Changing Non Immigrant ED Visa to Marriage Visa?

Hi there

I am currently on a Non Immigrant ED visa how do I change this to a Marriage visa?

I have heard that I have to leave the country and apply for another Non Immigrant visa for 90 days then it is converted from inside Thailand to a 1 year visa?

Why would I have to go to Laos to get another non immigrant visa if I already have one?

Can't I just show them the marriage certificate and all the correct paperwork before my current ED visa expires? If so where would I go to do this?

Thanks

I changed my non-0 ED to marriage extension about 9 months ago. I didn't need to leave the country as ED is a non 0. So, I just got my marriage extension on the ED.

However, I read in another post a while ago that this may have changed since I did my marriage extension.

I'm sure someone will clarify this for you soon. (UJ) thumbsup.gif

You cannot change non immigrant visa classes.

If you have a an entry from non-ed visa from an embassy or consulate you can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage with it.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon attending school (aka ED) you can change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. But you need a letter from your school stating the date your studies are ending so that your current extension can be canceled.

Both the above can vary from immigration to immigration office. Some will while others will not do it.

• Like 1

"I didn't need to leave the country as ED is a non 0."

No, it's not.

"If you are on an extension of stay based upon attending school (aka ED) you can change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. But you need a letter from your school stating the date your studies are ending so that your current extension can be canceled."

What do you do if you want to change, but also want to continue studying?

No, it's not.

"If you are on an extension of stay based upon attending school (aka ED) you can change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. But you need a letter from your school stating the date your studies are ending so that your current extension can be canceled."

You should really learn how to use the quote function.

If you wanted to continue your studies you would just keep going to school. The letter is just to cancel the extension and I am sure the school would have problem with you continuing your studies.

• Like 1

No, it's not.

And that reply helps anyone how!

Craigp. "ED" is not a "non O" it is a non ED.

You have a Non-Immigration visa. It's class is "ED" not "O". The class cannot change.

However, the reason for the extension of a Non-Immigration visa can be changed. As you did when changing from Education to Marriage.

Why would someone want to change the reason for the extension if they wanted to continue studying?

But if someone did change to marriage, or already has a marriage extension there is nothing stopping them from studying.

No, it's not.

You have a Non-Immigration visa. It's class is "ED" not "O". The class cannot change.

However, the reason for the extension of a Non-Immigration visa can be changed. As you did when changing from Education to Marriage.

Non-Immigrant Visa Categories "F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, R, RS, EX, and O"

As someone else said/implied, as long as you're in Thailand legally, you can study something ... even if you're here on a visa exempt entry, but there are ways to be in Thailand that seem to involve less hassle than managing an Ed extension of stay these days.

Edited by Suradit69

No, it's not.

Non-Immigrant Visa Categories "F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, R, RS, EX, and O"

As someone else said/implied, as long as you're in Thailand legally, you can study something ... even if you're here on a visa exempt entry, but there are ways to be in Thailand that seem to involve less hassle than managing an Ed extension of stay these days.

Thank you for the correction. It was an Non-Immigrant ED, (not an O) My mistake. However, the OP maybe able to get as marriage extension off his, as I did, without leaving the country etc.

Thank you for the correction. It was an Non-Immigrant ED, (not an O) My mistake. However, the OP maybe able to get as marriage extension off his, as I did, without leaving the country etc.

He may but it's not said. Immigration may (abusing their powers) refuse to make changes for people on ED visa or education extension of stay.

I'm attempting to do the same thing. Went to Chiang Mai immigration this week with my completed application in hand and they told me the laws have changed recently (they obviously weren't complicated enough) and that I'll need to go to Laos and get a new visa there once my current ED visa expires.

I'm attempting to do the same thing. Went to Chiang Mai immigration this week with my completed application in hand and they told me the laws have changed recently (they obviously weren't complicated enough) and that I'll need to go to Laos and get a new visa there once my current ED visa expires.

The law has not changed, they do that as part of the effort to make life miserable for people with ED visa or extensions.

• Like 1

Does my soon to be wife have to accompany me to laos at the thai consulate to get the new Non Immigrant visa?

Before going out for the visa you should at least check with you local immigration office to see if they will allow you to change the reason for your extension of stay.

Your wife would not need to go with you to get a single entry non-o visa. You will just need signed and dated copies of her house book registry and ID card. Plus you marriage certificate and a copy.