Mystery item #147 - what the heck is it?

attrayant

I'm taking advantage of my time at home to de-clutter part of the house while the inlaws are out on the countryside. In that vein I present today's episode of What the Heck Is It? Item #147: mystery steel rack contraption:

post-140919-0-87150200-1428469391_thumb.

Anyone want to have a guess? It has been sitting in the kitchen, implication being it's used to store or hold something. But I can think of nothing kitchen-like that would fit. The family has been resting things on top of it, but not really in it. Cup holder? Nope:

post-140919-0-10978000-1428469497_thumb.

Plate holder? Impossible. Even the tiniest of saucers won't fit:

post-140919-0-60421100-1428469556_thumb.

(That saucer is 14 cm in diameter)

The openings seem to be about the right size to hold VHS cassettes if stored on their ends, but I don't have one to test it.

The two black rods at the bottom of each V-shaped section are rollers, suggesting that whatever was meant to be contained might need to rotate or slide left-to-right. Judging by its mass, it must be solid steel and is not flimsy at all. It was clearly made to hold many heavy things securely.

Edited by attrayant

It appears to be a parts basket for an in-line, automated liquid-processing system - for cleaning, or coating a rack of parts. You can get an idea fro this video:

http://youtu.be/OCuxXuOqeKU

Where do I go to file I claim for my lost 3 min 26 sec? I kept waiting for a basket that looks remotely like the OP's to make so much as a a cameo appearance. I used to produce industrial videos W-A-Y more fascinating than this dog. Unfortunately, it was before the age of the internet or else I could tempt you with such winners as "the perfect flange face for plastic-lined pipe"

For glasses in an restaurant dish washer - perhaps .

Although ones we have used in our restaurants are placed in their own storage crate first so there is no double handling.