Any Advice On Buying Land

..He is normally a very careful guy and doesnt do anything on a spur i am totally taken aback by him with all this ,,,He just seems like a completely different person since coming back last time ...I dont know whats wrong with him !!! :D

Thailand fever. Mainly Thai women, who will make a middle aged western male (with a few quid in his pocket) feel like a teenage Superman again... anything is possible and nothing bad can happen because he's a big boy and knows all the scams already (uh-huh :o ).

Big wake up call coming somewhere down the line... get ready to help pick up the pieces (or not) when the inevitable happens.

UPDATE

Have just came off the phone to my son as far as he is aware his dad has already paid the $32,000 deposit on the land and has to pay another $90,000 I asked if it has all been checked out etc ..He said has what been checked out i said the land ..He said i dont know as the seller is waiting for the title deeds ...Anyways as much as i can make out he done/doing it through a company set up ..With 35% shares to him and 65% thai..The property company told him doing it that way will ensure he keeps the land and everything will work out perfect as the less shares he goes for the better ...So looks likes its all too late ..Hope everything works out for him !!! Fell out with my son now too as he said its impossible to lose any money on it !!.I have done my best trying

I'm hoping for the best but fear the worst. Any idea how much land he is 'buying' for the $120,000?

I just picked up 5.5 rai in a good location for 460,000 baht but I had to wait nearly 6 months until a good deal came along. Beach property of course higher but $120,000 USD is A LOT OF MONEY in Thialand.

Maybe he'll get lucky and everything is on the up and up; frankly I'd be surprised.

At this point you have done all you can; if things go bad don't lose any sleep over it.

Edit: BTW, the deposit amount seems WAY TOO HIGH IMO. Something smells there as well.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

Lol, he has already paid the deposit, but the seller is waiting for the title deeds ??

No wonder agents in this country make good money, if a sucker knocks on your door, are you going to hunt him away.

What comes forst the chicken or the egg.

LDB....the 5 rai, I gather for that price it does not have sea views ? Is there anything interesting about it, or just plain simple roadside land, once upon a time a coconut grove maybe.

Dont know if he has the title deads now ..( but from what i can gather half the time there not worth the paper there written on ) my son tells me ..Only what they want to tell me in this case ..I really wouldnt have thought he was that silly ..Hes got a good going business here in the uk ..Makes good money and has a right business head on his shoulders ..Hes not a throw away with money ..Well not normally anyways ..Hoping my son is wrong and he comes back with the money but we shall see!!

..He is normally a very careful guy and doesnt do anything on a spur i am totally taken aback by him with all this ,,,He just seems like a completely different person since coming back last time ...I dont know whats wrong with him !!! :D

Thailand fever. Mainly Thai women, who will make a middle aged western male (with a few quid in his pocket) feel like a teenage Superman again... anything is possible and nothing bad can happen because he's a big boy and knows all the scams already (uh-huh :o ).

Big wake up call coming somewhere down the line... get ready to help pick up the pieces (or not) when the inevitable happens.

Hi,

I agree with the quote above...big wake up call coming.I did the same as your ex but pulled out of the deposit and just lost a small 2k since I was not sure about the position regarding ownership.

The money side problem is his responsibility and although you care really you cannot influence how he spends it.If he comes back poor thats his decision, what about if he makes a go of it, any many people have found what they want in Thailand.

Your worry should be for your sons and your husband should appreciate the problems, they are old enough and you should encourage them to vist him and try and understand what he is going through.Half terms coming up so thats a good time.

Don't make him out to be the stupid vilian , you will just make it more difficult for you and the boys.

( whats on offer to him is 100% different to anything he has witnessed, seen or done before)

he has to go through with it and learn.

I have a son age 17yrs and have been divourced for 6 years he have been most places around the world with me and last year Thailand... Pattaya....Phuket, Samui ...we play golf together and have a great time together ....OK the lead is held short on what he does some nights but I hope I can trust him now.

I was supprised this year when he said why he was not cominf with me again, I had thought that holidaying with his friends would be better , but no next time I go golfing he wants to come along.

You have 3 boys who will all look after each other, get them out there, fowarned (a good book Private Dancer in their hands) and let them develop.

PS Get yourself out , sat at home worrying about what you ex doing when really you cannot do anything to change it will not solve anything..life goes on........so don't stand still..

For your own good, get on with your own life.

Interfering in the choices your ex husband is making is not helping him, it is not helping you and it is clearly driving a wedge between you and your sons.

Refocus on what matters - Maintaining a relationship with your children and protecting your own wealth.

The issue I see that needs attention is giving your sons the advice they need to ensure they don't get hooked up in their father's dreams.

It is a certainty that in the not too distant future your ex is going to get himself a local Thai g/f wife, it is extremely likely that he'll wind up havig a second family - I will be amaized if these things do not happen.

l'd concetrate on getting your sons to get their own lives sorted, education, work and careers. You'll not do that while you are tugging it out with their father.

He's heading for a fall, or at least has left himself open for one.

1.) You never ever pay more than a very small holding deposit before you recieve a photocopy of the title deeds. I would only pay something if I was worried someone else would get the plot, and I knew checking at land office was just a formality. You then get a decent lawyer (Bangkok) to carry out the due dilligence at the land office, they check whether any money is owed to the bank, that it is Nor Sor Sam or Chanote and not a lower title. Also that the photocopy of the title deed you have been given matches the one in the land office, They will also check that it has access and that it doesn't have a registered lease at the land office or indeed other problems that without proffessional advice you could never find out. They will also check that the person selling to you is the same as whose name is on the title deed.

2.) It is not true that he is safer if he holds less of the company, the more he holds the safer he is providing it is not greater than the amount stipulated in Thai law. The smaller the share the easier other shareholders would then find it to get together and plan to sell and rip him off. He should hold 49%, 51% being owned by the Thai Shareholders. The more shares the Thai's hold the easier it is for him to be ripped off should he fall out with those shareholders.

3.) The deposit is too high, If it checks out ok at land office then you can pay a deposit (around 10%) and have a full sales agreement drawn up (this is very important), the balance is paid on transfer of the title deed at the land office, after the transfer has been made.

It seems he has been too trusting of others, if they aren't out to rip him off, or if he doesn't fall out with them and the land is ok he will be alright, but the way this is being done is suspicious, and without doubt alarm bells are ringing.

It may well be that the land is cool, the seller is a bit greedy and wants a large deposit, maybe your husband has fallen for the hard sale from the agent who wants a big deposit as it means more cash upfront for him. It may be that it is all above board, but by doing things in this way he is taking risks, big risks that could be used by others to take advantage should they wish to do so.

Edited by womble

Lol, he has already paid the deposit, but the seller is waiting for the title deeds ??

No wonder agents in this country make good money, if a sucker knocks on your door, are you going to hunt him away.

What comes forst the chicken or the egg.

LDB....the 5 rai, I gather for that price it does not have sea views ? Is there anything interesting about it, or just plain simple roadside land, once upon a time a coconut grove maybe.

Nothing especially interesting except price; roughly 20-30% for the area. Guy was about to lose his Toyota pickup and needed quick cash.

I only put 3,000 baht down. Low down payments the norm here. Paid the balance 3 days later.

well here we go again how many more people have to be done be stupid or loose their brains in their trousers - you cant own land simple

ive lived here 5 years or so come here for 15 my thai wife owns land i dont my child can own land i cant i own condos i can i trust my wife - ops silly me

but sorry this is just daft silly stupid whats wrong with people - dont put in here what you cant afford to loose get it its said over and over again - im fairly well off have about 20 million baht here in property mine my wifes my childs have more than double that abroad in my name and my thai wifes i tihnk i know risks

dont do it

i despair about how naive some people are and yes my wife will throw away key soon and then I can get a younger one :o

sorry a footnote ive just read rgw thread sorry hes a lost cause hel_l loose it all and learn

dont even tihnk you can do anytihng about it Thialand fevor is right

sad but true theirs a 0.1 % chancei n my experiance hel_l be ok

Sorry it makes me a bit sick seeing all these idiots falling for it over and over again

And yes ive fallen for it but over 5 years - whats point hes lost it

Geton with your life as others have said - hope he does not ruin himself over it

Well i have not heard anything from him but think hes done the deed as in handing over his cash ..My sons baby was born today ..My oldest son let my husband know when he phoned from thailand this morning and he hasnt even had the decency to phone my son and congratulate him or anything....He deserves all he gets ..His mind is obvioulsy in a better place....Thanks for all the advice from everybody ...Im out of it much to my hurt and dismay .... :o