Direct Asia Insurance personal experience

konying

Direct Asia Insurance

Some people have asked about experience with this company.
Not to enter the grey area or to have this post locked, this is my experience obtaining insurance
Got on line and followed the steps, final amount quoted was just over 11 000
Went to purchase it, only not possible.
So filled out details for someone to call me.
Next day, received a call, but was in the meeting and asked them to call back in 2 hours.
5 hours later(not 2) got a call again, but i was away from my desk, so no information available, arranged to have call back at 2pm the following day to make sure i have the book with me and everything else.
Next day, NO call at 2 pm, but few hours later, anyhow, went through the quote, as it turns out the price now is about 40% and value of the car is about 10% less,
Why? because apparently website has not been updated/does not get updated.
Somewhat strange for an online insurance company.
Anyhow, requested higher value and strangely enough premium did not change. S
Still about 40% higher than the website quote.
Went ahead and made the payment with a credit card.
Few hours later, received welcoming email with password and log in information for my account, supposedly i now had insurance.
Wanted to log in to make sure all details are correct, ONLY unable to log in, user name(my passport number) not valid.
Tried to reset password, may be some glitch, only my email is also NOT VALID.
Sent email about the problem, 24 hours later no response.
Called them, was told will send password again, but refused to wait on line for me to check.
New password arrived 1 min after the call, same problem again.
Called again and really was not feeling overly confident with this company(still no response to my email)
Explained the problem and asked to cancel the policy.
After i asked to cancel, was asked WHY I WANT TO CANCEL?
i thought it was pretty clear, but i was wrong.
Mins later, phone given to someone senior, telling me they would look into it.
Told them was not interested, as wanted full refund because policy did not exist, my user name did not exist, nor did my email. Basically i had no insurance, even though i paid for it.
Senior "person" was very understanding, and promised to arrange everything and let me know 10000% by Tuesday 7 April.
It is now almost midnight and no surprise no call back and still no response to email.
Thankfully i paid with credit card, charge back to follow.
This is my experience using this company, good or bad, will let readers decide.

A Google search for this company reveals they are an Insurance brokerage that is tied up with similar operations in Hong Kong and Singapore.

A lengthy news release on their site explains how they have an exclusive arrangement with Falcon Insurance to sell their car insurance in Thailand.

How you can be a broker but then have an exclusive relationship with just one insurer puzzles me... Because that's actually defined as an agency.

There's nothing wrong with an Insurance company offering their products on a direct basis and doing so aggressively. But there's definitely something wrong with deceiving the market pretending to be a broker but in fact operating as a sole agent.

In the insurance game in thus part of the world you need to take care and not accept things at face value. In my book, any crowd that starts off deceptively - like the offshore health insurance brokers pretending to be local - gets disqualified at the starting gate because they declare at the beginning that they take a flexible view of the truth.

No one else with experience dealing with this company? By the way, now its the 8th and again not a single word from the senior or email response

I took out a policy with them a couple of months ago-no problems found them very efficient thumbsup.gif

No one else with experience dealing with this company? By the way, now its the 8th and again not a single word from the senior or email response

I took out a policy with them a couple of months ago-no problems found them very efficient thumbsup.gif

And i am still waiting for refund

• 4 weeks later...

Thought do an update.

Refund was received 7 days later, though it was not a refund to my original purchase but a new refund,which means due to currency changes( i paid with foreign credit card) i lost about $12.

Anyhow, 10 days later, i received my welcome letter along with policy.

Here is a funny part, actually 2 parts

1. They had promotion where if you paid in one payment, you get 1000 baht fuel voucher, NO voucher with policy

2. I had purchased policy on the 6th, Customer service swore my policy was effective from the 6th, only the policy i had received from Falcon started from the 10th.

SO if i was to let it go, and have an accident before the 10th, in fact i was not covered.

Now i also realize i cancelled the policy so no petrol voucher, HOWEVER i cancelled the next day the 7th, policy was actually issued on the 10th(3 days after my cancellation) and posted to me, so voucher should have been included.

If assuming cancellation was received, so voucher is void, then why would the policy be issued on the 10th, and posted out?.

Not too sure if i would feel safe if i had to lodge a claim with this company.

PS, ended up getting policy from AXA, about 3500 baht more but at least i know i am safe, plus free road side assistance and towing.

• 2 months later...

I quoted them on c250 2014

Asked send me policy to read

They just send invoice with 3k on it and no details.

They said they use Falcon insurance hong kong.

They allow u pay monthly and no interest thats what they said.

I might pass then.

• 2 weeks later...

I quoted them on c250 2014

Asked send me policy to read

They just send invoice with 3k on it and no details.

They said they use Falcon insurance hong kong.

They allow u pay monthly and no interest thats what they said.

I might pass then.

They call me back and said they cant afford to insure my 1 year old benz c250.

I insured with varyiah for 100% sort of.

Replacement car and such.

I recommend Varyiah

• 8 months later...

The company also does not give cover to anybody over 70. On the plus side they have been very efficient dealing with me taking out the policy and also on renewing them. No claim yet though.

I used this firm found them to be great, between arranging insurance with them and the 1st year free toyota insurance expiring I had an accident, they said no problem and I could keep my No claims discount. I also increased bail bond at very little cost and for about 2000 baht opted for "own repair shop" so that in future car would not be stuck in thier nominated repair shop for 6 weeks like it was under the 1st year policy repair job. Ive never claimed with this Falcon insurance though so that may be a different story.

Archived