only once: to buy my bike. A letter from immigration was OK. So I can't say the Yellow Book would be useful for me.

Third time...We were married and had 2 witnesses but they said we needed an extra witness who was a government employee

Fourth time...We had a government employee witness lined up but they said we needed to have children.......

Sounds like you have an Amphur that doesn't know the rules or procedures.

It's much easier to make excuses rather than lose 'face' by not admitting they don't know what there doing.

Of course they could always pick up a phone to check with a higher authority, but again they lose face by appearing stupid.

Unfortunately that happens a lot in Thailand.

rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 08:39, said:
Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:
Faz" data-cid="9267832" data-date="Today, 09:26, on 04 Apr 2015 - 09:26, said:

It's much easier to make excuses rather than lose 'face' by not admitting they don't know what there doing.

Of course they could always pick up a phone to check with a higher authority, but again they lose face by appearing stupid.

The boss man there certainly knows what to do...

The last time we were there to get a blue Tabian Baan for our new house there was an agent getting Yellow Books for two Condo owners, so my wife asked him to help. That was when the boss said that if we had children, as they had, I could get a Yellow Book.

He has previously expressed opinions that some people get a Yellow Book and then return to their home country without cancelling it. Having Thai children means that you are committed to staying in Thailand.

In other words, his personal opinion over-rules the regulations...

rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 15:39, said:rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 15:39, said:
Faz, on 06 Apr 2015 - 09:18, said:Faz, on 06 Apr 2015 - 09:18, said:
rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 08:39, said:rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 08:39, said:rawhod, on 06 Apr 2015 - 08:39, said:
Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:Pattaya46, on 04 Apr 2015 - 13:47, said:

The boss man there certainly knows what to do...

The last time we were there to get a blue Tabian Baan for our new house there was an agent getting Yellow Books for two Condo owners, so my wife asked him to help. That was when the boss said that if we had children, as they had, I could get a Yellow Book.

He has previously expressed opinions that some people get a Yellow Book and then return to their home country without cancelling it. Having Thai children means that you are committed to staying in Thailand.

In other words, his personal opinion over-rules the regulations...

Condo's are the only property a foreigner can own 100% outright and they should be issued with a Blue Tabian Ban, so your boss obviously doesn't know his stuff.

Ask him where in the 'Act' it states, must own a property, must have a wife, must have children.

Threaten to take it to a higher level. In my experience when challenged they often back down.

He can't argue with what's in writing, regardless of his opinion.

It is not wanted at Immigration or at 90 day reporting. They just pass it back to you.

Banks don't like it. They only want to photocopy passports.

Sometimes Banks or others like it because it shows local address written in Thai. Big Freakin Deal. If you have an electric bill you could use that instead.

I seem to recall one situation over the years where it was actually useful. What was it.... ? To sit on the board of my condo? No. They wanted my wife's book and marriage details, etc. No need for mine, even though I am co-owner on Chanote.

It was a bit of a pain to acquire - required 3 or 4 visits and the last one we needed a witness. The brother in law sat and said he knew me and I was me and a good guy.

Oh. it can be used to renew drivers license. But so can passport and other documents that prove residency such as electric bill or work permit, even. I got a drivers license by telling them my address and showing the work permit with its address. Both were recorded and on the license it showed my real address.

Years later I lost the license and had moved. Went to get a new one, since I had new passport number and in Thailand no govt agency wants to see an expired passport, they did a new one. This time I gave my pasport and Tambien Baan (yellow book) and they liked that.

I have since stopped carrying it with me to use as ID of any kind. Passport is what they all want to make a photo copy of.

I almost only show my Thai driver's licence and that works in most cases. Only for certain transactions at banks, or for signing long-term apartment leases are passports insisted upon. Or of course for anything related to immigration.

But for hotel check-ins, domestic flights, general showing of ID, it's my driver's licence or the highway. But almost without exception my driver's licence has done the trick anyway, without any problems.

It is not wanted at Immigration or at 90 day reporting. They just pass it back to you.

Banks don't like it. They only want to photocopy passports.

Sometimes Banks or others like it because it shows local address written in Thai. Big Freakin Deal. If you have an electric bill you could use that instead.

I seem to recall one situation over the years where it was actually useful. What was it.... ? To sit on the board of my condo? No. They wanted my wife's book and marriage details, etc. No need for mine, even though I am co-owner on Chanote.

It was a bit of a pain to acquire - required 3 or 4 visits and the last one we needed a witness. The brother in law sat and said he knew me and I was me and a good guy.

Oh. it can be used to renew drivers license. But so can passport and other documents that prove residency such as electric bill or work permit, even. I got a drivers license by telling them my address and showing the work permit with its address. Both were recorded and on the license it showed my real address.

Years later I lost the license and had moved. Went to get a new one, since I had new passport number and in Thailand no govt agency wants to see an expired passport, they did a new one. This time I gave my pasport and Tambien Baan (yellow book) and they liked that.

I have since stopped carrying it with me to use as ID of any kind. Passport is what they all want to make a photo copy of.

I tried to renew my licence last month. I was told I had to get a letter from immigration to prove I lived where I did. Presented yellow book and was given back. No good. Anyone else had this issue? New rules she told me from the new 'government.'

You could ask ten different officials and get ten different answers about just about everything.

This is slightly off topic, but deals with the incompetence of the LTD and how what they say, if taken literally could be a big mistake and may lead to disappointment if not great expense.

I recently went in to get a car passport for my truck, which had just had it's title returned after having paid off the loan prematurely a couple of weeks earlier.

I already knew that the car passport, which is a purple document is ONLY valid for Laos, according to a bilateral agreement. When I asked them, the official proudly proclaimed it was valid for "Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and southern China" as if he was reading off a script. I was about to have a good laugh at his expense knowing full well Thai cars are NOT allowed to enter Vietnam or China at all, whether you have a car passport or not. You won't get in because there is NO agreement between Thailand and these countries allowing the entry of Thai vehicles into their territories. Nor is there an agreement to allow Vietnamese ones into Thailand either. Myanmar only allows Thai vehicles in near the border but you won't need a car passport for that. Cambodia is similar although they allow travel throughout the border province entered, not just the border city like in the case of Myanmar. Again, only the registration is required and the car passport isn't even accepted. Then the LTD goes onto to sell you useless "international" plates you don't need. Laos doesn't require them, while Malaysia wants a black sticker with white lettering containing your province, it doesn't accept the international plates because they just state "Thailand" with no province present. The girl who hands out the queue numbers also seems to think that someone who isn't the owner doesn't even need a power of attorney to take the vehicle out of the country if you have the registration and purple book. Again, this is not true although at larger crossings they might just not care, but it doesn't mean it's not required.

Then at the newly opened Phu Doo crossing a new official thinks foreigners not resident permanently in Thailand can't take a Thai registered car out of the country using a power of attorney (used in case the owner is not present) when the form clearly says "nationality" meaning that if non-Thais weren't allowed to take vehicles on behalf of Thai owners out of the country, there wouldn't be a space for nationality other than Thai. In the end he granted approval to allow the temporary export of the vehicle I was driving because I presented my case well, clearly stating I've brought cars not registered in my name across borders before and with my driver's licence address the same as that of my fiancee and a careful examination of my documents I was good to go. On the other hand, at the Mae Sot crossing no problems at all crossing with the car without being given the run-around only thing is Myanmar only allows day entry for the car and restricts the travel distance from the border to 12km. Same thing at other crossings, officials very helpful but often they don't know what the other hand is doing and their understanding of rules is inconsistent. I've also asked officials at 3 different Thai-Lao crossings about the entry of Vietnamese vehicles into Thailand (again knowing the rules already but just in case something has changed). At two of the crossings the answer was: NO Vietnamese vehicles can enter Thailand and no news of anything changing due to AEC 2015. But then suddenly at another one the official stated he's seen Vietnamese vehicles coming on a tour (OK that should be allowed) but even some coming independently, which I don't believe because the Lao side won't allow any Vietnamese (or Cambodian) vehicle to leave for Thailand. Only those with pre-approval can come.

Just some examples of the inconsistency with which officials in this country and to some extent neighboring countries don't know their own rules or seem to make them up as they go along. Knowing you're right often doesn't help even if they eventually allow you to do what you know you're entitled to, whether it's bringing a car across the border with a power of attorney or using a yellow book as a proof of address document. Nobody wants to admit they're wrong, so they just exercise some random "power" in the hope they don't have to deal with you. If you challenge them (politely and in Thai) they will usually allow you on your way but they still won't admit they're wrong.

I have been going to the local hospitals for nearly 7 years, I am registered with 4 in the area. I have also been to some of the local clinics, not the kind that has jumped to mind. Here in Chonburi there are many specialised clinics that are run by consultants from the local hospital, eyes and back for me. They are only open in the evenings after the day job and the doctors do not charge for their time so charges are low. When I saw the back consultant I was only charged for medication and I was 200 baht to have an insect wing removed from my eye, including the antibiotics. There is no differentiation in any of these establishments between locals and foreigners and everyone pays the same price. Many of the Thais have some form of insurance but there is still a large number paying for treatment.

There is no need to go and get registered at a hospital because you have to register before they will treat you. If you have a card, fair enough but if you do not have it they will just register you again. There is a hospital a couple of hundred yards from our house and I think I have been registered there about 5 times. They do not have a card just a piece of paper with a number on it, they even do it when I have gone for the med cert for the driving licence. The most impressive card is the Chonburi Cancer Hospital, just like a driving licence.

For anyone in this area that may be interested, the cancer hospital in Chonburi does a package for 1600 baht. They do full bloods, urine and stool tests, ECG, X-ray and doctor consultation. The ladies also get mammogram & self exam lesson.

When I went, the whole family went and we all paid the same, check ups are not covered. I ended up having a biopsy and they charged 1800 for that.

I bought a condo in Chiang Mai and received a yellow thabian baan. They said blue is for Thais only. The yellow book was easy to get at the CM district office; took a half hour.

One other potential use of the yellow thabian baan is that having one earns points on the 100-point scale for Thai citizenship. I assume it's also helpful when applying for permanent residence.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

• 1 month later...

With the yellow bookarrow-10x10.png you can get on to the 30 baht health system......all my visits to hospital and tablets the only charge I receive is 30 bht.....I have had x-rays numerous blood test, tablets every month and the charge is 30 baht...doesn't cover any dentist work....

I am sure that the yellow bookarrow-10x10.png do not mean free health care. I think your hospital might not know the rules - so good for you - but I would like to see some official documentation on that ? cheers!

Hello firefan......just to let you know that I have just come back from the hospital today and I am on the 30 bht thai health system again for another 12 months cover.......I had the usual blood test, urine test, bp test...chest x ray.......cost 2100 baht....along with look at my passport and yellow book....

As has been discussed in the health forum, some people get on the free healthcare scheme with their yellow book. This was a mistake, caused by unclear regulations. People already in it are honored (but believe not if they move) and some hospitals might still not know the rules.

• Like 1

As has been discussed in the health forum, some people get on the free healthcare scheme with their yellow book. This was a mistake, caused by unclear regulations. People already in it are honored (but believe not if they move) and some hospitals might still not know the rules.

The 'Health Scheme for Foreigners' ceased last June so should have now expired even for those who were wrongly allowed to participate in it. If you are still allowed to join this scheme, then it is a mistake on the part of the hospital.

The scheme still runs but it is only intended for workers from Myanmar, Lao and Cambodia.

• Like 1

Yes there is.

I don't think so. Explain, link, prove your point please ?

This thread prompted me to research what the card I get from the Social Fund is for. I get the card as a result of having a work permit and paying Social Fund contributions. I got an extremely informative answer from Sheryl in the health forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826343-social-fund-card

Yes there is.

I don't think so. Explain, link, prove your point please ?

This thread prompted me to research what the card I get from the Social Fund is for. I get the card as a result of having a work permit and paying Social Fund contributions. I got an extremely informative answer from Sheryl in the health forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826343-social-fund-card

Thanks for the link blackcab.

I've learned something new!

Didn't know there was a separate health scheme for those with work permits legally employed and paying taxes.

I have a couple of mates in that position but their married to government officials and get free health care under their wife's scheme.

• Like 1

No use whatsoever.

Really .Not in my case .I sell/buy motorcycles on a regular basis ,and it means with the Yellow book ,i dont have the hassel /expence of getting a residence cert each time .

Edited by anto
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For my car change of ownership/registration AND my Thai driver's licence

I was told to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration, which defines

my address at a condo in Chiang Rai.

This took 2 weeks and cost 200 Baht.

Apparently the immigration officer [or police] contact the claimed address to

confirm.

SO, what is the point of this 'Yellow Book' and would I qualify for one?

So much 'advice' on line is mere opinion and sometimes out of date.

Mind you, so is official Thai website info!

There are 3 different forms of proving one's address.

Immigration or banks will usually accept a rental agreement and/or copies of landlords ID card and Tabian Ban.

Most government and vehicle retailers will require a 'certificate of residence' as minimum proof.

Certificates of residence are only valid for 30 days.

The 'Yellow Book' (Tabian Ban) is a permanent registration of your address and is accepted by anyone in Thailand as proof of address. It is valid for as long as you remain at that residence.

The Thais have a Blue Tabian Ban for exactly the same purpose.

If your staying in Thailand, then having a Yellow Tabian Ban is an essential part of mixing into there society and saves a lot of aggravation and frustration in the long run.

Under the Civil Registration Act all foreigners with permission to stay in Thailand are entitled to apply for and be issued a Yellow Tabian Ban as proof of address.

The problem is that there is no defined requirement of documentation or proof, so each province will set it's own rules and requirements to issue this type Tabian Ban.

You need to check at your local Amphur what the requirements are.

As an example I had to supply the following:

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension

3. House ownersTabian Ban (signed with tele number)

4. House owners ID card (signed with telephone number)

5. Certificate of Residence (Obtained from Police station)

6. Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai, with attached photo.

7. 2 x Passport Photo for the application form.

The landlord had to also attend in person with his ID card and Blue Tabian Ban.

• Like 1

I bought a condo in Chiang Mai and received a yellow thabian baan. They said blue is for Thais only. The yellow book was easy to get at the CM district office; took a half hour.

One other potential use of the yellow thabian baan is that having one earns points on the 100-point scale for Thai citizenship. I assume it's also helpful when applying for permanent residence.

But should also have a blue book, however your name will not be in it, but if you didn't receive one you should request urgently.

But should also have a blue book, however your name will not be in it, but if you didn't receive one you should request urgently.

The Chiang Mai district office said they did not issue blue books to foreigners. What's urgent about it?

Having gone through this thread I am now even more convinced than ever that my fruitless attempts to obtain this hallowed book 6 years ago were a complete waste of time. Our tessaban insisted that I needed to obtain a proof of address certificate from the British Embassy which then needed to be translated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As a result, a couple of "fun" days in Bangkok were spent, mainly staring at the walls and ceiling of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs while they quibbled over every fine detail of the various certified translations we offered before finally deeming one to be acceptable for their purposes! But when we returned to our tessaban the following day they rejected the final version of the translated certificate on the grounds that the Thai spelling of my surname didn't exactly match that of my wife's in her Thai ID card!!crazy.gif

Edited by OJAS