Best/ Worst day to travel to Buriram from Pattaya -this weekend

dec

Four day track event at Buriram Intenational Cicuit this weekend 11, 12,13,14....Planning to go for 2 days... best to go on Friday and come back Monday or go Saturday and come back Tues... normally, i would avoid Friday traffic but not sure whats going with Songran ??...cheers, Dec

Ohh dear,

Most of the traffic will be going with you if you are leaving Bangkok. sad.png

Your second option would be much better (go Saturday and come back Tues... normally) I think facepalm.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Look out! If you have not traveled to Isaan before or after the Thai New Year be warned. Expect long traffic delays. A 6 hour journey can easily take 18 hours. I have to travel Bangkok to Surin on Friday, 10th April. I fully expect this to be the busiest day for the exodus from Bangkok and for the road to be fully loaded with holiday traffic. Rather than face a lengthy delay by road I have decided to fly from Bangkok to Buriram (Satuk). I also expect long delays on both Saturday and Sunday. After the holidays I would think 15th April will be the worst and 16th and 17th to be busier than usual with everyone returning to Bangkok and Chonburi. Apart from numerous Police Checkpoints I would think the roads would be relatively quiet for your return journey on either 13th or 14th April.

Personally I would arrange to depart either very (very) late at night or very (very) early in the morning. I've found that a lot of people like putting things off to the last minute and then scamper/scramble/mad rush everything. By waiting to the late evening most of that mad rush may be over, or by leaving early you may be long gone before it even starts.

Too many people plan around "when it's convenient for them" while forgetting that also (often) means "convenient for everyone else" as well !

I apologize if it would seem that I am hijacking this topic but here goes. My wife is planning a trip from Sakon Nakhon to the Chon Buri area on the 11th with return trip about the 17th. Am I in for a nightmare of traffic? Will I be following the lemming herd we're taking the path less traveled?

Does anyone know what the toll roads will be like during this time? I have heard that they may be free to use during Songkran. If so, I guess my Monday's journey to the airport from Nakhon Pathom will take a lot longer than usual.

Tolls are free. If you are leaving Bangkok to Issarn anywhere allow 2-3 times the normal journey time.

Whatever day you leave/come back that is sound advice I think.

Done it numerous times.. but I was silly then.

best Dont go !

I will go Bang saray on saturday morning,

in morning - hope my thai family able to get up early,

not just at high noon and spend than the rest of the day on the highway;

Thais take it more easy - it is holiday, so why to stress, take your time,

3 days out of 6 you are on the road; Thais like it, because many stops possible on

service stations to fill up the car with snacks and softies;

I can give a bit of advice on the last leg of you trip, I live in Buriram province and the main road ( the 24) through the province is quite congested during Songkran, On the 24 take a left to the 224 to Korat ( 2nd main intersection on the 24 chok chai) follow that and just before Korat city take a right to the 226 which will lead to Lam Plai Mat > Buriram. Around 20/30 more km's but roads less travelled then the 24. But no guarantee how this is during Songkran though. Good luck.

Edited by Dutchbike
  • Like 1

Pattaya to Buriram on this weekend???

Absolute nightmare. Not that I could say anything better.

Saturday 11th is absolute stampede day.

Bumper to bumper all up to Isan.

Wreckless hooligans on the road. 4 lane traffic on two tracks if you know what I mean.

Kilometer long queues at every traffic light.

Your only chance: early Friday morning.

Our granddaughter will be on the road on Sat the 11th.

Last time (New Year) they needed about 12 hours for 400 km. from Ayuthaya to western part of Khon Kaen province

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I am staying at Ampher Ku Muang, Buriram. My advice is to avoid travelling that particular day bcos its very congested. Be it on bike or car. If you,re on bike, definately you will get wet along the road which is quite dangerous for bikers. But if you,re driving a car then I guess its ok. Btw its fun during songkran here in Thailand. Happy new year