MOPH simplifies tobacco warning to increase effect

Lite Beer

MOPH simplifies tobacco warning to increase effect

NONTHABURI, 4 April 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) will start posting a simplified version of tobacco warning on packages from 30 September 2015.

According to the Director-General of the Department of Disease Control (DDC) Sopon Mekthon, the new version of the tobacco warning texts have been officially announced during the MOPH's 18th announcement regarding warning texts of tobacco harm on cigarette packages, which has also been announced in the government gazette.

The new warning texts, will be simplified for easier understanding, despite staying as effective as the previous warnings.

The new warning texts will be printed on cigarette packages on 30 September 2015. The text, written in Thai, includes warnings such as 'Tobacco contains embalming substance', 'Nicotine in Tobacco is used in pesticide', or 'There are 250 toxins in Tobacco'.

The DDC Deputy Director-General Panumard Yarnwaidsakul has said that the simplified version of warning texts will deliver the message to the public by using words that are easier to understand, which will raise the awareness on the dangers of smoking, help encourage smokers to quit, and help reduce the number of people who would try smoking.

The public can ask for more information regarding this matter by calling the Bureau of Tobacco Control tel. 02 580 9264, or the DDC Hotline 1422.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-04 footer_n.gif

More wasted campaign money.........

Only way to go is hit the smokers, where it hurts the most, their wallet!!

200 baht/pack will make quite a few smokers quit the habit!!

And don't give me, but the poor................It is not a democratic right to kill yourself!!

Let's be honest. Many smoker's have a death wish and these warnings are just a confirmation that their choice of death is assured. Insurance actuarials prove that smokers are good for society by not living long enough to collect their old age benefits. Also, I believe that adults should have the choice to abuse themselves in any way that does not cause harm to others. Smoking is a victim-less crime as one can't victimize one's self. Nanny Statism is anathema to me.

• Like 1

And don't give me, but the poor................It is not a democratic right to kill yourself!!

It will also create a huge, untaxed black market with even more corruption in the police to look the other way.

Let's be honest. Many smoker's have a death wish and these warnings are just a confirmation that their choice of death is assured. Insurance actuarials prove that smokers are good for society by not living long enough to collect their old age benefits. Also, I believe that adults should have the choice to abuse themselves in any way that does not cause harm to others. Smoking is a victim-less crime as one can't victimize one's self. Nanny Statism is anathema to me.

"Smoking is a victim-less crime..."

Since when has smoking been a crime?

There's no wasted campaign money, the cost of printing cigarette packs is borne by the cigarette companies and it's an individual's democratic right to smoke.

You just have to get your childish little remarks in don't you ?

Smoking in prohibited areas is at least an offence without being a crime per se.

I'm sure even you could work that out but not just have to criticise but never contribute.

• Like 1

"'Nicotine in Tobacco is used in pesticide', or 'There are 250 toxins in Tobacco'." Is this true or is it bullshit ?

If they use nicotine in pesticides, I guess we have to change or attitude buying vegetables, they might contain nicotine.

"'Nicotine in Tobacco is used in pesticide', or 'There are 250 toxins in Tobacco'." Is this true or is it bullshit ?

If they use nicotine in pesticides, I guess we have to change or attitude buying vegetables, they might contain nicotine.

if that's true perhaps I can change to carrots...

Warnings on fag packets just dont work

Wrong. There's plenty of evidence that suggest that they do. Google 'cigarette health warnings' you will find plenty of links. Here's just one http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0325.pdf

In your link, it says that half of smokers will die prematurely. Isn't that a good thing? Especially since we lose that part of the population that are too dumb to stop smoking. Isn't the planet overpopulated already? Why must out taxes be wasted saving every idiot on the planet? Keep them away from children if at all possible but stupid people should be encouraged to smoke; especially since it doesn't make them impaired like alcohol and they are only killing themselves. This population group is proven to be self-destructive and the sooner we can get them to die, the better off the rest of us will be. Keep cigarette taxes moderate to prevent developing a black market.

On a side note, when I was in junior high school, they showed us films of horrible, black, lung cancer, throats/faces cut away from cancer, and people with emphysema. And yet, at least 80% of us were smoking by high school. When you are young, you are invincible (in you own mind) and engage in risky behavior. That is why the armies of the world draft young people. Warnings on cigarette packs do nothing except possibly lowering the income to the State from cigarette taxes.To quote from your link: Moreover, smokers have become habitualized to the style of labels, to the point that the labels go unnoticed altogether.

Pedantic, much?

if that's true perhaps I can change to carrots...

Join the club!!post-218648-0-34645100-1428201587_thumb.

Guess if smokers don't like what on the pack they would simply buy a Cigarette Pack Holder to put the pack in.

They sell them very cheap in plastic all the way up to Leather or Silver and guess top model is the ones in Gold

I have to take Warfarin pills daily to thin my blood, yet part of the compound of these pills are found in rat poison. smile.png

Since most smokers are men why not make the packs look all cute with all kind of gay things?

Because the majority of male smokers are gays.

Please excuse me for altering your post a little. Because the majority of gays are male smokers. wai2.gif

Wrong. There's plenty of evidence that suggest that they do. Google 'cigarette health warnings' you will find plenty of links. Here's just one http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0325.pdf

In South Africa one of the health warnings concern the dangers of smoking whilst pregnant. I heard that some male smokers insist on buying those particular packs - because pregnancy does not apply to them. biggrin.png

Edited by NeilSA1

I have to take Warfarin pills daily to thin my blood, yet part of the compound of these pills are found in rat poison. smile.png

Yeah. There are lots of examples of using words to cause a knee jerk reaction. When hearing the word 'pesticide' it creates an image of some nasty chemical. When using 'solvents' we think of bad stuff too, but water is a solvent, and we can't live without that. Another one is 'bleach'.

Edited by Shiver

What a contradictory, pathetic statement. You have mentioned democratic rights, so tell me what is the democratic methodology in allowing a substance that can kill you to be freely sold on the open market in the first place? So you are basically saying don't ban them and save everyone's life but just increase the price to line the pockets of the system that allows the substance to trade. Who is killing who here? And don't tell me increasing the price of cigaretts prevents smoking because it does not.

• Like 1

why didn't the MOPH use their own cigarette brand on this Moph campaign; seems to me that

the monopoly is blaming other competitive brands versus theirs. another genius marketing by the Thai govt.