Seven Dangerous Days: 25 dead in day one of Songkran road chaos

webfact

25 died in first day of the 7-day dangerous day

10-4-2558-13-28-58-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The so-called “Seven Dangerous Days of the Songkran festival” started yesterday April 9 with 324 road accidents killing 25 people.

Major causes of these fatal accidents, involving mostly motorcycles, remained to be drunk driving and speeding.

The Road Safety Directing Centre reported Friday that since the start of the campaign to reduce road accidents during the seven dangerous period (April 9-15), 25 people were killed and 348 were injured in a total of 324 accident cases on the first day of the campaign or on April 9.

It said major cause is drunk driving or 25.31%, followed by speeding, 24.38%.

Motorcycles are the vehicles engaged in most accidents or 80.77%.

Nakhon Si Thammarat province in the South recorded the highest road mishaps with 16 cases, while Krabi and Phetburi having the highest death toll of two each.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/25-died-in-first-day-of-the-7-day-dangerous-day

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-10

on average over 26,000 people are killed in road accidents in Thailand per year. Divide that by 365 days and that is over 71 people killed per day on average. So either these dangerous days numbers are complete BS or Songkran is the safest time of the year to be on the road. I will go with BS numbers.

Numbers are put out by TAT and they are BS.

• Like 2

The lunacy was apparent on our roads yesterday. Normally "average" Thai driving, here in the rice paddies of Udon Thani, has turned into heart stopping idiocy MAINLY with vehicles having Bangkok number plates.

Me, I'm in self confinement until the 17th.

Safe journeys Guys!

• Like 1

on average over 26,000 people are killed in road accidents in Thailand per year. Divide that by 365 days and that is over 71 people killed per day on average. So either these dangerous days numbers are complete BS or Songkran is the safest time of the year to be on the road. I will go with BS numbers.

Why would you think they would be BS? If you stop to think about it, the two major holidays in Thailand, Songkran and New Year's, are the only times that there is any consistent traffic enforcement of the year, so it would make sense they would be the safest times. Plus once everybody gets to their destination, there is little traffic until they return.

The official road toll is taken from the scene of the accident

If you make it to hospital then die You are NOT a road toll statistic facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Well, I tink your numbers need one more good check.

Road fatalities in Thailand per year are only half of what you claim, approx. 12.000 - 13.000

If you really think Songkran is the safest time of the year, why dont you make a trip from say Khon Kaen via Kalasin, Yasothon to Ubon Ratchathani for example?

Should be fun !!!

I can guarantee you that you will see more than one deadly accident during that one single trip.

I believe that it makes no sense and serves no purpose to make a comment like you did.

• Like 2

Road fatalities in Thailand per year are only half of what you claim, approx. 12.000 - 13.000

got proof of that luckyman.... recent proof that is, not the wikipedia page which only counts up to 2006.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

If you really think Songkran is the safest time of the year, why dont you make a trip from say Khon Kaen via Kalasin, Yasothon to Ubon Ratchathani for example?

Should be fun !!!

I can guarantee you that you will see more than one deadly accident during that one single trip.

I believe that it makes no sense and serves no purpose to make a comment like you did.

26000 according to this Thai Govt Minister.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

• Like 1

I just drove back from Bang Saray to Jomtien and had the same number of near-death experiences as usual.....averaging one incident per kilometre. So I'd say the holiday carnage hasn't really started yet. coffee1.gif

Yep, I much agree with "one incident per kilometre"

I drive my 4 year young to school every day, 4x10km and one inciedent per km is about right.

Sad isn't?

Lunatic drivers sad.png