Swampy to Surin 5,000 Bt

kanderson

I was stressing about getting to Surin in half way good shape.

Taxi is 5,000 Bt + tip = 6,000 Bt

Everything is going well.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice about getting to Surin.

Now I have an apartment near the bus and train station.

Tong Turin Hotel is very good to start.

I still have breakfast there occationally at 150 Bt per person

1000 baht tip when you have already been ripped off, no wonder some Thais think falang have more money than sense, and yes I know how much more it would cost in London, NY etc. It's the Tong Tarin hotel, and breakfast is only 100 baht most other places. Come to think of it it's only 59 baht at Foodland in bkk! My sil got the bus from Rama 2 to Surin yesterday for less than 350 baht.

Edited by dragonfly94

6000 baht BKK to Surin. Are you $%^#w00t.gif NokAir http://www.nokair.com/nokconnext/aspx/Availability.aspx Don Mueang to Surin fly and ride 1075 baht.

Let's see. Most cab drivers are from Isaan. Those guys who haven't seen their family for a long time, will get you a special discount.

And Kwaibaah is correct. Check Air Asia, please What the OP gave as a freaking tip was enough to buy a ticket from Air Asia.

P.S. Just searched for a flights tomorrow and please see attached screenshots. Even if you can't book early enough to get a cheaper flight, you won't pay more than 1,500 baht inc. tax.

Thais call that Som Nam Naa.

About 40 minutes in a plane, Surin's only 50 km away from Buri Ram. I have to agree with others that the OP's insane, taking a cab to Surin.

post-158336-0-17003300-1428231737_thumb.

post-158336-0-27951200-1428232159_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

6000 baht BKK to Surin. Are you $%^#w00t.gif NokAir http://www.nokair.com/nokconnext/aspx/Availability.aspx Don Mueang to Surin fly and ride 1075 baht.

Let's see. Most cab drivers are from Isaan. Those guys who haven't seen their family for a long time, will get you a special discount.

And Kwaibaah is correct. Check Air Asia, please What the OP gave as a freaking tip was enough to buy a ticket from Air Asia.

P.S. Just searched for a flights tomorrow and please see attached screenshots. Even if you can't book early enough to get a cheaper flight, you won't pay more than 1,500 baht inc. tax.

About 40 minutes in a plane, Surin's only 50 km away from Buri Ram. I have to agree with others that the OP's insane, taking a cab to Surin.

The airport is called Buriram but lies only 8 km south of Satuk. 40 some km to Buriram and then another 40 some to Surin. That Air Asia flies now (only since a few days!) daily to Surin was probably not known to the OP. BTW, 5'000 by taxi to Surin is a good price, a Thai would pay not less.

Edited by Dario

1000 baht tip when you have already been ripped off, no wonder some Thais think falang have more money than sense, and yes I know how much more it would cost in London, NY etc. It's the Tong Tarin hotel, and breakfast is only 100 baht most other places. Come to think of it it's only 59 baht at Foodland in bkk! My sil got the bus from Rama 2 to Surin yesterday for less than 350 baht.

Yep, there's one born every minute!

Beware that Air Asia does NOT offer a fly and ride from the Buriram airport to Surin, Only Nok Air does this. They drop off and pick up in the Surim Majestic car park. AA is being subsidized by a certain ball club for theses flights. When that ends the flight ends. Unless you have some one picking you up at the airport it may cost you another 1200 baht taxi fare into Surin.

Edited by khwaibah

Last November, taxi took me from Swampy to my hotel. Driver started up conversation about my visit. Told him I was staying in Bangkok 2 days, then taking bus to Surin. He offered to take me and handed me a price list with charges to different cities. It was 3000 baht to Surin. On bottom of page it said 5000 baht for all day taxi rental. Bus from Surin to Mo Chit last Wednesday was less than 350 baht.

I spent the extra money because I was meeting my girl friend and wanted to get some sleep. This really worked well for me and I wasn't too tired - if you get the picture.

I wouldn't do it again I guess.

Som mum na my ass :-)

I also spent almost $500.00 ( three nights ) for a room with hot tub at Thong Turin before moving to a room for 1,000 Bt per night. This was the best room ever.

Thong Turin is very good at 1,000Bt per night with 2 breakfasts.

The rates are displayed on yellow card in the taxi. In Hawaii ( as in London ) taxi rates are insane.

I was able to sleep in the taxi and got to Surin early for more sleep. I was ready to go :-)

I spent the extra money because I was meeting my girl friend and wanted to get some sleep. This really worked well for me and I wasn't too tired - if you get the picture.

I wouldn't do it again I guess.

Som mum na my ass :-)

I also spent almost $500.00 ( three nights ) for a room with hot tub at Thong Turin before moving to a room for 1,000 Bt per night. This was the best room ever.

Thong Turin is very good at 1,000Bt per night with 2 breakfasts.

The rates are displayed on yellow card in the taxi. In Hawaii ( as in London ) taxi rates are insane.

I was able to sleep in the taxi and got to Surin early for more sleep. I was ready to go :-)

Isaan castel is next.whistling.gif

Edited by khwaibah

Oh, and I should mention Tawan Dang night club. It's very close to Tong Turin. Don't miss it if your in Surin.

I love expensive guitars. These boys have 5 guitar players. Some 1,000 people in there and it's rock en.

So far Surin is very nice. I am shooting a lot of video so I'll post some links when I can.

Sorry about the Sum num na comment. I'm happy your learning some Thai language. This phase is just impolite.

As for one born every minute = american BS language and also very impolite.

The taxi to Surin about 8+ hours. Then the driver has to drive back to BKK. Is $200.00 USD really too much ?

He got me sleep that I needed very much before seeing my girl friend.

Lots of regular women up here. Mine is an educated government worker. she is at work right now :-)

I speak Thai pretty good. I would never say sum num na to anyone. However I remember learning the phase. It's part of the process I guess.

Take the bus, train or plane and save money. On this trip taxi worked for me.

Last November, taxi took me from Swampy to my hotel. Driver started up conversation about my visit. Told him I was staying in Bangkok 2 days, then taking bus to Surin. He offered to take me and handed me a price list with charges to different cities. It was 3000 baht to Surin. On bottom of page it said 5000 baht for all day taxi rental. Bus from Surin to Mo Chit last Wednesday was less than 350 baht.

Looks like the taxi driver got that bit wrong. Buriram is 3500.

5000 to Surin when in a hurry is OK. The one thousand tip.....you are in Thailand so "up to you"!

Risking my life for 350 Baht on a bus ride? Better pay the 5000 and have the possibility to tell the driver to cool down. A taxi ride is much more comfortable, the 5000 is on the high price level already, you can get it from 3000+ if you know whom to ask

Fatfather

Risking my life for 350 Baht on a bus ride? Better pay the 5000 and have the possibility to tell the driver to cool down. A taxi ride is much more comfortable, the 5000 is on the high price level already, you can get it from 3000+ if you know whom to ask

Fatfather

Travelled many times on the bus from Bangkok. Never had a problem.

Taxi rides rarely have had a decent driver. They are always in a hurry and take unnecessary risks and endanger your life. Telling them to cool down is a great idea.But it doesn't work.

For 5000 baht plus a tip I would have flown to the airport in Buriram. Much cheaper and certainly a lot quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen on the taxi list 5000 to Sisaket. The trouble is, you don't know how long the driver has been on the riad already. Morning maybe ok. But evening, he may have been working 12 hrs already. Risky business. I wouldn't be able to sleep for keeping an eye on the driver.

Try breakfast in Corner Cafe. It in walking distance/cheaper and a lot better.

Lek restaurant is also walking distance too.

Good food and good service.

I have not been to Corner cafe for many many years now.

I see Lek restaurant and will look for corner cafe soon. Lek does't open until 10am or so and not many customers.

I'm using bus service now. Just did my extension at Kap Choeng 80 Bt round trip.

Thanks for the info.

Corner Cafe is 1.4 km from the bus station at GPS 14.884924, 103.504343 . It has only been open two years plus.

90025167.jpg

Edited by khwaibah

5000 sounds like a fair deal, I've heard of people paying 2000+ to Pattaya, which is about 1/3rd the distance.

Personally I wouldn't take a taxi to Isaan, but then I've been living here for a while so know of the other options which are faster (plane) or cheaper (bus/train). A taxi is more convenient though, and would probably arrive before a flight anyway, since flights leave from Don Meuang and only at certain times each day. Also a taxi can take you direct to a village in the countryside which could be helpful in many situations.

So when you're working abroad earning $US, spending a little extra for convenience is an ok tradeoff. Especially as you're going to spend your Thailand holiday in Isaan anyway, so won't spend much during the rest of your stay.

5000 sounds like a fair deal, I've heard of people paying 2000+ to Pattaya, which is about 1/3rd the distance.

Personally I wouldn't take a taxi to Isaan, but then I've been living here for a while so know of the other options which are faster (plane) or cheaper (bus/train). A taxi is more convenient though, and would probably arrive before a flight anyway, since flights leave from Don Meuang and only at certain times each day. Also a taxi can take you direct to a village in the countryside which could be helpful in many situations.

So when you're working abroad earning $US, spending a little extra for convenience is an ok tradeoff. Especially as you're going to spend your Thailand holiday in Isaan anyway, so won't spend much during the rest of your stay.

1/3rd the distance. I don't think so. Surin to BK 435 km. Surin to Sin City 446 km. Google Earth.

He went from Bangkok to Surin (435km).

Thus my "To Pattaya is about 1/3 the distance" refers to leaving from Bkk.

BKK to Pattaya is 149km according to Apple maps, so roughly 1/3 of the distance.

smile.pngsmile.png

In that case I agree.biggrin.png

Corner Cafe is 1.4 km from the bus station at GPS 14.884924, 103.504343 . It has only been open two years plus.

90025167.jpg

Thanks for the photo.

I'll go and find Corner Cafe. I've been living on KFC and Pizza Company - mostly.

Just got back from Prasat area. They have both Thai and Kambucha military guys up there.

Have lots of photo's

• 2 months later...

I see the you've paid over the odds brigade are out.

Anyone with a bit of common sense knows that it's possible to get on the interprovincial bus here and travel 100s of km for 300/400 baht,but not everyone wants to.

I've travelled to Lom Sak in Phetchabun for many years now from BKK and in that time I've used the bus half a dozen times.

Firstly as the passenger of a bus you have no control over the driver,secondly stopping every 30 minutes to let somchai on becomes rather annoying as does the incredibly loud crap they play on the TV,add that to a 13 hour plane ride from Europe and 4000 or 5000 baht taxi ride seems like a no brainier.

Ok if your on a strict budget like £145 a week UK pension then the mere thought of shelling out on a taxi gets you sweating after all that only leaves you 3000 baht.

Anyone took the Heathrow express recently £21 quid for a 15 minute train journey,brought a Cornish pasty at Liverpool Street train station £5 quid for the pleasure.

I base my own personal spending as if I lived in the UK after all my wages I earn there are fortunately for me on par with the cost of living there but I live here.

These same people who moan about paying overpriced taxis rather than the two bit bus are the same people who complain daily that the roads here are dangerous,but think nothing of getting the cheap bus.