Printer - Scanner Combinations

astral

I need a new printer and a new scanner.

The shops all recommend the combined units, with prices starting around 3000 baht.

Does any one have recommendations or lemons to be avoided?

I want a reasonable unit that will not break the day after the guarantee expires.

The load for printing and scanning is quite light, only a few pages each month.

Thanks

Never had a problem with Canon. :o

I agree, it's hard to go wrong with a Canon. I have a compact printer that works great and has infrared. I decided that I don't need a scanner. I use my Sony digital camera with Paint Shop Pro and you can't tell the printed copy from a scanned copy.

I think the going wisdom is that buying separates will usually result in a better quality scan and a better quality print. Some people say that the reliability also goes up with separates, either because they put better parts in or because at least you only have to replace one function if it fails in a separate.

But I guess it really depends what kind of workload (not just how much)? We went on the expensive side for a home printer, with an HP 7140 all-in-one. Duplex scanning and printing with max US legal size scans. Standalone photocopy and fax machine. I think it cost close to 30k THB. It has an ethernet card that makes it easy to share among multiple computers, any of which may be on or off at a certain time, including Linux computers.

We've been happy with it for "office work" and visa/work permit documentation. In other words, mostly standalone photo-copying and lots of paperwork scanned for posterity. I think in two years we've replaced the ink twice and run only 2 or 3 reams of plain paper through it. I agree that ours is not ideal for photo printing, but for documents and copies, it works just fine.

Be carful with the new combinations especially if inkjet color printers. The ink will kill you. That is why the printers are so cheap.

I bought a Xerox color laser printer and a HP Scanner. The included one button software is great for making copies on the fly.

My thoughts are the more gadgets the more likely it is to go wrong.

OK, we use the printer on more havy way!

But if a Combi Machine, use a Epson. Two reasons: 1. the scanner is very fast and from exelent quality; 2. the Inkjet printer produces print-outs from superior quality. Epson uses a much better Ink than canon and is easy even to refill.

If you take a closer look you will find out that Epson printer are the best and mostly used for CD-printing and havy daily printing.

The Canon is may good enough for "little" home use but not for more than that. We replaced all our Canon printer within a very short time.

Lexmark also are very good printer, even as Combi! The disadvantage of the Lexmark are the cost of the Catridges: to expensive.

As Laser we using Lexmark and for FAX/Printer/Scanner combi as well.

But again: Epson has the best and fastest Scanner and the best Inkjet printer for havy use.

Actually, heavy usage or not depends on what model you buy. I know that several cd-printing shops use Canons, and they print a *LOT* every day. Epsons used to be the choice of pro photographers, but Canon has caught up and now has pro-level printers that equal or rival Epson's.

But, again, the more gadgets, the more that's likely to fail. They're cheap, but there's a reason that they're cheap.

Actually, heavy usage or not depends on what model you buy. I know that several cd-printing shops use Canons, and they print a *LOT* every day. Epsons used to be the choice of pro photographers, but Canon has caught up and now has pro-level printers that equal or rival Epson's.

But, again, the more gadgets, the more that's likely to fail. They're cheap, but there's a reason that they're cheap.

Firefoxx,

if you ask the people who service the printers, you'll find out that the Canon are "Printhead Eater" and that is exactly what was happens in my own company and by our costumers also. Never a Canon again for us.

OK, the ink for the Canon is more cheap than for the Epson but even here, the Epson ink has a much better color while the Canon ink is the very normal "water" color. Printings from the Epson still in very intensiv colors after 2 1/2 year while from our last Canon after 1 1/2 year the mostly color was gone! Both of them on stickers on same location!

For us is Canon out of any question ever to buy again.

Edited by Reimar

Well, as people say, milelage may vary. The sentiment that I've heard is actually mostly against Epson and for Canon, and this is from the consumers, not the service center. And again, it depends on the model. But really, I don't want to start yet another "brand x vs brand y" war, it's just that experiences differ. I'll leave it at that.