Gen Prayut Tells Fortune Teller to Stop Predicting His Future

Jacob Maslow

I bet she didn't predict that one coming!! Charlatans the lot of them!!

Indeed they are. It's somewhat worrying that the man in charge of this Country who has given himself absolute power believes in them.

Then on the other hand the leader of the most powerful country on Earth wouldn't have a snowballs chance of being elected President unless he professed to be a member of an organisation that believes in a non existant being in the sky.

As do most Thais..... It is in their natures.

Many Europeans also believe in silly superstitions - break a mirror, touch wood, astrological forecasts etc.

The fortune teller would not need to be clairvoyant to foresee the touchy general's response. Article 44 should have given him some indication. Most leaders would just laugh it off.

IMO it is a wise decision of the PM's. Look at all the adverse comments made by members about the PM's alleged interest and potential guidance from this prediction.

"prophesying that the junta leader would stay in power for three years"

Well, he is right. Prayut took power in 2014 and will hand it back in 2016. That is 3 years.

Someone failed kindergarten maths. Let's simplify it for you. 6 - 4 = ?

Or maybe you graduated Thai high school and are now in charge of the Director generals finance dept

Not often I agree with Jamie but he's right. If you count 2014,2015 and 2016 as single years then it's 3 years.

I do the same when calculating says paid. If I arrive on the 26th of the month out of 30 days it's classed as 5 days pay, Jamie is counting the year of the Coup.

What you're doing is counting a calendar year from the date of the coup, which would be 2 years ?

Is there some other way of counting a year that most don't know about.

22 May 14 to 21 May 15 is 1 year

22 May 15 to 21 May16 is 2 years

22 May 16 to 21 May 17 is 3 years

If he intends to return to democracy in 2016, even if elections are the last week in December it is only 2 years and 7 months.

Your aguement about Callander years is flawed as if he took power on 30 December of say 2014, you would then count this as 1 year and if elections were held on 2 January 15 you would then count this as 2 years. I'm sorry but 4 days is not 2 years.

If your intention is that he had control in parts of 3 consecutive years being 14,15,16 this may be correct but it states "for 3 years".

Edited by Reigntax

It's not flawed, he's not talking about calendar years, but the definition of what 2014 is, doesn't matter if it's December the 30th 2014, it's still classed as the year 2014.

I don't understand how you are not seeing this.

For example my own situation I have been in The Middle East since 2004, it's now 2015 that makes it 11 years and after tomorrow I'm entering my 12th year of of being here, even if I go over the 11 Calendar years by one day, it makes it 12 years despite if they way you look at it, 2004-2015 equals only 11 years?

Your talking about dates to specific dates to make a year. When Jamie is using 2014 as the starting point, and not the actually date of the coup itself.

I can see where he's coming from, and I agree with his way of looking at it.

You're being pedantic for nothing really ?

It's not flawed, he's not talking about calendar years, but the definition of what 2014 is, doesn't matter if it's December the 30th 2014, it's still classed as the year 2014.

For example my own situation I have been in The Middle East since 2004, it's now 2015 that makes it 11 years and after tomorrow I'm entering my 12th year of of being here, even if I go over the 11 Calendar years by one day, it makes it 12 years despite if they way you look at it, 2004-2015 equals only 11 years?

Your talking about dates to specific dates to make a year. When Jamie is using 2014 as the starting point, and not the actually date of the coup itself.

So based on your theory of time calculations, if you entered the Middle East on 30 Dec 14 and left on 2 Jan 15, you were in the Middle East for 2 years. Sorry but you were there for just 4 days.

If you employ a person to start work on 1 Dec14 and they leave your employ on 31 Jan 15, they did not work for you for 2 years. They worked 2 months. I'm also sure you would not pay them 2 years salary. You would pay them 2 months salary.

Using your same theory, everybody is born 1 year old, one hour would be a full day, one day is a full year.

Unfortunately the world works slightly different and luckily so does mathematics.

There is no subjective interpretation of mathematics, numerals, calculations, time and space. It is an exact science. It is either exactly right, can be expressed as an approximate value or is wrong. Nothing else!

Yes, you may be entering your 12th year, you may have been there during 12 Callender years but you have been there 11 years and 1 day or approximately 11 years.

Edited by Reigntax

So based on your theory of time calculations, if you entered the Middle East on 30 Dec 14 and left on 2 Jan 15, you were in the Middle East for 2 years. Sorry but you were there for just 4 days.

If you employ a person to start work on 1 Dec14 and they leave your employ on 31 Jan 15, they did not work for you for 2 years. They worked 2 months. I'm also sure you would not pay them 2 years salary. You would pay them 2 months salary.

Using your same theory, everybody is born 1 year old, one hour would be a full day, one day is a full year.

Unfortunately the world works slightly different and luckily so does mathematics.

There is no subjective interpretation of mathematics, numerals, calculations, time and space. It is an exact science. It is either exactly right, can be expressed as an approximate value or is wrong. Nothing else!

Yes, you may be entering your 12th year, you may have been there during 12 Callender years but you have been there 11 years and 1 day or approximately 11 years.

Ah but I never gave a date in 2004 ? tell me something when someone asks you how long have you been working in this job, do you say since whatever year it was or do you give a specific date and time frame?

When someone asks me I say since 2004 , I don't say since April 2004, I don't know why your really trying to make a big issue out of this to be honest ?

1.2014 is a year one

2.2015 is a year two

3.2016 is a year three

I will always keep using what I've always done, as I said I know that's the same way Jamie did, i understood where he was getting the 3 years from. Im sure others understood it too.

Sorry it seems to have got you in a right state. I don't really see what the big deal is anyway. Callander year or figuratively speaking makes no odds as there won't be elections before next year ? now when I say next year are you looking at it 365 days from this date? Or sometime in 2016, based mathematics being precise ?

I guess you didn't look at his post from a non mathematical point of view, I did ?

Did he not tell people a long time ago elections will be held in 2016, so he has been in power 2014, 2015, and until elections 2016, there is the 3 year prediction, a fool could predict that, and he gets good money to tell people about their imaginary friemds

How come the fortune teller didn't predict the order from the General?

Sounds like someone's knuckles are dragging on the ground?

That's right Chris, if the fortune teller was worth his/her salt the fortune would not have been told, the PM would not have got pissed off and we would not be commenting on this inane topic. thumbsup.gif

Ah but I never gave a date in 2004 ? tell me something when someone asks you how long have you been working in this job, do you say since whatever year it was or do you give a specific date and time frame?

When someone asks me I say since 2004 , I don't say since April 2004, I don't know why your really trying to make a big issue out of this to be honest ?

1.2014 is a year one

2.2015 is a year two

3.2016 is a year three

I will always keep using what I've always done, as I said I know that's the same way Jamie did, i understood where he was getting the 3 years from. Im sure others understood it too.

Sorry it seems to have got you in a right state. I don't really see what the big deal is anyway. Callander year or figuratively speaking makes no odds as there won't be elections before next year ? now when I say next year are you looking at it 365 days from this date? Or sometime in 2016, based mathematics being precise ?

I guess you didn't look at his post from a non mathematical point of view, I did ?

So according to how you interpret his tenure as PM, it has already been 2 years, 2014 and 2015. Given that he took control on 22 May 14 which is 10.5 months ago, it becomes a paradox of inaccuracy and mis representation because he has not had control for even 1 year, let alone 2.

However, he has been in control for part of 2 defined yearly periods, the total of which is 10.5 months or took control almost 1 year ago.

You re right, it doesn't matter but it clearly mattered to the PM because he interpreted the prediction as contradicting his promise of return to democracy in 2016.