Teaching solidiers

nellyp

Hi.

I am considering some work teaching soldiersw00t.gif The class size is approximately 10 and will be conversation only. These are not beginners, but they are also no where near fluent.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any material I could use that is aimed at ESL/EFL for the armed forces (or maybe even the police).

This would be a 2 hour a week gig, and would have no formal test; though I may suggest moving onto IELTS/TOFEL at some point in the future

Cheers

When I first came to Thailand I taught English, teaching EP 1 kids but I also had a gig on the side teaching Sergeants at the local army base.

Although the gig was well paid for teaching English in Thailand (3000 baht for 1.5hrs, twice a week) I found the actual class pretty tough. Non of the soldiers wanted to interact, I figured it was because they worried about losing face in front of their fellow soldiers. Prior to teaching the class I thought that a group of soldiers would be a pretty raucous group and that I may be in for a tough time. However, the class was tough for the opposite reasons I anticipated - at times it was trying to get blood out of stone and I actually got more out of my EP1 class. I don't know, maybe a more accomplished 'teacher' than myself would have fared better.

Anyway, back to the OP - I used this kind of stuff www.campaignmilitaryenglish.com/web/level1.htm and did lots on ASEAN as that was what they wanted at the time. However, I also remember that there wasn't a great deal of materials around regarding military and I actually had to make most of the stuff I used myself. I'll try and find an old USB drive I have with all the stuff on I made. If I can find it, I will PM you - you'd be more than willing to use it.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. This seems like a great starting point, but I am having trouble finding this material on the net. The books look great (what I can see), and to get all this material would be a dream. If anybody has any links I could use to find the material I would be most grateful

Cheers

P.S.PP99, I would also be grateful for anything off your USB

Thanks

Neil

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When I first came to Thailand I taught English, teaching EP 1 kids but I also had a gig on the side teaching Sergeants at the local army base.

Although the gig was well paid for teaching English in Thailand (3000 baht for 1.5hrs, twice a week) I found the actual class pretty tough. Non of the soldiers wanted to interact, I figured it was because they worried about losing face in front of their fellow soldiers. Prior to teaching the class I thought that a group of soldiers would be a pretty raucous group and that I may be in for a tough time. However, the class was tough for the opposite reasons I anticipated - at times it was trying to get blood out of stone and I actually got more out of my EP1 class. I don't know, maybe a more accomplished 'teacher' than myself would have fared better.

Anyway, back to the OP - I used this kind of stuff www.campaignmilitaryenglish.com/web/level1.htm and did lots on ASEAN as that was what they wanted at the time. However, I also remember that there wasn't a great deal of materials around regarding military and I actually had to make most of the stuff I used myself. I'll try and find an old USB drive I have with all the stuff on I made. If I can find it, I will PM you - you'd be more than willing to use it.

Good luck!

For many adult second language learners (any language), there is a strong fear and hesitation to speak.

Here's a suggestion about getting them involved.

Start a process whereby vocab is explained (if needed) the construction / sentence (perhaps a question) is written on the whiteboard.

Teacher says the sentence many times being careful to use very clear pronunciation.

Class en masse says the sentence 5? times.

Then the class knows they must split to pairs and repeat the same sentence to each other 5? times.

Then each person in individually says the sentence.

Then a new sentence, an answer to the question, same process, starting with en masse repetition, etc., etc..

Then question repeated again followed immediately by the answer. en masse then pairs, then individual.

Next day starts with 20 minute en masse, pairs, single repetition of yesterday's work, then new work.

Actually not my idea, I had a English colleague who taught English to soldiers in China. This method was prescribed by the Chinese army.

I'm told it works very well and in no time good progress and hesitation to speak goes down rapidly

I have taught a fair number of adult classes. Find a good book that you can follow and if they are hesitant then they can follow from the book. It should have a short conversation that they can read and repeat. I used to have them do the conversation several times. Once for speaking as clearly as possible and then for speed and inflection.

This sort of stuff keeps them in a fairly safe place, sort of in their comfort zone. As they loosen up, then you can branch out into more discussions. Try to keep a book or syllabus so that everything gets covered.

Once they are comfortable with you, they will become more relaxed. Humor works as well. I'd start out with something like, "Open your book. Ready. Aim. Fire."

Do you have access to a projector? Using PowerPoint and the internet makes it much easier for all involved. If so, I do have a lot of stuff you could use.

I am hoping for a multimedia classroom, so any material would be great.

I was talking to Seth the other day, and he seems happy. Hope you are toothumbsup.gif

Do you have access to a projector? Using PowerPoint and the internet makes it much easier for all involved. If so, I do have a lot of stuff you could use.

I was talking to Seth the other day, and he seems happy. Hope you are toothumbsup.gif

Life's not too bad here, thanks. Will put some stuff together and send it to you. Have a good one,-thumbsup.gif

Life's not too bad here, thanks. Will put some stuff together and send it to you. Have a good one,-thumbsup.gif

Cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might sound like an crazy idea, and this is of the top of my head, but would it be possible to play them clips from war movies - and somehow incorporate it into lessons? In ways such as: have the script written out, but take out certain words, they have to fill in the blanks - or role play, the students have to speak each characters in the movies lines to each other, etc.

This might sound like an crazy idea, and this is of the top of my head, but would it be possible to play them clips from war movies - and somehow incorporate it into lessons? In ways such as: have the script written out, but take out certain words, they have to fill in the blanks - or role play, the students have to speak each characters in the movies lines to each other, etc.

Sounds like fun,

There is a place for your activity yes....Just use the clips in short periods... have a series of 5.... start them out with words, phrases, sentences...them go for the " entire meaning" then capture...what the mood, feeling, intention of the communication..

Then of course, do it all by the numbers..

Remember with this group... conformity is the norm...

It takes work.. however, I must give you a kudos for your effort.. Carry on..

I would show clips instead of a whole film and have them related to situations. Still, I have no idea if this is a goer anymore as it has cooled down since my original post