Hospital patients to be asked about UK residence status

All the references in that document are to non-uk citizens.

In the D.M today it states that ex pat Brits will be asked for their passport ,or proof of address in the UK ie lecy bill ,or a driving licence ect ect , i know you do not want to believe it Chiang Mai but we will no longer be entitled to free treatment in the UK . now of course if you have a UK address ,a driving licence ,or a bus pass ,and a doctor who likes you ,you should be ok.

• Like 2

In the D.M today it states that ex pat Brits will be asked for their passport ,or proof of address in the UK ie lecy bill ,or a driving licence ect ect , i know you do not want to believe it Chiang Mai but we will no longer be entitled to free treatment in the UK . now of course if you have a UK address ,a driving licence ,or a bus pass ,and a doctor who likes you ,you should be ok.

It's not about wanting or not wanting to believe anything, it's about seeing proof that the rules really have changed and I don't see that proof has been provided in the above document, certainly anything written in the Daily Mail is highly suspect. If I recall correctly you said earlier that the provision of free treatment to expat pensioners with a minimum ten years contributions, had been kicked into touch but I don't see that has been proven.

As things stand, I continue to believe that expat pensioners, those in receipt of the UK State Pension, will continue to be treated free of charge, except for pre-existing conditions.

And yes, I do indeed have a UK address on my UK license (renewed online last year) and also a bus pass, those things alone however are unlikely to persuade anyone that I am UK resident, in this joined up world of computer systems, The Revenue knows exactly where I live because it was in my financial interest to tell them.

EDIT to ADD:

"You are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if you are one of the following people and fall ill during your visit. You are not entitled to routine treatment for a pre-existing condition.

You are entitled to receive free NHS care if you:

get a UK state retirement pension or another state benefit and normally live in a non-EEA country. You must have lived lawfully in the UK for at least ten years continuously in the past, or worked for the UK government for at least ten years continuously. Your spouse, civil partner and dependent children are also entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if they fall ill. They must be living with you throughout your stay in the UK".

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/healthcare_w/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm

Edited by chiang mai

Trying to clarify the rules is hardly being wimpish!

So now we have IC telling us that we are not entitled and you telling us we are, I wonder what the real position is of the UK government on this subject or is it still, "work in progress" and "not fully decided"!

I am non UK resident for any purpose and it remains in my best interests for that to be the case, The Revenue knows that and I know that hence there is no falsification on my part as to my permanent abode and no games are being played, ahem! whistling.gif

• Like 1

So now we have IC telling us that we are not entitled and you telling us we are, I wonder what the real position is of the UK government on this subject or is it still, "work in progress" and "not fully decided"!

I am non UK resident for any purpose and it remains in my best interests for that to be the case, The Revenue knows that and I know that hence there is no falsification on my part as to my permanent abode and no games are being played, ahem! whistling.gif

I'm not telling you anything, do what you want and so will I, but I'm not fretting at all.

Your'e intelligent enough to read all the official garb on this subject and I know you do.

What your tactics are after that, is a matter of personal concern.

Edited by uptheos

Not really a question of what you're entitled to.

From my point of view,

I turn up as a white English person with an English regional accent, and nobody will ever ask about 'entitlement'.

On the other hand, you turn up,

"Hello, I've been living abroad for the last 30 years and would like some free health treatment, any chance please"

So I get free health care no questions asked, and you get told to sling your hook.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

or you were not daft enough to burn all your bridges in the first place..............

• Like 1

How difficult is it to comprehend that I'm simply looking for clarification of the rules, no more no less, whether or not I get free medical treatment in the UK is of no concern to me and never has been.

So yes, it is a question of "what you're entitled to" because once everyone understands what the rules are, each of you can decide to live by them or cheat, simple.

Edited by chiang mai

or you were not daft enough to burn all your bridges in the first place..............

Sometimes, frequently, the benefits of legal tax avoidance over say a ten year period outweigh the need to create and maintain deception and all that entails.

• Like 1

Exscuse me , Kap .

If you are not on the UK , Electoral Register , you should not entitled to free treatment on the NHS .wub.png

Unless of course you are a Politcal refugee, cheesy.gif

Aka , known as illegal immigrant , Kap wai2.gif

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

An extract from which reads:

"British pensioners living in Europe have the same rights as UK residents but those under retirement age will have to rely on health insurance or pay the charges, even if they are British nationals who used to live in the UK".

And those over retirement age? Presumably they will be treated for free as described earlier.

Exscuse me , Kap .

If you are not on the UK , Electoral Register , you should not entitled to free treatment on the NHS .wub.png

Not quite correct:

"The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as: detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service, checking credit applications.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote."

• Like 1

In the Politically Correct UK, good luck to any NHS official who tries to profile the patients who arrive at the hospital. If they start to ask people who look 'foreign' for their passport, I can almost see the headlines in the Guardian now saying this is racist. This will suit me as well in this instance, as my passport would show I have been out of the UK for the last 10 years. Mind you, if I had to use the NHS for some serious surgery, then I would admit I have been out of the country for a considerable time, but I would say that I have returned to live in the UK permanently, so would be able to use the NHS as soon as I returned to the UK anyway.

The obvious initial minimum piece of information that every person wishing to use the NHS for free should provide, is their 'NHS Medical Card NUmber'. I have my medical card in front of me now and it states quite clearly 'This is your NHS Medical Card, please keep it in a safe place. It is proof that you are entitled to NHS treatment'.

If the person requiring non emergency treatment (everyone is entitled to emergency Accident and Emergency treatment free) does not have a medical card number, then they are excluded automatically from free treatment, there is no need to do any more checks - or am I missing something?

Edited by dsfbrit

So Ex Pat Brits will be asked for their passports or proof of address and residents will not be, so how will they spot the difference ?

And yes, I do indeed have a UK address on my UK license (renewed online last year) and also a bus pass, those things alone however are unlikely to persuade anyone that I am UK resident, in this joined up world of computer systems, The Revenue knows exactly where I live because it was in my financial interest to tell them.

Off topic but you do realize that that is illegal ! biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

So is taking Nat ins and tax plus pension contributions all your life ,then telling you that it no longer applies to you because you chose to spend your last year's in the sun, Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

This is a good move if a little too late, now all they need to do is start random checks on the street and work places to find the millions who are choking the life blood out of this country. Then deport them forthwith and without delay without any right to appeal until they apply in their home country.

But this should be done in conjunction with a 100% check on every truck, car and boat entering the UK for illegal people trying to enter. We could create many new jobs saving the UK millions of pounds every year.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% certain it is but anyway, the Government Gateway let me renew online so I did it. Also, I was involved in an RTA last year whilst on holiday, not my fault of course! When police reports were given and details of the event documented, I asked West Dorset';s finest which license they wanted to see, my Thai license or my UK license, given that the rental car was hired using both I gave both - no questions were asked, despite a lengthy conversation about life in Thailand with a couple of very pleasant Dorset policemen.

All the references in that document are to non-uk citizens,

Exscuse me , Kap .

Not quite correct:

"The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as: detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service, checking credit applications.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote."

May i ask , who would be a eligible person ?.

Are you reqd to be paying community / poll tax , to be entitled to join , the electoral register ?.

What defines a British citizen ?

Would a person who has chosen to leave the UK . be regarded as a British citizen.?

Watch this space .

Edited by elliss

"May i ask , who would be a eligible person ?".

.. is the question we are trying to answer, in reverse!

judging by the way things seem to be going in the UK these days ,anyone who has jumped of the back off a lorry in Dover and claimed political asylum ,immediatly everything swings into place to make sure you will be looked after and given all you need , now if your familly and your famillys familly were born in the UK and you have paid in all your life and been a good citizen ,well you can F@2@k off ,because you no longer count.

Edited by i claudius

I'm not 100% certain it is but anyway, the Government Gateway let me renew online so I did it. Also, I was involved in an RTA last year whilst on holiday, not my fault of course! When police reports were given and details of the event documented, I asked West Dorset';s finest which license they wanted to see, my Thai license or my UK license, given that the rental car was hired using both I gave both - no questions were asked, despite a lengthy conversation about life in Thailand with a couple of very pleasant Dorset policemen.

It did because you supplied false information whistling.gif

It ses on the website to supply false information etc etc ( which you are doing by giving your address of residence as the UK which is incorrect) means you can be liable up to a 1,000 pound fine.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

I'll turn myself in immediately.

Back on topic:

One aspect I find difficult to understand is why immigrants can pay an insurance premium, a small one at that, whilst expat citizens are required to pay 150% of actual charges.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

I'm not telling you anything, do what you want and so will I, but I'm not fretting at all.

Your'e intelligent enough to read all the official garb on this subject and I know you do.

If you have the latest passport, easy to check how many weeks you are staying in the uk.New laws will come out, so get yourself private medical in thailand, cheap skate

If you have the latest passport, easy to check how many weeks you are staying in the uk.New laws will come out, so get yourself private medical in thailand, cheap skate

You try getting private medical insurance if you are over 60,