Seven million rai of Sor Por Kor land to be reclaimed from landlords

webfact

Giving a poor farmer a small plot of land will ensure one thing - that they remain poor, unless they sell it. Which is apparently illegal and against the spirit of the scheme.

Hmmm, peppercorn leasing perhaps, but what stops the "poor" farmer sub-leasing it?

BTW just how that man with wider vision than us poor fools works out that the land will belong to the RTA is a mystery.

That poor person is still going to have to spend money on that land to turn it into something that will make him less poor!! He needs to make a decent return on investment otherwise his overheads just increase and his financial burdens increase.

Come harvest time he will rhen have to fork out more money for labour costs etc.

Sell the land to a farang and it's guaranteed to earn them a revenue.

Just curious as to how much of this 7 million rai was rice farm. Surely much of it was and the rich land owners made a lot of money during the rice pledging scheme.

35+ million tons of grain was bought by the PTP govt for 700 billion from 1.7 million farmers, how many poor farmer actually benefited from this scam scheme?

How many poor farmers benefited, well- I don't have the facts and figures but would suggest the answer to the question is more than likely - none, zero, zilch.

• Like 1

One time my dad and I were talking about the amount of welfare Australian people and the government gave to the Abos. Not just dole money but money to buy farms, money that wasn't always paid back. Gifts of land to tribal councils that exclude white people from that land. Schemes to give them jobs, often with skill training that they treated with indifference. Dad's arguement was you have to try these things to show them the way forward, to show the there is more to be gained form a good paying job as opposed to doing nothing and claiming the dole.

My argument was that anyone that doesn't have to pay to get something, or work to establish their business/farm, will not have the same sense of values as someone who has to put their name, reputation and future on the line.

That logic can be applied here in LOS. Families will be given the land but they won't place the same value on it a buyer would. They will do what they always did in the past and it wont work. Agriculture in LOS is changing. Anyone with a small farm is going to be toast in a few years. The big farms have economy of scale. A farmer with 1000 rai can make more money per rai and with less workers than a farmer with a 10 rai farm. Your 10 rai farmer may survive if he changes his crops and farming practices.....but will they?

In a previous post the comment was made that in 10 years time the fat cats will again own the land....and that's probably right!

A bit rich.

Yes, it's funny that - almost as if the Abo's didn't want you there in the first place, perhaps you should not have encroached on their land unless they were willing to negotiate but then I suppose they should be grateful that you've stopped hunting them and are giving them some of their own land back.

I don't see your logic; you didn't pay for the land you occupied in Australia yet you've made plenty of money out of it.

You second Australians are the fat cats.

Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1

talking is fine but its the actions we need before we can say well done. Lets see these corrupt owners have all their assets seized, compensation in the millions taken from it and then thrown in jail, until then it is simply spin

You are just forgetting, that without the original holders of this land illegally selling the land, no crime would ever have been committed.

The present owners actually paid money (peanuts) for the land, they didn't steal it!!

So the guys who should be headed for jail here, are those who sold the Kings land.

And now they are going to repeat it all over again, giving land to landless farmers(!!) and in 10 years time it will all belong to big landlords again. Only this time they will be wearing yellow shirts!!

For sure it is no coincidence that the crackdowns are only taking place in the North and North East, while Mr Suthep & Co are left alone!!

JOC...... are you really stupid or just a wind-up.... The title deeds were sold onto these rich persons by corrupt officials at the Land Office.. The land was never in the possession of the poor peoples... Get off your high horse and get over the fact that Thaksin, your hero has gone and will NOT be coming home alive..! whistling.gif

Yes it's a shame he probably won't be coming back alive- a fitting return would to be brought back in chains and paraded through the streets for all to see in the back of a bullock wagon on his way to the gallows, guillotine, or ritual burning at the stake. It would be a suitable send off for such a corrupt fugitive criminal.

Damn sounds like the US stole land from the natives moved them to unliveable land the find something of value there move once again. Not on my high horse either Make you think your doing them a favor.But what really pissed me off was fighting in war on another's soil coming home and finding all that was promised was a lie then seeing the people who's country I spilled blood for come to my country and get free homes,land, and social security benefits which dime one was never paid into it in there name. Then the topper being spit in my face for answering my countries call to duty to protect the very freedoms they have to spit in my face and burn my flag. am'I bitter No But neither will I ever defend there rights again. I will protect my own till my death but as for the other's oh well.

• Like 2

I don't get it. I thought the army was on the side of the rich elite against the poor illiterate farmers. I thought the problem was that Yingluck was wasting the money of the rich tax payers to buy the vote of the rural poors. Now it seems the army wants to take the lands from the rich to give to the poors. What's going on? What did I miss ?

Sir

You missed nothing, Thaksin, Yingluk and the retired army general, have tried to buy votes, Just like the British politics do.

talking is fine but its the actions we need before we can say well done. Lets see these corrupt owners have all their assets seized, compensation in the millions taken from it and then thrown in jail, until then it is simply spin

You are just forgetting, that without the original holders of this land illegally selling the land, no crime would ever have been committed.

The present owners actually paid money (peanuts) for the land, they didn't steal it!!

So the guys who should be headed for jail here, are those who sold the Kings land.

And now they are going to repeat it all over again, giving land to landless farmers(!!) and in 10 years time it will all belong to big landlords again. Only this time they will be wearing yellow shirts!!

For sure it is no coincidence that the crackdowns are only taking place in the North and North East, while Mr Suthep & Co are left alone!!

cant help yourself can you, I suggest you try reading the op again as it says north and south but that would take away all your ammo hey, you really are getting pathetic these days with your innuendo and red garbage plus now you are no longer able to understand basic english, maybe I should feel sorry for you. You do realize that they have been saying for a while now that all the land given out will still belong to the govt & will not be able to be sold dont you or did you forget that too in your rush to run down those yellows or actually its anyone that isnt a red going by what you say.

And Chachoengsao is not in the North or the North East - I've lived there, it's in Nowheresville but that's another story.

And the good deeds and decisions are pouring in every day.

Does any of the TVF members listen to what is happening or the needle has stuck on.......we want democracy, we want democracy......................

Wake up, fellow members, democracy will come when this country is ready to accept it.

For the moment is a lot to be done and this government is dealing with it and delivering.thumbsup.gif

"delivering"?

call us when you see truly poor farmers on the land working it, living there, making money with all the correct paperwork.

i would say they have delivered less than 5% of all the "talk" they've spouted, which is good and a start

but

try to be sensible and realistic in your praise

• Like 1

It would be fair to assume that the same criteria will apply to this land as that recently allocated to poor farmers. THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SELL IT. Therefore your assertion is worthless.

• Like 1

Does any of the TVF members listen to what is happening or the needle has stuck on.......we want democracy, we want democracy......................

Wake up, fellow members, democracy will come when this country is ready to accept it.

For the moment is a lot to be done and this government is dealing with it and delivering.thumbsup.gif

"delivering"?

call us when you see truly poor farmers on the land working it, living there, making money with all the correct paperwork.

i would say they have delivered less than 5% of all the "talk" they've spouted, which is good and a start

but

Suggest you try to be sensible and realistic in your assumption of <5% particularly as many of the projects are WIP.

I don't get it. I thought the army was on the side of the rich elite against the poor illiterate farmers. I thought the problem was that Yingluck was wasting the money of the rich tax payers to buy the vote of the rural poors. Now it seems the army wants to take the lands from the rich to give to the poors. What's going on? What did I miss ?

To get the right answers you need to ask the right questions - which you have! Most just make assumptions based on their own cultural upbringing and experiences.

TVF members normally decry the core values that the PM wants taught in the school, rather than using them as a tool to see inside the mind of the General/PM.

Every thing in TVF Land is to be seen in a political paradigm - but what books do aspiring Army officers read and what do they learn from them (mandatory reading includes the Malay Emergency histories)

What is the Oath that the Former General took?

What do retiring Buddhist Generals think about and where do they get advice from about how to handle the issue of rebirth?

At the very least this provides a different perspective on the events in Thailand wai2.gifwai2.gif

There are 2 parties responsible for this.

The land department for not having the resources to control it.

And Somchai for maybe wanting to send his kids to uni.

I know thats what happened with a piece of land we have.

How do you know the farmers sold it, how do you know it wasn't taken by loan sharks for unpaid debt or stolen in some other way ?

You have done an investigation, right ?

• Like 1

JOC...... are you really stupid or just a wind-up.... The title deeds were sold onto these rich persons by corrupt officials at the Land Office.. The land was never in the possession of the poor peoples... Get off your high horse and get over the fact that Thaksin, your hero has gone and will NOT be coming home alive..! whistling.gif

No I am not really stupid!!

But unlike you I know what I am posting about> A lot of Kor Sor Por land are traded without the Land Office getting involved.

I know, because I have owned KSP land, and both buying and selling it did not involve the Land Office.

A piece of paper describing the lands boundaries and size with a signature from the local village head is all that is needed.

As for your Thaksin comment, just proves, you are not a member of MENSA...................coffee1.gif

There are 2 parties responsible for this.

The land department for not having the resources to control it.

And Somchai for maybe wanting to send his kids to uni.

I know thats what happened with a piece of land we have.

Forgot to mention other land we have that came from-

A guy who slept around on his missus and incurred gambling depts.

A family that the father had all the land in his name and 4 siblings needed money.

A man who wanted to buy a mackro rather than farm,

And a family that had moved provinces.

Our area is tightly held land and the only way you can get hold of it is by marrying a village member and having the consent of the local government and elders.

By thai law this is not correct but has been going on for at least 35 years in our area,mind you nobody has more than 100 rai as an individual.

• Like 1

We don't do populist policies !!

Write off farmere debts

Hand out free land

Yeah how very charitable the Junta are, and the land given to the poor will be owned by the poor Outright or belongs to the big green?

It amazes me just how there is a section of farangs here who are like fish to bait and swallow this hook line and sinker without looking outside their tunnel vision

Amazing Thailand? amazing farangs more like.

What are you basing your post on?

Basing my post on many farangs claims that it was only the PTP who did populist policies ie I will give you x, y or z if you vote for me.

Of which I've always said all parties do things and say things to away opinions and votes on their behalf, the current administration is NO different in using such policies to sway opinions, it's not a bad thing, what's the bad thing is that one side of the political divide sees it differently.

Yinkgluck used words to the farmers like you will get rich, if you keep voting for us, and some did, most didn't.

You might look at what the junta are doing as a good thing, others will see it as populist policies to curry favours.

Is there a point to your post? Actually don't bother answering that one, as I've followed your posts in the Koh Tao threads and know where your loyalties lie. And whom you rub shoulders with so it wouldn't come as a big surprise if you see the junta as the saviours of the Universe.

Edited by Fat Haggis
  • Like 2

Fat,

This land reform was not instituted by this government.

It has been around for a long time. The title deeds were restricted. Removing the land currently illegally held and putting it back into exactly what the policy was based on, and the titles requirements isn't populist policy. It is law enforcement.

• Like 2

They wont let a Farang buy a small plot of land to build a home for

his family, because they would leave no land for the poor,this report

proves its not Farangs they need to worry about but rich ,influential Thais

who grab all the land.

regards worgeordie

so very true

• Like 1

lol, the arguments from PT supporters against the Junta are getting thinner and more desperate as time goes on and all their predictions of what Prauyth intends to do never happen.

Face up to the facts : the Junta are genuinely trying to help the poor and all you can do is try to bring it down.

Is 'spin' the best you can manage now ?. And do you seriously think that Farang who grew up in real democracies and are well educated are the ones who have got it wrong, whereas you who grew up in an environment of corruption and cheating carry the baton of truth ?. Did it ever occur to you that there is no need for the Junta to do any of this. They don't have to worry about re-election or popularity : they are out as soon as elections are called whatever.

You people need to wake up to the fact that your greed, bitterness and jealousy is Thailand's big problem. You are not the solution for all the troubles, you are the cause.

EnglishJohn,

When I physically see with my own eyes what real help that this junta is doing for the poor of this country I will buy you a beer.

I think that if I bought it now it would have evaporated by the time I see progress.

All that I hear are promises but no action, a bit like the English football team.

I want EVERYONE in this country to be happy and proud and earn enough to feed and cloth themselves and their families, not false promises.

They are looking after themselves and their elite bosses, can you not see that ?

Have a nice day

To get the right answers you need to ask the right questions - which you have! Most just make assumptions based on their own cultural upbringing and experiences.

TVF members normally decry the core values that the PM wants taught in the school, rather than using them as a tool to see inside the mind of the General/PM.

Every thing in TVF Land is to be seen in a political paradigm - but what books do aspiring Army officers read and what do they learn from them (mandatory reading includes the Malay Emergency histories)

What is the Oath that the Former General took?

What do retiring Buddhist Generals think about and where do they get advice from about how to handle the issue of rebirth?

At the very least this provides a different perspective on the events in Thailand wai2.gifwai2.gif

Wow! That was way too deep & meaningful (read "obscure") for me to understand. But then perhaps I am obtuse!

We don't do populist policies !!

Write off farmere debts

Hand out free land

Yeah how very charitable the Junta are, and the land given to the poor will be owned by the poor Outright or belongs to the big green?

It amazes me just how there is a section of farangs here who are like fish to bait and swallow this hook line and sinker without looking outside their tunnel vision

Amazing Thailand? amazing farangs more like.

What are you basing your post on?

Probably something he heard on Skype when chatting with some dude in Dubai.

"delivering"?

but

Suggest you try to be sensible and realistic in your assumption of <5% particularly as many of the projects are WIP.

Try reading my post again, particularly the bit where I said "which is good and a start"

"a start" is quite similar to WIP, in my book. wink.png

Now if you dont think the gushing for the junta which costas is re-known for is overboard then, join in with him,

and gather some of your own ridicule.facepalm.gif

• 4 years later...
On 4/7/2015 at 7:14 PM, dcutman said:

Just curious as to how much of this 7 million rai was rice farm. Surely much of it was and the rich land owners made a lot of money during the rice pledging scheme.

35+ million tons of grain was bought by the PTP govt for 700 billion from 1.7 million farmers, how many poor farmer actually benefited from this scam scheme?

You wouldn't be far from the truth if you said - "no poor farmer benefited"