Ubc Chiang Mai - Siam Tv

tigerbeer

we got it installed recently, their people handling UBC at Siam TV seem to be extremely rude to the point that it makes me sick! i've lived here for over 5 years but never had experiences of such an attitude. anyone else had problems with them???

its no point in talking to them. i give up! how do they get away with this??

we got it installed recently, their people handling UBC at Siam TV seem to be extremely rude to the point that it makes me sick! i've lived here for over 5 years but never had experiences of such an attitude. anyone else had problems with them???

Never had a rudness problem with them, just a problem where they couldn't help me...

I thought they were nice :o

~

Over the years I have found that they can indeed have an attitude at times; like many businesses that cater to a high number of falangs. I think they catch all of the grumblings from us "civilized folks" and if they see you coming in the door with a frown, your service is going to be something less than friendly.

I usually just ask in Thai how they are and it seems to break the ice when they look up and see my genuine smile. It is amazing how often seemingly rude behavior over here can be turned around with simple kindness...

If they already had the attitude when you arrived, it likely isn't about you. :o

Never had a rudness problem with them, just a problem where they couldn't help me...

I thought they were nice :o

did u come in with a bottle of sang som, roasted squid and some som tam with poo in it?

try this, call them up and ask them about their packages that are being offered. tell me how good their customer service is.

~

Over the years I have found that they can indeed have an attitude at times; like many businesses that cater to a high number of falangs. I think they catch all of the grumblings from us "civilized folks" and if they see you coming in the door with a frown, your service is going to be something less than friendly.

I usually just ask in Thai how they are and it seems to break the ice when they look up and see my genuine smile. It is amazing how often seemingly rude behavior over here can be turned around with simple kindness...

If they already had the attitude when you arrived, it likely isn't about you. :o

but it should be this way should it?? oh well who are we to change em!

With a total monopoly on cable service in Thailand, they can act pretty much however they want. :o

True. And I'm sure that many of us are not so nice, in the Thai way, and after a few hundred of us, they will normally reach some limits...

Oh , and I did call them up and ask them about their different packages, and nothing happened outside of getting my questions answered. I suggest you look at your own behaviour, too.

I went in to sign up and they were not overly friendly. Asked for clarification on the contract and wow this was way too much. Just sign it attitude and don't ask.

Oh , and I did call them up and ask them about their different packages, and nothing happened outside of getting my questions answered. I suggest you look at your own behaviour, too.

But hey you're just a farang customer - of course its your fault how could it be otherwise?

With a total monopoly on cable service in Thailand, they can act pretty much however they want. :o

I never had a problem here,but I have in my home country.In NZ they have a monoply and they can be a right pain in the arse.A mate of mine also had a problem so he cancelled his subs.On a bright note though, he now has to go down to the pub to watch the rugby....every cloud has a silver lining. :D

I called UBC when my remote control quit working. The lady who answered the phone said she would reset the signal, and I should wait 30 minutes and try again. If it still failed, she gave me the technician phone number to call.

30 minutes later, it was raining like crazy and nobody in Chiang Mai had a TV signal. But about an hour later, the signal returned and the remote was still dead. The TV happened to be parked on BBC World, which is where it tends to hang out, but still.

I called the number. I told the lady what happened. I volunteered, "it's not the batteries" and she laughed. Then she told me to bring it to their office near Wat Phra Sing for replacement. I'm quite ne to Chiang Mai and don't know where anything is, and I don't speak Thai yet, but I found it on my map, jumped on my bike, and eventually found the place.

I explained my problem, a guy took my remote but gave me my batteries, I signed a piece of paper, I sat on the sofa, and I pulled the ever-present reading material from my ever-present backpack. Don't leave home without it. Maybe five minutes later, my techie guy appeared carrying 8 remotes wrapped in service tickets, including mine. He walked across the street, returned, handed me a brand new remote in a plastic bag.

A wai, a kawp khun khrap, another ten-minute bike ride, and I used the new remote from outside the house to change the channel, in an attempt to freak out my wife. She didn't notice. The TV was behind her, and she was reading thaivisa.com's wonderfully informative forums. :o

In short, one experience with UBC TV, and it was good. But I've only been here two months. :D

Edited by CalicoConsulting

I called UBC when my remote control quit working. The lady who answered the phone said she would reset the signal, and I should wait 30 minutes and try again. If it still failed, she gave me the technician phone number to call.

Just curious but why would she reset the signal and ask you to wait 30minutes??? what on earth does the remote control have to do with the transmission???? :o

and guys. WETV does not compare to what UBC has on its channels. face it, we're stuck with a monopoly. 1,400 for gold subscrition with VAT not included. Its got to be totally expensive but hey got not choice.

Just curious but why would she reset the signal and ask you to wait 30minutes??? what on earth does the remote control have to do with the transmission???? :o

I am sure it is because she needs to order the reset from a technician. The 30 minutes gives her time to call him and him time to do the reset...

Only had problems with Siam TV - bought a cheap toaster, kept breaking, I'd return it, they'd take a week to fix, use for a few days then back to the shop for repair. Eventually as the bloody thing was only a few months old I asked for my money back. I was polite and patient but their response was why had I bought a cheap one - good point but not something I expected the retailer to tell me. I then blew up, showed no respect or patience and had my refund within a few minutes.

Only had problems with Siam TV - bought a cheap toaster, kept breaking, I'd return it, they'd take a week to fix, use for a few days then back to the shop for repair. Eventually as the bloody thing was only a few months old I asked for my money back. I was polite and patient but their response was why had I bought a cheap one - good point but not something I expected the retailer to tell me. I then blew up, showed no respect or patience and had my refund within a few minutes.

For another view, I have been shopping at Siam Tv for more than twenty years. I buy from them for their outstanding customer service. Yeah, they do carry the cheapo Chinese stuff for the kitchen, but I assume that if I buy one, it is not going to last long... But, even with the cheapo stuff, if there is a problem, they will replace it, or fix it, for free...

On the higher end stuff, specifically A/C, TV's and refridgerators, they deliver and setup at my house, as well as servicing them when needed. For the A/C's, they will come out every ninety days for free and clean and provide any chemicals needed- no charge- for two years.

In my estimation, they are the best place in town for almost anything, and anytime I have bought somewhere else, I have usually regretted it.

I have always thought that they don't give your money back, but it seems that they do if you 'blow up'

For another view, I have been shopping at Siam Tv for more than twenty years. I buy from them for their outstanding customer service. Yeah, they do carry the cheapo Chinese stuff for the kitchen, but I assume that if I buy one, it is not going to last long... But, even with the cheapo stuff, if there is a problem, they will replace it, or fix it, for free...

On the higher end stuff, specifically A/C, TV's and refridgerators, they deliver and setup at my house, as well as servicing them when needed. For the A/C's, they will come out every ninety days for free and clean and provide any chemicals needed- no charge- for two years.

In my estimation, they are the best place in town for almost anything, and anytime I have bought somewhere else, I have usually regretted it.

I have always thought that they don't give your money back, but it seems that they do if you 'blow up'

I've also had nothing but positive experiences with Siam TV, both sales and service. As in most places in Thailand, you get better service if you speak Thai.

I've also had nothing but positive experiences with Siam TV, both sales and service. As in most places in Thailand, you get better service if you speak Thai.

perhaps i should make it clear that i meant UBC TV chiang mai which is run by Siam TV. I have shopped at SIam TV before and they are fine. UBC division is not fine!

A couple of months ago I bought a LCD TV from Siam TV.

The young sales lad didn't say too much but wasn't pushy and answered all the questions. What I did like though was the subtle way he steered me towards a better choice of tv (higher spec etc). Price was not a factor here and I was glad I look the sales persons advice.

They delivered and set the TV up which you wouldn't expect anything else having doled out almost 60,000 baht.

What I was not thrilled about was having paid by credit card, the receipt came back with 2 totals one in Baht and the other in £ sterling. I asked politely both in English and Thai which figure was to be charged to my credit card? This simple question took some figuring out and I kept getting the same reply "No charge for credit card payments". I could see from the credit slip that the exchange rate was poor and a lot less than if the card was charged in Baht and the credit card company did the converstion in the UK.

I evetually gave up, but they must have had this question numerous times.

And you guessed it, they charged the £ sterling figure to the card. I reckon the TV cost and extra 2,500 baht because of it. Not a huge amount in the scheme of things but it certainly pays the wages.

I seem to remember they said if anything went wrong I had 7/10 days to take the TV back after that - who knows. To be honest I wouldn't like to think about it too much, but touch wood I've had no problems at all with the TV.

On balance I'd go back, but if I was paying by credit card I'd definetly check around other stores before buying.

The young sales lad didn't say too much but wasn't pushy and answered all the questions. What I did like though was the subtle way he steered me towards a better choice of tv (higher spec etc). Price was not a factor here and I was glad I look the sales persons advice.

They delivered and set the TV up which you wouldn't expect anything else having doled out almost 60,000 baht.

What I was not thrilled about was having paid by credit card, the receipt came back with 2 totals one in Baht and the other in £ sterling. I asked politely both in English and Thai which figure was to be charged to my credit card? This simple question took some figuring out and I kept getting the same reply "No charge for credit card payments". I could see from the credit slip that the exchange rate was poor and a lot less than if the card was charged in Baht and the credit card company did the converstion in the UK.

And you guessed it, they charged the £ sterling figure to the card. I reckon the TV cost and extra 2,500 baht because of it. Not a huge amount in the scheme of things but it certainly pays the wages.

I seem to remember they said if anything went wrong I had 7/10 days to take the TV back after that - who knows. To be honest I wouldn't like to think about it too much, but touch wood I've had no problems at all with the TV.

On balance I'd go back, but if I was paying by credit card I'd definetly check around other stores before buying.

Did you see that you were charged 3% extra for using your credit card?

Did you see that you were charged 3% extra for using your credit card?

perhaps they did "conveniently" charge you the 3%. i wouldn't be surprised! the normal thing to do here in thailand which everyone does including the locals is ask if there is going to be an extra charge if a credit card is used.

If there was a 3% charge it was well and truely hidden on the credit slip, because there where only 2 totals one in Baht (the price of the TV) and the other in £ and there was no indication of a surcharge.

Surcharge hidden in the conversion rate????????? :o

When I have used my card, they always make a point of telling me first, and I recall a written note in English posted right in the office in an obvious place. Don't know what the answer is with your story, but it does seem strange if they didn't say anything to you about being charged... Maybe you weren't charged, but that doesn't make much sense, either.

The first time I was charged, I called the cc company. They told me it was illegal, and the stores did it to recapture their money they pay for cc service. They also told me that it was easy to get it back if it was obvious on the cc receipt. Maybe it's only me, but eveytime I have been charged, it has never been obvious enough to get repayed...

Edited by Ajarn

WETV is pretty good IMO.

Great value.

What is good about WETV?

Possibly the only thing it has going for it is BBC, apart from that it's the price that's the draw card.

But I can watch plenty of rubbish on Thai TV, without paying WETV for it...

Not in English! :D

From what I see of WETV, there are not many English Channels. I don't speak Spanish, Italian, French, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) or Japanese.

There just seems like a load of crap in a load of languages!!

I'm as well off with Thai! :o

he first time I was charged, I called the cc company. They told me it was illegal, and the stores did it to recapture their money they pay for cc service. They also told me that it was easy to get it back if it was obvious on the cc receipt.

What do you reckon if I go back and complain? Maybe get "Loaded" to go back with me, he seems to get results there :o