Air Conditioner- modern portable

beau thai

Anyone have experience of these good or bad??

I am looking at one for 9900 baht , 9000 btu and 1.4kw. ; I have a wall unit in the bedroom, but the sitting room (about 26sq mt) gets way too hot just now.

The cost of this portable is almost as much as having a normal wall unit, so maybe that is a better option.

I hear mixed views about these but see many for sale so I wonder if they are actually a convenient, effective option?

Thoughts from direct experience welcome please.,

Don't mistake evaporative coolers for portable zircons. They look alike but are very different. The coolers are a waste of money as they only drop the air temperature by a couple of degrees but they pump humidity into the room. Honestly a smaller fixed aircon unit is the better choice. The portable ones need to be able to vent hot air outside via a large pipe and also need a collection bucket for condensed water.

• Like 2

Maybe a look at why "your sitting room gets so hot" is wise? If it's because of the sun hitting glass perhaps film would be an answer, perhaps it can be shaded externally with say, wood blinds?

I think it's helpful if you can determine the source of the heat, is it from above (attic space/inadequate attic ventilation), If direct radiated heat from sunlight then either film or glass replacement may resolve.

Good thought but it's 12th floor on a 19 floor condo.

No sun on glass today but 34c outside and 31c inside.

I use ceiling fans and floor fans but not enough.

I use curtains when the un comes on to the glass about 4pm.

Sympathies, multi-storey condo blocks are effectively storage heaters (been there at Floral for many years), the concrete absorbs and stores the heat for later release.

I can't advise further, sorry.

Thank you anyway.

Most of they year I enjoy that stored warmth but just sometimes it would be good to get it down to 27 or so,

I think I need to embrace the hassle of a wall installation really..........

• Like 1

Contrary to the above comments we have a portable mastercool unit. You see them in the big stores. We paid 6000bt last year and still same price.

We do use it supplementary to aircon because the aircon is insufficient.

The beauty of these machines they have a 20 litre water bucket to fill with water and you can set the machine to blow ice cold air out.

No humidity at all but maybe the fact we use it in conjunction with the aircon is a factor.

A myriad of settings and timers on it and the wattage is less than our cheapo hatari floor fan.

They have office service centre opposite global so if you have a problem they are on the doorstep.

• Like 1

Brommers is spot on. Does the machine vent its heat into the space its trying to cool? If so, forget about it.

At a guess the OP is on about the AJ portable aircon. There are a couple more brands knocking around. There is an exhaust on the back of the machine to which a flexible trunking can be attached which can then vent the heat outside through a convenient hole. This limits their portability and for my money I would look at why the current system doesn't work but if another unit is necessary then a fixed unit may be better.

Most of they year I enjoy that stored warmth but just sometimes it would be good to get it down to 27 or so,

My downstairs has been at 26-28 degrees during the day for the past week, no air conditioner. Open the windows at 8pm and close them at 8am. Upstairs is about 3 degrees warmer. A few more years and the trees will be up to shade much of the upstairs, fertilizer is much cheaper than electricity.

Edited by Dante99