3-year-old boy shoots, kills 1-year-old boy in Ohio home

webfact

I think the yanks should start thinking about the use of guns its a bit much when a 3 year old boy has access to a gun and proceeds to kill his 1 year old brother get rid of this cowboy attitude and bring in a law banning the use of guns of course this will never happen.

• Like 1

This all has been through the laundry too many times. For some reason, these same news items find their way onto ThaiVisa...over and over and over. I see this on news stations, and am actually wondering why nobody else cares about reading international news on the hundreds of other sources. It seems that there is some kind of political agenda...when it goes to this extreme. There are more children killing other children in Kenya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan...but nooooo it is always the USA that goes through the mill.

Don't get me wrong...ThaiVisa is a great forum for gossip, and spreading local news and changes in procedures....but way overboard on sensitive issues in the USA that..frankly...no other country can change. You see..gun ownership might sound terrible to people of other countries (that have no rights for that)but it is an American domestic issue...not an international one. Debating it here is futile. You other folks have your own insanity in your countries...we have ours.

definitely political. sorry for the boy. Parents should be thrown in jail, but they are going through their own misery.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Sympathy to both the boys

"The right to bear arms" - the death of this child is answer enough and sadly is testament to my views

RIP

The right to bear arms is for responsible people ,,Just the same as is a drivers licence is for responsible people,,Not for drunk drivers and morons on drugs so please Shut T><deleted>up

Unfortunately for the human species XX% (- fill in the XX% with your estimate) are irresponsible, morons, drug addicts or drunk most of the day/night.

Everybody that doesn't share your views are "nuts" That just about says it all about your mentality.

Nope, it's simply a well known expression.

I don't think you are actually nuts. Just uninformed, and probably biased. And it matters not a whit if you agree with me, or not. You have a perfect right to your opinion.

So, how about those other countries?
All Americans deserve automatic weapons! God bless America!

No, he is correct. The US is comparable to Syria.

Huh? Talking about delusion. See nothing but peace, beauty and generally happy or content people around me in my day to day life. Sure, we all have the common struggles and stressors, but nothing like those poor people in Syria living in a war torn nation with little or no infrastructure, children getting bombed in school yards, families getting bored in markets, women being raped and men being tortured, dismembered while alive and being burned alive in 55 gallon drums.

I live in a large city, don't have a gun here, don't lock my doors at night, feel completely safe and don't think I have ever witnessed a gun crime or a violent crime in my 47 years of living in the US in LA, Atlanta, Memphis, Destin, Nashville and San Diego.

Its so nice to be a lawyer in an ivory tower.

But what you say just must be true about seeing no violence. Thats because there are so many guns that people are safe. There is no violence at all, no shootings, no beatings. Everyone sits by the campfire toasting marshmallows singing love songs while cleaning their pistols.

I have never seen a dead body. But I'm sure lots of people die. Maybe not ?

I usually come down on the side of gun control in these debates but here is an interesting statistic. (lies, damn lies and statistics, I know)

Just read "Freakonomics" by the economist Steven Levitt. In the US if you have a child, own a gun and have a swimming pool, your child is 100 times more likely to die in a drowning incident than from a gunshot wound. Kinda puts it in perspective. He has no ulterior motive in this finding. His kid died from meningitis and whilst attending a support group for parents who had lost children he couldn't help but notice how many people had lost kids through drowning accidents and decided to study it a bit more.

I wonder how many kids died in the US today of easily preventable causes but we only hear about the gun deaths?

• Like 2

Black family living in ghetto ..........

Gun belonged to mum's 'gangsta' drug dealing boyfriend.

This would be an illegal weapon, nothing to do with 'the right to bear arms'.

It's all to do with the right to bear arms. With weapons readily available it makes shooting accidents, or on purpose, more common. Why, oh why are the Americans so paranoid as to want guns?

Get a grip. Every Swiss man has a gun in their house, and you

generally do not see stories about them blasting each other.

There are complex racial and social issues at work in America,

but I guess it is not politically correct to delve into those......

When dragging the Swiss into this argument do note that although they keep a gun at home (kept after enlistment) it is ilegal in most cases to keep ammunition for it.

• Like 2

Here we go with the gun control nuts. But only because the shooting happened in America.

The post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/816993-four-shot-dead-in-pattani-including-two-assailants/ has not got any of you babbling about gun control in Thailand. Zero replies.

And how about Syria? Far more shootings there, but none of you experts are crying for gun confiscation in that country.

Because they don't have any human rights laws there, so it would be pointless, come to think about it, not many human beings there either

• Like 1

Here we go with the gun control nuts. But only because the shooting happened in America.

The post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/816993-four-shot-dead-in-pattani-including-two-assailants/ has not got any of you babbling about gun control in Thailand. Zero replies.

And how about Syria? Far more shootings there, but none of you experts are crying for gun confiscation in that country.

Because they don't have any human rights laws there, so it would be pointless, come to think about it, not many human beings there either

Okay, that's Syria. Thanks for the answer.

Now, go look at the link above, the one where four people were shot dead in Thailand. It now has 6 replies. Not one calls for disarming Thais, who kill more per capita than Americans do.

Why not? Why no calls for gun control in Thailand?

Because the people who call for gun control in America (and mostly aren't even Americans), are hypocrites, that's why.

• Like 2

As a proud American and in a warped way, I equate our rights to owning a firearm as one of the reasons our country is a world leader. Its not the firearm itself but, our believe in our constitution and country's foundation. We have a love and respect for it and its rights and responsibilities that no other country has. Its that kind of foundation and cultural believe system which allows us to be a leader. Its not perfect nor without flaws but it works. It centralizes our society and gives us a common ground. Thailand would never understand.

Now, go look at the link above, the one where four people were shot dead in Thailand. It now has 6 replies. Not one calls for disarming Thais, who kill more per capita than Americans do.

Because the people who call for gun control in America (and mostly aren't even Americans), are hypocrites, that's why.

How about: because the guns in Thailand are illegal already but there is hardly any enforcement? Whereas in the US they are legal. This means there (in theory) already is gun control in Thailand.
  • Like 1

I usually come down on the side of gun control in these debates but here is an interesting statistic. (lies, damn lies and statistics, I know)

Just read "Freakonomics" by the economist Steven Levitt. In the US if you have a child, own a gun and have a swimming pool, your child is 100 times more likely to die in a drowning incident than from a gunshot wound. Kinda puts it in perspective. He has no ulterior motive in this finding. His kid died from meningitis and whilst attending a support group for parents who had lost children he couldn't help but notice how many people had lost kids through drowning accidents and decided to study it a bit more.

I wonder how many kids died in the US today of easily preventable causes but we only hear about the gun deaths?

Totally interesting point!

a) think it through! With no pool and NO FORKING GUN in the house, your child would be even safer!

b )I guess, you heard this one a 1.000 times...because it IS FORKING TRUE: a swimming pool (fill in a car/ a hammer/ a loose cable ob the TV...if you like) are not DESIGNED to kill anyone! A guns sole purpose is to kill! There is an slight difference between having an accident in your home, because sad things happen or having a murderous device, that -by definition- does,waht it is supposed to do, when it puts a hole in someones head!

And here is WHY, you don't here a bout as much about swimmingpool accidents: because they are JUST THAT!

Accidents and accidents happen!

Edited by DM07
  • Like 2

Instead of talking about the incident itself, why not portray the story as "negligent parents at fault in child's shooting". These people are ruining it for everyone who practices firearm safety.

Instead of talking about the incident itself, why not portray the story as "negligent parents at fault in child's shooting". These people are ruining it for everyone who practices firearm safety.

Although this a tragedy, I agree with your sentiments. It is always the minority that screw things up for the majority.

It is sad to read that toddlers kill other toddlers because of the neglect of adults.

Americans are so used to guns, almost every household has one, it's just a matter of time until an accident happens.

I remember the story where a small child pulls a gun out of his mother's handbag at Walmart and shoots her!

But what can you say to people who give rifles to 5 year old boys as a birthday present?

I don't want to sound heartless but I don't feel sorry for adults who leave loaded guns around, no safety on, while kids are playing in the house.

Seems like some people never learn!

That's why I'm happy that in most countries it is almost impossible to buy a gun.

But in the USA it seems more important to "have rights" even though innocent children get killed and about anybody can take a machine gun to a school or playground. Not a country I would want to live in!

I doubt that we would want you ?

• Like 1

I am also an American and love our constitution but you must remember the right to bare arms was written in a time when the country was new, folks lived in untamed areas, the whole land was untamed, and we had just ended a war with England and were constantly at war with Native Americans to rob them of their lands. Guns may have been necessary then, but now? We don't hunt for food anymore. We hunt for pleasure, sport and a misdirected, paranoid need for safety.

The NRA is one of the strongest lobbying group in the country. It's sadly unfortunate that the victims and families of victims of guns can't form their own lobby. There would be as many members as in the NRA providing some balance. Oh wait, they are in mourning and not up to it.

Thomas Jefferson wanted a constitution that was reevaluated every 20 years to be certain it met the needs of the current citizens.

• Like 2

I am also an American and love our constitution but you must remember the right to bare arms was written in a time when the country was new, folks lived in untamed areas, the whole land was untamed, and we had just ended a war with England and were constantly at war with Native Americans to rob them of their lands. Guns may have been necessary then, but now? We don't hunt for food anymore. We hunt for pleasure, sport and a misdirected, paranoid need for safety.

The NRA is one of the strongest lobbying group in the country. It's sadly unfortunate that the victims and families of victims of guns can't form their own lobby. There would be as many members as in the NRA providing some balance. Oh wait, they are in mourning and not up to it.

Thomas Jefferson wanted a constitution that was reevaluated every 20 years to be certain it met the needs of the current citizens.

While I agree with much of what you said, you missed part of the reason why guns were/are important.

I am for guns to a point. No reason cant have one for hunting (there are quite a few people who hunt for subsistence) no reason cant have one for self protection. What I am opposed to are any guns such as high capacity semi automatic riffles or pistols. I just dont see a need for them for the general public.

The NRA are a bunch of nutcases but, a necessary evil to ward off attacks to unnecessary gun control regulation.

My point wasnt about that anyways its about the core of our country and a constitution that works. The Thais dont have a clue about that. They have no fortitude.

As a proud American and in a warped way, I equate our rights to owning a firearm as one of the reasons our country is a world leader. Its not the firearm itself but, our believe in our constitution and country's foundation. We have a love and respect for it and its rights and responsibilities that no other country has. Its that kind of foundation and cultural believe system which allows us to be a leader. Its not perfect nor without flaws but it works. It centralizes our society and gives us a common ground. Thailand would never understand.

If you have such a belief in the constitution why do you keep amending it?

It can be amended to ban guns.

If you have such a belief in the constitution why do you keep amending it?

It can be amended to ban guns.

The most recent amendment to our (not yours) constitution was over 20 years ago. Prior to that was over 20 years. Its not easy to change our constitution and our founders built the constitution so that it would take many different procedures with checks and balances to change it. That's a good thing.

What do the thais have and do? Nothing to be honest as they dont see a constitution other than a piece of paper which can be torn up by any army general that doesnt agree with the civilian leaders. History has proven this time and time again.

Sure it COULD be amended but it will NEVER be, nor should it be.

What happened was because of irresponsible parents. There are those kind of people in all countries and walks of life. No amount of laws can legislate idiots.

How about: because the guns in Thailand are illegal already but there is hardly any enforcement? Whereas in the US they are legal. This means there (in theory) already is gun control in Thailand.

Then gun control doesn't work?

Except, I don't agree with you that guns in Thailand are illegal. One can obtain permits for owning firearms.

Then gun control doesn't work?

Except, I don't agree with you that guns in Thailand are illegal. One can obtain permits for owning firearms.

Here in Thailand gun control doesn't work, because any form of control here doesn't work because of lack of enforcement. As I already wrote BTW.

Obtaining permission here is possible, but really not comparable to the us where even wall mart sells them. You can make a fair comparison when 7/11 here starts selling guns.

Totally interesting point!

a) think it through! With no pool and NO FORKING GUN in the house, your child would be even safer!

b )I guess, you heard this one a 1.000 times...because it IS FORKING TRUE: a swimming pool (fill in a car/ a hammer/ a loose cable ob the TV...if you like) are not DESIGNED to kill anyone! A guns sole purpose is to kill! There is an slight difference between having an accident in your home, because sad things happen or having a murderous device, that -by definition- does,waht it is supposed to do, when it puts a hole in someones head!

And here is WHY, you don't here a bout as much about swimmingpool accidents: because they are JUST THAT!

Accidents and accidents happen!

I totally get your point. I think you may be missing mine. A gun is designed to kill. I think we can all agree on that. A pool is not designed to kill but it does. It kills 100 times more US kids than guns do. Given the lack of resources nowadays I would rather spend some taxpayers money trying to educate folks on the dangers of swimming pools rather than trying to ban guns. If it was possible then tackle both issues but start with the ones that can save most lives.

Like I said in my post I am usually on the side of gun control but banning anything that can harm is not the way forward. And by the way I loved the You Tube clip of the Aussie comedian. Coming from my culture it was spot on but I don't come from the same culture as the US.

At the end of the day, up to them.wai.gif