Nan - a Quick Blast

seedy

I've heard great things about Nan. I'd like to take a trip up there myself; my wife's grandmother lives there and that would be a great excuse to get up in the hills if I can just find the time to go.

I'm coming from Bangkok so I'd probably want to break the ride up a bit. Do you think two days would be ok on a CBR300 riding with a pillion? Alternately, if I can get my wife's family to go at the same time so I can throw her in the car and ride solo, how long do you think it would take?

It would be cool if Seedy could give some more details (good places to stop, type of bike, whether or not he had a passenger etc.) or better yet pictures.

Either solo or two up, you wouldn't want to try and do it in a day as you won't be enjoying the ride. Starting from Bkk, overnight in either Phitsanulok or Sukhothai. The next day, you can hit the 1339 with the barge crossing.

There are quite a few proper ride reports with pictures on the forum already like this one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792695-simple-ride-report-of-northern-trip/

• Like 1

I see. Noted and understood.

Except that guys going round the world on C90's and all are not about the riding but the adventuring. One could go all around the world on foot, on a bicycle, public transportation or bikes - the possibilities are endless. I could (although I never will) walk the same route that seedy did to Nan and back. It would take me a darn sight longer of course and I'll probably expire of boredom before completion.

For some, the fun in biking is hitting the twisties (which is what North Thailand is all about). I would enjoy doing the MHS loop on my PCX; I would enjoy it 10 times more on my Versys / Ninja just because. I would hate riding to Korat from Bkk on my PCX (with a top speed of 110 kmh); I would hate it less on my Ninja because I can cover the distance in much less time.

Fundamentally, this is one of the problems with TV. There is a biking forum but it's too general. You have sportsbikes riders who gets their thrills at high speeds sharing the same space with riders who will not exceed 80 kph. This is a complete mismatch of course but due to a lack of alternative suitable (ie English) forums, lots of riders converged on here. Luckily, things have changed in the last couple of months. A couple of English speaking forums have sprouted up recently and the majority of the serious riders have migrated over. I still post here because there is still an abundance of knowledge to be gleaned.

ring, ring, its 04:54 am, troll alarm... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

How is this a troll post? he makes some very good points.

Except that guys going round the world on C90's and all are not about the riding but the adventuring. One could go all around the world on foot, on a bicycle, public transportation or bikes - the possibilities are endless. I could (although I never will) walk the same route that seedy did to Nan and back. It would take me a darn sight longer of course and I'll probably expire of boredom before completion.

For some, the fun in biking is hitting the twisties (which is what North Thailand is all about). I would enjoy doing the MHS loop on my PCX; I would enjoy it 10 times more on my Versys / Ninja just because. I would hate riding to Korat from Bkk on my PCX (with a top speed of 110 kmh); I would hate it less on my Ninja because I can cover the distance in much less time.

Fundamentally, this is one of the problems with TV. There is a biking forum but it's too general. You have sportsbikes riders who gets their thrills at high speeds sharing the same space with riders who will not exceed 80 kph. This is a complete mismatch of course but due to a lack of alternative suitable (ie English) forums, lots of riders converged on here. Luckily, things have changed in the last couple of months. A couple of English speaking forums have sprouted up recently and the majority of the serious riders have migrated over. I still post here because there is still an abundance of knowledge to be gleaned.

ring, ring, its 04:54 am, troll alarm... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

Maybe you lack the background story. I really would like to wish their new forum "all the best". Its good to have different bike forums for different needs. But at the moment i can hardly respect them. Hope they will get over their loss soon and live a happy and safe life in their new forum.

Good the TV bike forum now has active moderation with strict rules. And i hope it stays this way. Its the only possible way for a successful public forum.

Edited by wantan

Maybe you lack the background story. I really would like to wish their new forum "all the best". Its good to have different bike forums for different needs. But at the moment i can hardly respect them. Hope they will get over their loss soon and live a happy and safe life in their new forum.

Good the TV bike forum now has active moderation with strict rules. And i hope it stays this way. Its the only possible way for a successful public forum.

Nope, I don't lack the background story. Like I said, he makes some very valid points, and it wasn't a troll post.

I doubt if they are worried by a lack of respect on TV forum, it is something I certainly wouldn't sweat about. Seems to be an over inflated sense of importance over this forum, Yes, it can be a good resource for info, but let's not lose sight of what it is, just a forum on general motorbikes in Thailand.

I had no Idea,when was that.?. In fact my Nan friends never told me.Sad Loss,nice Guy.

Back in September last year. Yes, great guy, extremely hospitable and helpful. Sad loss but the restaurant is still open and doing well from the looks of things.

• Like 1

Can we please not go down this road? Thread will be closed otherwise for discussing forbidden topics.

My points were about riders and riding. Setting out on a RTW trip is very different from doing a weeks riding up North. For the latter, we are looking for the twistiest roads there are, ideally in good condition as well as the objective is to ride them hard with high but safe lean angles. For that, we need a relatively powerful bike (500+ cc) and good tyres and brakes. It's mostly about the riding and sightseeing is a secondary bonus.

Setting out on a RTW is mostly about visiting different places and priority is reliability, not so much speed or riding.

• 2 weeks later...