3 Year Old Ford Ranger 4x4 4 Door

geoffphuket

A friend of my wife has just offered us the chance of buying a 3 year old Blue Ford Ranger 4x4 4 door truck with carryboy for just 250,000 Baht.

It sounds too good to be true, but I've no idea what they're like. Any TV member know what to look out for in the way of faults on one of this age?..... I'll probably be going to check it out tomorrow. I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on what condition it's in.

Any advice welcome,

Cheers,

geoffphuket

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab with a 2.5 turbo diesel engine that is 4 1/2 years old but no carry boy.

I have had it regularly serviced and it had done about 137,000km and I have had only a couple of problems in that time. The most serious was a steering problem that caused the n/s/f tyre to wear badly and that was fixed under warranty and the original remote alarm and the 3 following ones lasted less than 18 months, but they were not original Ford items.

Somebody stole the spare wheel and tyre so I bought a lock when I replaced it. I ordered a spare wheel and that is what I got, then of course I had to buy a tyre. TIT.

I changed 4 tyres at around 120,000 km and there was still a bit of tread left.

I get around 9 km/ltr overall.

I wish I could afford a new one as there is now a 3 litre turbo diesel with an auto gearbox but it is top of the range and around 900,000 baht.

My wife wants a people carrier next like the Kia Carens.

I have a Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab with a 2.5 turbo diesel engine that is 4 1/2 years old but no carry boy.

I have had it regularly serviced and it had done about 137,000km and I have had only a couple of problems in that time. The most serious was a steering problem that caused the n/s/f tyre to wear badly and that was fixed under warranty and the original remote alarm and the 3 following ones lasted less than 18 months, but they were not original Ford items.

Somebody stole the spare wheel and tyre so I bought a lock when I replaced it. I ordered a spare wheel and that is what I got, then of course I had to buy a tyre. TIT.

I changed 4 tyres at around 120,000 km and there was still a bit of tread left.

I get around 9 km/ltr overall.

I wish I could afford a new one as there is now a 3 litre turbo diesel with an auto gearbox but it is top of the range and around 900,000 baht.

My wife wants a people carrier next like the Kia Carens.

I am more than happy with it and if I could I would buy another.

Thanks billd766

Not sure if the 9kl/ltr sounds good. The problem is that I'd made my mind up to buy a new Honda Jazz. I don't really need a truck, so there's going to have to be a very good reason for me to change my mind. I think the Jazz would have better economy than this....yes, no, anyone? On the other hand, I think I'm being offered it very cheap. Decisions, decisions :o

I was always a truck owner in the US ... have a mechanic that YOU know check it out ..

Particularly look to see if it was ever hit from behind. Ford trucks are just never right again after that.

Good advice. I'm going to have a very close look for accident damage. I've never driven a vehicle yet that seems 100% afer a good bump

Cheers

What else can you buy for that money? There are lots of choiced in the second hand market. Perhaps you can find Jazz at that price, too.

Hmmm...I'd not been looking at second hand Jazz. This deal's just been thrown at me tonight. Difficult to know what to do. I don't really want to end up with something I don't need or like. I guess I'll have a better idea after I've seen it tomorrow - probably a heap :o

how was the truck?

Hi Jd

I'm still waiting to see it. My wife's just phoned them and it turns out they've gone for a day out in it - TO SAMUI !! ....I'm thinking this truck's probably been to the moon and back kl wise :o .

I'm being told tomorrow now....watch this space

Cheers

geoffphuket

Ok, so here it is. Turns out not to be a 4x4, which doesn't surprise me :o Has 167K on the clock and it's in good condition apart from a few stone chips on the bonnet (hood) which have gone rusty lifting the paint a little - a minor point easily rectified. Everything seems to work and it drives very nice - no pulling to one side with hands off and the wheel straight. I'm told it's had no accidents - and there's no evidence of a repair. Got a carry boy, liner and roof rack, 12 months tax and 1st class insurance - so I believe. Altogether worth the asking price I think...I'm just not sure if it's what I want :D

post-30543-1157349325_thumb.jpg

post-30543-1157349411_thumb.jpg

post-30543-1157349463_thumb.jpg

post-30543-1157349499_thumb.jpg

This is no Jazz

167k in three years???? Forget it. Maybe they are looking for someone too nice to refuse and found you.

Hmm.. I thought it was a bit high for 3 years, but nothing really for a diesel. I'm probably not going to buy it because it's not really what I'm looking for.... that said I'm not 100% convinced either way yet. It's interesting to see other members opinions.

Thanks for the reply

geoffphuket

Go for the Jazz. No headaches. Peace of mind for the next three years or so and sleep with a smile on your face.

Never driven a Ford, but I'm sure the Jazz is a lot more fun to drive.

Hmmm... tend to agree. I've never owned a truck before, I just need a cheap runabout to do the shopping and transport my 10 month old baby around Phuket in safety. The dilemma I’ve got is that the new jazz is going to have to wait for several months more…and this truck is affordable now

Thanks for the reply

geoffphuket

Ford is probably the worst of all pickups available of that age, and 167k is A LOT. I got only 80k in three years. What was it? A taxi?

If you don't really mind, then it's cheap, and it can get from A to B. But if you wanted Jazz....

Go for the Jazz. No headaches. Peace of mind for the next three years or so and sleep with a smile on your face.

Never driven a Ford, but I'm sure the Jazz is a lot more fun to drive.

Hmmm... tend to agree. I've never owned a truck before, I just need a cheap runabout to do the shopping and transport my 10 month old baby around Phuket in safety. The dilemma I’ve got is that the new jazz is going to have to wait for several months more…and this truck is affordable now

Thanks for the reply

geoffphuket

Sounds like you've made your mind up.

I've got a barge-pole that I won't be lending you to touch it!!

The details get worse...turns out it's now 4 years old and into it's 5th and I've found out that the high mileage is because it's been used by a marine repair company transporting parts long distance to and from Phuket - and driven by lots of diiferent employees at that.

Amazing how it's transformed itself from a one lady owner, 3 year old 4X4 bargain.

Do I still want it? ....err, let me think a nano second, NO

Thanks to everyone for their input - Not one of you said go for it... and I've listened :o

geoffphuket

The details get worse...turns out it's now 4 years old and into it's 5th and I've found out that the high mileage is because it's been used by a marine repair company transporting parts long distance to and from Phuket - and driven by lots of diiferent employees at that.

Amazing how it's transformed itself from a one lady owner, 3 year old 4X4 bargain.

Do I still want it? ....err, let me think a nano second, NO

Thanks to everyone for their input - Not one of you said go for it... and I've listened :o

It sounds to me as though it is a bit of a dog and not regularly serviced.

It reminds me of buying ex military vehicles, one careful owner, (the government) and 100 careless drivers.

Mine has about 135,000 on the clock but it is one owner from new and regularly serviced.

There has only been me, my wife, her brother and her Dad driving it. I used to use it for working sometimes and a lot of weekends I used to travel 800 km to home and back to BKK.

geoffphuket

Cheeky Farang

Who gave you permission to take that photo of my wife and her sister?

I can say that as she is upstairs and not looking over my shoulder.

post-11711-1157454427_thumb.jpg