What Do I Need ?

Gary A

I use Ipstar for my desktop computer and would like to access the Ipstar with a WiFi laptop.

Hello Gary,

Need details re your Desk Top's connection to Ipstar. Also details of the Lap top's wi fi.

In the mean time check :-

http://www.bizrate.com/bridges_routers/pid...onnections.html

suandaao

The desktop gets a signal through an RJ45 direct from the Ipstar box. Here's the info for the laptop;

Bluetooth • Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card • Infrared Port • Integrated Wireless LAN

Data Link Protocol Bluetooth • Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet • IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g

If I use a router like shown on that site, do I need to have something for the desktop or can I still plug Ipstar directly into the RJ45 on the desktop?

I use Ipstar for my desktop computer and would like to access the Ipstar with a WiFi laptop.

Hello Gary,

Need details re your Desk Top's connection to Ipstar. Also details of the Lap top's wi fi.

In the mean time check :-

http://www.bizrate.com/bridges_routers/pid...onnections.html

suandaao

The desktop gets a signal through an RJ45 direct from the Ipstar box. Here's the info for the laptop;

Bluetooth • Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card • Infrared Port • Integrated Wireless LAN

Data Link Protocol Bluetooth • Ethernet • Fast Ethernet • Gigabit Ethernet • IEEE 802.11b • IEEE 802.11g

If I use a router like shown on that site, do I need to have something for the desktop or can I still plug Ipstar directly into the RJ45 on the desktop?

You can connect the Ipstar RJ45 into a wireless router; then connect the router with RJ45 or wifi into the PC and the laptop. I got my fiber optics broadband connected to 2 wireless routers, which in turn are connected to 4 PCs, a laptop, and a VOIP. One PC is on the wifi, others are hardwired to the router via RJ45. You may have to go to the router manufacturer website to get details.

I have used a wireless router with IPStar for 3, 1/2 years now.

The current router I use is a SMC 2804WBR model - which I installed a year ago after my previous SMC wireless router (which I brought from the UK gave up to the Thai electrical System!)

It’s a Barricade model with an excellent firewall.

I have used the SMC wireless products for 6 years now - Before on TELEWEST Cable Internet in the UK and would not recommend anything else.

The support in the UK (& Europe) (not had to find out in Thailand) is excellent - they sent out a replacement model to me before having the original back, after my cat knocked the router off a shelf!)

I bought the SMC 2804WBR in Pantip last year - It was about 6000 baht then but will be cheaper now.

It plugs directly into the IPStar consumer unit and then I have a PC wired to it directly and also a small shop network, (via a hub).

The wireless works very well and supports speeds up to 54 Mbs; I use both a laptop and a Palm wirelessly. (These are older devices and only connect at 11Mbs; however my daughter’s new ACER laptop and friend’s laptops can take advantage of the 54Mbs speed on the local network. So they can watch streaming films or TV from my server.

In all my time using SMC products I have NEVER had any security problems on either my own PC's or the Internet Cafe Network

SMC may be a little more expensive than other models (not much more) but I am very happy with their products - and I am a very fussy b*****d when it comes to IT equipment.

Thanks for the information. I have never had or used a router. I was happy to hear that the RJ45 from the Ipstar could plug into the router and then another RJ45 wire can go from the router to the desktop. I want the desktop hard wired and the laptop(s) to be able to use WiFi. :o

Doesn't the IPSTAR box include some extra LAN ports?

Just run a lan cable from the box to your laptop.

Faster and more reliable than Wireless.

My Ipstar box has a USB port and no other ports. I have no idea what I could plug into the USB.

My Ipstar box has a USB port and no other ports. I have no idea what I could plug into the USB.

you can set you desktop as a server/shared connection and either create a Cabled Lan or Wireless Lan, you can plug your laptop directly into you PC if it has a Lan/ethernet connection.

You will see an option in XP networks for allowing other computers to connect using "this" connection....share it.

Gary,

The standard Ipstar User Terminal has 2 female sockets , 1 is a RJ45 for the cable that connects

the Ipstar to a computer's RJ45 socket. The second is a USB socket , however it is a 1.1 - when you ideally need a USB 2.0

Suandaao

Gary,

The standard Ipstar User Terminal has 2 female sockets , 1 is a RJ45 for the cable that connects

the Ipstar to a computer's RJ45 socket. The second is a USB socket , however it is a 1.1 - when you ideally need a USB 2.0

Suandaao

I guess what I should have said is that the RJ45 is connected to my computer and the only UNUSED port is the USB.