Transferring Thai extension of stay from old to new passport

I just received a new passport to replace my expiring passport. The old one has the extension of stay for a non-B visa that's up for annual renewal in mid June.

I have three questions regarding the transfer of the stamp from old to new passport:

1. Is it simply a matter of taking both passports to immigration (in my case, One Stop) and asking to have the stamp transferred?

2. I'm traveling to Japan in May. Do I need to transfer the stamp from old to new passport before then, or can I travel out of Thailand and back using both passports?

3. Assuming the answer to question 2 is that it's OK to travel with both passports, can I wait till the day I go for permit extension in June, and show both passports?

Thanks very much. I went through the same procedure to transfer the stamp from an old passport to a new passport 10 years ago, but don't remember exactly how I went about it.

OP - which nationality are you? If British, the attached notice sets out how you can go about obtaining the necessary Embassy letter. Please note that, should you elect to do so through a personal visit to the Embassy, no prior booking will be required in accordance with their online appointments system which is now in operation.

I gather that, in the case of virtually every other nationality, the Embassy issues the necessary letter with your new passport as a matter of course.

150211 Visa Transfer Letter Final.docx

• Like 1

I would say.

1. Yes

2, No There have been reports of people with extensions of stay having problems when they tried to leave the country without the stamps being transferred.

Since the main immigration office at CW wants a letter from the embassy I think it will be the same at the one stop.

OP - which nationality are you? If British, the attached notice sets out how you can go about obtaining the necessary Embassy letter. Please note that, should you elect to do so through a personal visit to the Embassy, no prior booking will be required in accordance with their online appointments system which is now in operation.

I gather that, in the case of virtually every other nationality, the Embassy issues the necessary letter with your new passport as a matter of course.

Thanks for that. smile.png

Do you happen to have a copy of the pro-forma? I've searched their website but to no avail. I actually might not need the letter, as I renewed my passport in the UK & have the receipt, but the email option offers a nice, cost free backup plan.

This letter seems quite old, as it applies to visas which can no longer be transferred. I hope the option is still available. dry.png

Edited by GanDoonToonPet

I would say.

1. Yes

2, No There have been reports of people with extensions of stay having problems when they tried to leave the country without the stamps being transferred.

Since the main immigration office at CW wants a letter from the embassy I think it will be the same at the one stop.

Thanks. I'm American, so hopefully I'll receive the proper letter from the embassy when I pick my passport up this week. Will go to One Stop as soon as I have it.