Question, Short and Brief

Gonzo the Face

What are people doing to the mufflers on the motos ????

I know I am getting up and on in years, and as such I know that ones hearing should start to decline , little by little. But for the past year of so it seems that [maybe younger people] are gutting their mufflers. They just seem to be much louder and barking. Is this just another example of Thainess craving louder and louder noise??? I mean really there are some that just rattle the glass.

It's not solely just people being loud many a time i have been driving home or should i say driven home at 3 or 4 am and observed bikers/taxis beeping their horns for no apparant reason when i ask them why,usual retort back is up to me so a complete disregard for people sleeping nearby,and i'm sure a offence in the highway code or is it myway code if at at all 1 exists in thailand.

Being the biker from old though yes was true to take out the muffler and get extra horsepower which doesn't seem to apply to modern day bikes.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

It's not solely just people being loud many a time i have been driving home or should i say driven home at 3 or 4 am and observed bikers/taxis beeping their horns for no apparant reason when i ask them why,usual retort back is up to me so a complete disregard for people sleeping nearby,and i'm sure a offence in the highway code or is it myway code if at at all 1 exists in thailand.

Being the biker from old though yes was true to take out the muffler and get extra horsepower which doesn't seem to apply to modern day bikes.

You ask bikers and taxis at 3/4 am why they blow their horns?

John, being a bit of a biker I understand that some mufflers are a bit louder than others. In fact I have an FMF Q4 muffler/silencer on my current bike. Yes it is louder than the stock silencer but it also allows the horsepower to increase slightly. The difference between my bike and the little rice powered screamers, is that I dont hoon around like an idiot on speed. If one drives normally then the sound isnt too loud.

These idiot kids are just trying to impress. ....whom Im not sure. Either that or they are pathetic attention seekers.

Unfortunately they give the majority of good bikers a bad name.

• Like 1

Sorry Chiang Mai Kiwi,

Me not understand:

"allows the horsepower to increase" and "If one drives normally then the sound isnt too loud"
Why not ride normal all time without adding horsepower and as a result increase the sound????????????
RRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I agree with post 9; people who ride look-at-me bikes have no consideration for others. There are rules about undue noise whether it's from motorbikes; karaoke bars; discos; dogs. There is little consideration to unfortunates who live near the afore-mentioned. Children or workers are all submerged under this desire to be noticed.

• Like 1

As a general rule just removing the baffles from a silencer reduces horse power. For a positive increase you need to upgrade the carburettor/fuel injection system at the same time.

I thought Thais increased the noise level to scare away evil spirits, which like the bike owners are not noted as being very cleaver.

john

Bike rider for over 50 years.

Excessive loud exhausts should have the same treatment meted out in New York a Ban and a heavy fine! why do these Intimidating Prats think the whole world want to listen to their nerve grating selfish, macho sh-t?

• Like 2

I felt sorry for them... I assumed there was a negative correlation in the motorcycle noise level and thier dick size... coffee1.gif

Don't feel sorry for them,they don't feel sorry for the noise pollution they inflict on you,and your precious hearing,you could be right about the dick size though? something is definately making them anti social!

There are a few in the late/early hrs too........wakes me up from sleep, as they're trying to zoom extremely fast down the main drag!! Maybe, they'll get into an accident or hit a pole, and less noise!!!!

BTW: Does anyone know where to see the Manny/Mayweather fight on May 3rd in Chiang Mai?????

Just take the muffler off that big piece of American Scrap Iron smile.png you have (or had ) parked in your yard and you will show them a thing or two,

That's the spirit! ...fight fire with fire.

Most of the posters on this thread sound like hypersensitive twits who have been disturbed while having their tea and crumpets.

Incidentally, what do you mean by "American Scrap iron"? Harley-Davidson [aka Rolling Thunder]?

When it comes to earsplitting noise, the old hogs were second to none. Chiang Mai and its bikers don't know what real motorcycles sound like.

Before the USA became a police/nanny state in the 1970s, rowdy bikers were everywhere.

Marlon Brando's movie 'The Wild One' was based on the true story of motorcyclists taking over a town in Northern California.

The annual Laconia Rally in New Hampshire became so bloody violent that by the early '70s the local police in the neighboring towns armed themselves with shotguns and set up roadblocks to keep the bikers out.

Chiang Mai is an oasis of tranquillity in comparison.

Just take the muffler off that big piece of American Scrap Iron smile.png you have (or had ) parked in your yard and you will show them a thing or two,

Most of the posters on this thread sound like hypersensitive twits who have been disturbed while having their tea and crumpets.

Incidentally, what do you mean by "American Scrap iron"? Harley-Davidson [aka Rolling Thunder]?

When it comes to earsplitting noise, the old hogs were second to none. Chiang Mai and its bikers don't know what real motorcycles sound like.

Before the USA became a police/nanny state in the 1970s, rowdy bikers were everywhere.

Marlon Brando's movie 'The Wild One' was based on the true story of motorcyclists taking over a town in Northern California.

The annual Laconia Rally in New Hampshire became so bloody violent that by the early '70s the local police in the neighboring towns armed themselves with shotguns and set up roadblocks to keep the bikers out.

We hypersensitive twits speak out on behalf of ourselves and sleeping infants, sick or elderly people who need their rest, and people in general who hate unnecessary racket - the majority.

Harley-Davidson: turning gasoline into noise for over a century.

Ah, yes. Citizens packing shotguns to defend against marauding gangs. Those were the days! Too bad the nanny state intervened against that - and smallpox.

As a general rule just removing the baffles from a silencer reduces horse power. For a positive increase you need to upgrade the carburettor/fuel injection system at the same time.

I thought Thais increased the noise level to scare away evil spirits, which like the bike owners are not noted as being very cleaver.

john

Bike rider for over 50 years.

I agree in part with what you say John, some bikes need a bit of back pressure to make them run more efficiently. Whereas the aftermarket pipe/muffler I have isnt a cheap knockoff look a like. I also have the EJK fuel controller installed and a few airbox mods. There is quite a difference in how the bike now performs but very little difference in noise (Unless I crank the throttle wide open)

If Im out and about during the night hours I am very aware of others need for peace and quiet / sleep and keep the acceleration to a gradual increase and not full noise all the time.

When I was staying in Hillside 4, it was damn annoying in the early hours to hear these little pocket rockets racing up/down Huay Keow Road. Im not sure about the spirits thing and Im pretty sure these boy racers go out at night cause the roads arent as congested and the cops are either tucked up in bed or busy catching out bar owners who havent shut at the right time (Police revenue collection time?)

Not so bad out here in Mae Rim and the house is well away from the main road so all is good, jsut a bit of noise from an Army camp and the shooting range. Luckily they dont have to mant late night parties or night shoots!

We hypersensitive twits speak out on behalf of ourselves and sleeping infants, sick or elderly people who need their rest, and people in general who hate unnecessary racket - the majority.

Harley-Davidson: turning gasoline into noise for over a century.

Ah, yes. Citizens packing shotguns to defend against marauding gangs. Those were the days! Too bad the nanny state intervened against that - and smallpox.

You and the others are grossly overreacting to the problem of motorcycle noise in Chiang Mai.

I merely gave some examples as a comparison; and my views are twisted into being related to the spread of smallpox and the abuse of babies and the elderly.

Any well-travelled person would rate Chiang Mai as not too bad when it comes to vehicle noise.

Have you ever been to an Indian city? There you also have honking horns to make the cacophony even worse.

The problems here are reckless driving and air pollution made worse by exhaust emissions. not noise.

Law enforcement is a farce - they shake you down for petty infractions while ignoring the important issues.

But that's Chiang Mai... we can take it or leave it.