Who else is glad they aren't in Thailand for Songkran?

bbbbooboo

Stocked up the drinks, refrigerator is full of snacks and the freezer contains sufficient food.... Songkran may come, but I will not leave my home. That's perfect for me

Fatfather

Pretty much the same, just need to top up the booze, just in case!

I wouldn't say he is burned out with Thailand; there is more to Thailand than that. I know lots of Thais who hate Songkran. Are they burned out with Thailand?

I loved Songkran in the relatively civilized Bangkok (no joke), but out in the lawless Isaan villages it isn't pleasant or fun at all.

Ah here comes the annual Songkran moan

"But but the bad Thai man threw the water on me during an annual water fight."

There is in fact a thing called a house which you can stay in during Songkran, if you have a car you can just stay at a mall all day, go shopping and watch films at the cinema.

Enjoy your time outside of Thailand though as I shall be having a great time come Monday afternoon with a water gun in one hand a beer in the other. It is indeed a "festival" most people are happy and have a great time together.

"But but the bad Thai man threw the water on me during an annual water fight."

Water?
On Koh Chang for the last number of years they have been throwing baby powder on people. Very nasty stuff to have in the lungs.
Friends there tell me last year they were throwing glasses full of powder into people's faces and car interiors. Then spraying with water from high-powered guns.
The refined lady who owns Anna Store always asked my permission. And I always agreed to allow her to dribble water over my head from a small silver cup.
That's what Songran is about.
  • Like 2

Stocked up the drinks, refrigerator is full of snacks and the freezer contains sufficient food.... Songkran may come, but I will not leave my home. That's perfect for me

Fatfather

Apologies upfront, but I too am from the 'Bah Humbug Brigade'

Once upon a time, in a Galaxy far far away, I used to find Songkran fun. That galaxy at least for me has exploded, and now I prefer to hole myself up for the duration. I will allow the wife to take me out for a quick trip around the village, then thats it.

Snacks, Netflix and since everyone will be out 'enjoying' the frivolities, the luxury of peace and quiet for a few days.

Bliss

I wouldn't say he is burned out with Thailand; there is more to Thailand than that. I know lots of Thais who hate Songkran. Are they burned out with Thailand?

I loved Songkran in the relatively civilized Bangkok (no joke), but out in the lawless Isaan villages it isn't pleasant or fun at all.

You gotta love the Isaan style of celebrating, riding on a motorbike thru small village and being stopped by a mob, water, baby powder and mandatory drinking, yeehaaa

You gotta love the Isaan style of celebrating, riding on a motorbike thru small village and being stopped by a mob, water, baby powder and mandatory drinking, yeehaaa

Let's not forget the violence, sexual harassment, and child go-go dancers. Who knows what else. All with impunity.

Songkran can be awful in rural Isaan.

Having said that, it is bad in Bangkok too with many of the massage parlors filling up with schoolgirls on their summer holidays.

Songkran is a time for nasty stuff. All who are not here are lucky. I hope to have a quiet time on a (hopefully) quiet beach with my family.

Let's not forget the violence, sexual harassment, and child go-go dancers. Who knows what else. All with impunity.

Having said that, it is bad in Bangkok too with many of the massage parlors filling up with schoolgirls on their summer holidays.

Songkran is a time for nasty stuff. All who are not here are lucky. I hope to have a quiet time on a (hopefully) quiet beach with my family.

Where on earth are you hanging out??

Where on earth are you hanging out??

Why on earth would you want to know? Pretty regular places, but at this time of year, you sometimes see unusual things.

Really miss it...last one I was at was two years ago....all the kids on the back of the ute with two 200l barrels and 6 or 7 big blocks of ice each day...love the shock look when the intended target gets hit with a bucket of ice water instead of warm. Khon Khen for day one and then Udon Thani for day two. Beers and extended thai family feast to finish each day and big Falang cooking the bacon and eggs and toast for breakfeast for everyone...real traditional for our family when in Thailand...sad to miss it two years in a row.

Heading to one in Auckland on Sunday but nowhere near the fun in Thailand

Edited by Roadman

you lucky man i am in cm and now stay home

last year drove to patong and stayed some weeks left to come home before songkran but had car trouble

so to get passed bangkok planned to go through at 2am should be little traffic stupid me the 4 lane a nighmare north

8hrs to travel 2ookms never leave house again at this time leave it to the other brainless frangs

For the entire time I've lived in my village I've hid in my house during Songkran.

But I just recently discovered that at the roadside checkpoints manned by the neighborhood kids they give you the option of having your car smeared with talcum powder paste or giving them money.

I plan to drive a circuit around my area stopping at the checkpoints and handing out small amounts of money to the kids. That way I feel like I've participated in the festivities at least a little bit.

In a way, I've kind of started thinking of Songkran as a Thai version of 'Trick or Treat.'

• Like 1

My soi know me, fourteen years in our home. The neighbours and family ,same as me, hate Songkran, apart from the sprinkling of water, clean, over hands. I will do as I always do and know that I am respected.

Edited by buhi