great to see new rules for songkran

opalred

Then avoid those areas.

Can you really not manage a few days away from the expat bars?

I don't drink, I just live in those areas, eat at restaurants, shop, meet friends etc., there's a lot more to Sukhumvit and Silom than bars.

I live in Sukhumvit, and I've never found it hard to avoid the action if I want to.

I'm hurriedly trying to finish my open source design on a 3D printer to provide a cryogenically frozen clip to hold bullets made of ice water. Who wants to play water guns now punk?

But seriously, why not parks and gardens, and leave the arterial thoroughfares out of it?

• Like 1

I think the original poster is Thai, and if you read the Nation, there is a good article along the exact same lines that ran yesterday.

One year in Pattaya for Songkran -- won't do that again -- some twit of a Brit in a wetsuit shot klong water up my nose with one of those two-liters per shot PVC water weenies. I was sick for three days with a fever from the sinus infection it gave me. When I was feeling better, I dumped a six pack of Chang bottles in a garbage can and set it on the roof to ripen all day and night.

I dumped it on his head from the roof the next day, smiled, gave him the biird, and enjoyed a cold fresh one in the bar. I think he may have had to burn the wetsuit to get rid of the rank.

thumbsup.gif

What a hero, give him a medal.

Yes indeed times have changed. The younger groups really have a great time, older you are the less you enjoy it. So let the youngsters have their fun. As some of the posters said, at times it gets a little too wild and dangerous, I attribute that to lack of adult supervision.

Yes I am in the older category. Again I would like to say if they want this type of "fun" section off a part of the city say a couple large parks and charge them for the water they use (after all it is a precious commodity) then let em have at it. They can bother each other. This holiday is not like Christmas or other holidays it is a long invasive noisy grueling holiday. Even the word holiday is open to interpretation when comparing it to its original content. In the end everybody's feelings should be respected (what a highly overworked word in today's society)

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe just avoid the areas where the drunken farangs hang out for a few days, then?

Maybe just ban the drunken foreigners

• Like 1

Why not just accept it for what it is, and easy get stuck in and have fun, or simply put up with the mild inconvenience of having to avoid it for a few days each year?

I don't get why people moan about it so much. How can you not be charmed by a country that has a nationwide water fight every year? Your inner child must be long dead.

Strawman argument. Our position of debate is not that a nationwide water fight isn't fun - a safe one limited to people who were clearly participating, would indeed be fun.

That doesn't include motorcyclists on major roads having a bucket of water thrown in their face though, or soaking distraught elderly people who forget to dress appropriately.

A safer one would debatably see more people participating - leading to more happy inner child feelings! Chiang Mai has a reputation for being the best place to play Songkran, based on the people being more relaxed (including the farang), the roads are wider / less congestion, more green areas etc.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

Why not just accept it for what it is, and easy get stuck in and have fun, or simply put up with the mild inconvenience of having to avoid it for a few days each year?

I don't get why people moan about it so much. How can you not be charmed by a country that has a nationwide water fight every year? Your inner child must be long dead.

You obviously have a pushbike and not a motorbike. Have you no thought for those, Farangs and Thais who have to put up with these retards?

Both Farang and Thai have to use Motorbikes to get to work and yet you stick up for those water throwing morons who are responsible for putting their lives at risk.

I used to think you posts were getting better SoiBiker, and you were quite sensible, now that has gone out the window.

• Like 1

I'd have thought anybody who uses a motorbike to get to work ought to have sense enough to avoid the battlezones.

Obviously, bringing down motorcyclists on a major road would be stupid. Nobody's going to argue with that.

I agree with the OP the thais are not so over the top as much as the drunken farangs are,i remembr last year walking down soi 7 and every bar had a fricken load of farangs with those high powered water guns and yeah you get an earfull from one of them it does hurt,so hope the police will ban the use of these guns completly.

The bar owners have a responsibility to control these tosspots, but, as long as they get their bar full, they dont give a fig.High season and songkran are the only times the farang bar owners get to make some money from their empty bars

IF ONLY>???

Sir

I do not think for a second you believe that. Songkran is attracted to sex mongers who want to shoot ladies in breasts and below, also to have miss wet t shirt competitions.

Get the bs out the way and lets be honest, thats why farang sex mongers come

I agree with the OP the thais are not so over the top as much as the drunken farangs are,i remembr last year walking down soi 7 and every bar had a fricken load of farangs with those high powered water guns and yeah you get an earfull from one of them it does hurt,so hope the police will ban the use of these guns completly.

Are you staying in another Thailand than me???

DM07, on 10 Apr 2015 - 15:45, said:
Brit_Doggie, on 09 Apr 2015 - 19:48, said:

Are you staying in another Thailand than me???

If it's Pattaya or Phucket.....................then probably!

Total crap!

In the bars, it is the bar girls that start it and the farangs join in.

Most of my time in Thailand has been away from the tourist areas and I can assure you that the Thais are much more stupid than any farangs.

I have been driving along a main road on my motorbike and had buckets of water thrown at me by Thais, not a farang in sight.

I have had water launched at me from a pick-up travelling in the opposite direction on fast roads, Thai not farang.

I have stopped and asked them not to throw water at my crying daughter on the back of my motorbike and yet still had iced water thrown at us. That shit ended up in his blue barrel of iced water and is lucky that he didn't go in head first. Guess what! Thais, not farangs!

I have been travelling on a local bus, no aircon, no working fans and had water thrown through the open windows, people crying because they have been to the market and what they have bought has been damaged by the water. Yet again, no farangs present.

Don't blame farangs, they are not given a line where to stop when on holiday, they just follow the examples set by Thais.

• Like 2

I'd have thought anybody who uses a motorbike to get to work ought to have sense enough to avoid the battlezones.

Obviously, bringing down motorcyclists on a major road would be stupid. Nobody's going to argue with that.

Bringing down motorcyclists on any road is stupid. Only retards do that sort of thing.

Total crap!

In the bars, it is the bar girls that start it and the farangs join in.

Most of my time in Thailand has been away from the tourist areas and I can assure you that the Thais are much more stupid than any farangs.

I have been driving along a main road on my motorbike and had buckets of water thrown at me by Thais, not a farang in sight.

I have had water launched at me from a pick-up travelling in the opposite direction on fast roads, Thai not farang.

I have stopped and asked them not to throw water at my crying daughter on the back of my motorbike and yet still had iced water thrown at us. That shit ended up in his blue barrel of iced water and is lucky that he didn't go in head first. Guess what! Thais, not farangs!

I have been travelling on a local bus, no aircon, no working fans and had water thrown through the open windows, people crying because they have been to the market and what they have bought has been damaged by the water. Yet again, no farangs present.

Don't blame farangs, they are not given a line where to stop when on holiday, they just follow the examples set by Thais.

Good post, I think it's mostly tourist areas the Farang morons operate, while those Thai retards are doing it all over Thailand.

• Like 1

the main few changes

no strong water guns

no ice water

no drums in pickups

no 2piece girls to coverup

the main few if want to stay out of trouble as police have been told to crackdown on the idiots

The Police,you have to be joking,in my village i tell you what they do,set up a checkpoint at one end of the village until about 11am,last year i came past it ,several bottles of Sang som where evident,after 11am it was closed,no sign of any Police anywhere,after 2 days of this they even gave up with the checkpoint,presumably because they were all hung over,if you think they are going to do anything,apart for maybe in Bangkok,i think you are over optimistic..

• Like 1

But seriously, why not parks and gardens, and leave the arterial thoroughfares out of it?

Errr dude, I am not sure the very few Greens spaces and parks of Bangkok are the place to send the mobs. This is scarily of them to start and they would be damaged terribly.

A bit of common sense and parenting would mitigate a large number of this celebrations issues. But dangerous behaviour like water jets at the heads if bike riders is just one example of unacceptable conduct.

I brought it up with the locals at last address, and they hand not considered what they were doing as unsafe. And after a bit of yapping about what I said and a day of considering it I noted a dramatic drop in people doing it and those events were generally being policed by people camped around the place.

And I think it was just ultimately a win for the motorcycle taxis off the block that it got any support or attention.

This event can be conducted with greater safety with just some level heads and a bit of community action

Maybe just avoid the areas where the drunken farangs hang out for a few days, then?

So all of central Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya? Some us like to go out.

who is stopping you go out... have fun get stanky, nasty water in the face, yea go out have "fun" you need not ask twice gooooooo :-)

One of the posters said "anything goes".Does that mean I could carry and use a baseball bat? I am in Phnom Penh now where they simply wish each other a good year. I was a victim of a drunken Aussie/Brit ? throwing ice water on me as I was riding a motorbike not on a bar lined soi. That was my first Songkran. After the audience laughter died down because I couldn't find anything to hit him I needed help to pick up the bike because my foot was injured and the drunken perpetrator went on to another victim. I had to pay for the damaged rental bike and the clinic to clean and bandage my foot. Shouldn't the bar Sois by blocked of traffic and let the drunken AH's beat the crap out of each other and have a good time? IMHO everyone would be happy in that scenario. If on the day after Songkran a drunk continues to be obnoxious do I get to use the ball bat? What's the law on that?

It's hardly moaning when people get shot, there were fatal shootings in Pattaya in recent years. Also there it goes on 24/7 for a week, compared to a few days stopping after nightfall. Totally stupid.

And thrusting entire buckets in the face of passing motorcyclists.

It isn't just farang though.

I have witnessed a young Thai man being chased along a water canal with nose to tail traffic on both sides of the waterway. He was pushed in by four others and when he tried to lift himself out of the water he was clubbed unconscious. Floating face down and obviously unconscious his attackers continued to beat him around the head with some wooden poles. This occurred at 13:30 hours on the 2nd day of Song Kran, three years ago. I did not see any farangs about these pr**s were Thai. This occurred deep in the countryside with hundreds of Thais watching and nobody went to the young man's assistance

?THAINESS?

I have seen farangs enjoying themselves in a boisterous and jokey way; have never seen malice,vindictiveness or violence..

Don't blame farangs just because they stand out from the crowd of locals.

Edited by fgmr

fgmr, on 13 Apr 2015 - 00:11, said:

I have witnessed a young Thai man being chased along a water canal with nose to tail traffic on both sides of the waterway. He was pushed in by four others and when he tried to lift himself out of the water he was clubbed unconscious. Floating face down and obviously unconscious his attackers continued to beat him around the head with some wooden poles. This occurred at 13:30 hours on the 2nd day of Song Kran, three years ago. I did not see any farangs about these pr**s were Thai. This occurred deep in the countryside with hundreds of Thais watching and nobody went to the young man's assistance

?THAINESS?

I have seen farangs enjoying themselves in a boisterous and jokey way; have never seen malice,vindictiveness or violence..

Don't blame farangs just because they stand out from the crowd of locals.

That would appear to be a separate personal incident and not an act related to Songkran.

I have witnessed ..................................................................... I did not see any farangs about these pr**s were Thai.......................................... with hundreds of Thais watching and nobody went to the young man's assistance

Obviously as a witness, that would include yourself that did not go to the young mans assistance.

? FARANGNESS ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the main few changes

no strong water guns

no ice water

no drums in pickups

no 2piece girls to coverup

the main few if want to stay out of trouble as police have been told to crackdown on the idiots

Were those rules nationwide or just for Pattaya?

If they were nationwide, then the message didn't make it as far as Phitsanulok, as none of those rules were observed today. That's eye witness.

We just had people enjoying themselves up here........................wink.png