Soaked passengers, water guns banned from subway

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Soaked passengers and those who appear drunk or carry loaded water guns are prohibited from using the subway service, the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) announced Saturday.

To avoid other passengers from being disturbed, the MRT will provide towels at all stations for soaked passengers to dry themselves after they have joined Songkran water splashing fun, the MRT announced.

They need to use the towels to dry themselves and remove powder before they will be allowed to enter the stations to use the subway.

Those who carry water guns with water will be required to empty the guns first.

The MRT added that drunk people will not be allowed to enter the stations at all.

The MRT expects a lot of passengers during the long holidays from Saturday to Wednesday as well as on the next Thursday, Friday and Saturday so it will have all the 19 trains run in full capacity with three minutes interval during the period.

It announced that security officers have been deployed to keep security around the subway stations on around the clock basis.

Security will especially beefed up around the Hua Lampong, Silom, Sukhumvit, Chatuchak, Kamphaeng Phet, and Bang Sue stations as these stations can be linked to other mass transport systems.

It said the MRT has sought cooperation from the Royal Thai Police to dispatch police dogs from the K-9 unit to help check suspicious items around the stations to ensure safety for passengers.

As a gift for the elderly, the MRT will also allow passengers, who are at least 60 years old, to ride the subway free of charge from April 13 to 15.

• Like 1

Pity the poor lowly security guard who tries to stop a drunk, wet Thai hi-so with a loaded water gun.

I'm sure the over 60 applies to foreigners as well - a year and a half ago, the staff at one MRT station told me I was eligible fo the elderly discount. (That blew out the bleeding ego :) :) :))

• Like 2

Pity the poor lowly security guard who tries to stop a drunk, wet Thai hi-so with a loaded water gun.

I'm sure the over 60 applies to foreigners as well - a year and a half ago, the staff at one MRT station told me I was eligible fo the elderly discount. (That blew out the bleeding ego smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png)

The last time I was down in BKK farangs got the elderly discount on the Subway but not on the Skytrain. They are 2 different companies and there is still no crossover tickets between them.

Free travel for the over 60's is only for Thai citizens!

I don't believe so. As a 60+ year old farang, I am able to travel on the MRT at half price, the same as Thais. Upon enquiring at my local MRT station, I am advised that this applies to ALL passengers 60 or older, but only the MRT not the BTS.

Edited by TigerandDog

has water throwing started yet, or tomorrow?

In some areas it has started. I was on the receiving end today in Lat Phrao. Surprisingly, although the Thais involved were smashed to the eyeballs, they were still respectful, and actually asked me if I was ok with getting wet and having powder put on my face. They were quite surprised that a farang was willing to participate before things officially commenced. Also if anybody passing them didn't want to get wet, they let them pass without any trouble.

I'm sure the over 60 applies to foreigners as well - a year and a half ago, the staff at one MRT station told me I was eligible fo the elderly discount. (That blew out the bleeding ego smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png)

I don't know if the free travel applies to foreigners, but the MRT does give the over 60 discount to everyone, unlike the BTS who operate a racist Thai-only policy. I did write to BTS asking how they justified the discrimination and - well, you know. They didn't reply because they couldn't justify it.

I don't know if the free travel applies to foreigners, but the MRT does give the over 60 discount to everyone, unlike the BTS who operate a racist Thai-only policy. I did write to BTS asking how they justified the discrimination and - well, you know. They didn't reply because they couldn't justify it.

They didn't reply because they couldn't stop laughing at the pathetic farang who actually went to the trouble to write to them ( if you really did that) whingeinging about not being able to save a bit of loose change for three days and who expected a non-state Thai company to justify one of their policies to him.

Edited by Sviss Geez

They didn't reply because they couldn't stop laughing at the pathetic farang who actually went to the trouble to write to them ( if you really did that) whingeinging about not being able to save a bit of loose change for three days and who expected a non-state Thai company to justify one of their policies to him.

So can we assume you are happy with racial discrimination in your home country also ?