Police to check for DUI during Songkran

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – The Metropolitan Police Bureau has launched the campaign to enforce the ban on driving under the influence of alcohol around the capital during Songkran festival.

Motorists and passengers of public transportation would be targeted for Breathalyzer.

Police expect the campaign to help reducing Bangkok road accidents caused by drunk driving.

Police Colonel Yuthaphong Intharaphong said police would conduct breath tests for all drivers of outbound buses from Bangkok to various provinces from Thursday to Sunday.

Police checkpoints will locate at main bus terminals, including Ekkamai, Mor Chit and Sai Tai (south-bound). Checks will also include outbound trains.

Drivers of public services will have to undergo and pass breath tests before being allowed to drive.

Police will conduct selective tests for bus passengers who appear intoxicated.

Inebriated passengers will not be allowed to board the bus. They have to be sober before they can continue their trip. This is meant to reduce the complaints for nuisance caused on the bus.

If police suspect drug abuse, then they are authorised to ask certain passengers to undergo urine tests for illicit drugs.

The State Railway of Thailand and the Transport Company are co-sponsors for the police campaign.

Police have reminded Songkran revellers and motorists that breath tests will be conducted at popular venues for water splashing like Silom and Khao San roads.

Checkpoints for DUI would be set up at for motorists entering or leaving Silom areas.

The DUI offence is penalised by a jail term of up to one year and/or a fine from 5,000 baht to 20,000 baht. DUI motorists will also have their driving license suspended for at least six months.

And if found positive,what a 500b fine and on your way!

A bloke I know got done for drink driving. They tried to shake him down for 15k, his wife turned up and go it down to 10k. They took the money off him & then gave him his keys back to drive home (still brahms and liszt)!!

Nothing new, they were doing this at Pak Tong Chai last year, I was tested on the way in to the water zone and on the way out, with the Copper asking me" you drink whisky today?"

Can't stand the stuff, and was designated driver for the family they were all pissed up as was my son and his girlfriend, I felt left out 55555

Why not carry out the tests EVERYday?

What makes you think they don't do random breath tests daily? Are you omnipresent to be able to see every road check across the entire country?

I've seen random breath tests every time there's a tea money checkpoint just outside Kratoke in Korat, had 3 random ones in 3 years and 2 specific ones last year for songkran so they do do them.

Just because you don't see it happening don't assume it's not ?

Oh silly me. I read the opening post and it says that the tests will be held at outbound bus stations from Thursday to Sunday.

Have a nice day now.

Why not carry out the tests EVERYday?

What makes you think they don't do random breath tests daily? Are you omnipresent to be able to see every road check across the entire country?

I've seen random breath tests every time there's a tea money checkpoint just outside Kratoke in Korat, had 3 random ones in 3 years and 2 specific ones last year for songkran so they do do them.

Just because you don't see it happening don't assume it's not ?

Yes, they do them 'randomly' at the end of every month when the bills are due to come in, the mia noi has to get house keeping, wife needs house keeping also but gets less, boss needs to be paid for giving him the job, bar tab needs to be paid, mortgage for a huge f@@king house and two Fortuna pick-ups.

Yep, they are consistent.

• Like 1