Free BTS, subway rides for elderly

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Elderly people who are at least 60 years old can ride the subway trains and BTS skytrains free of charge on Songkran Day until Wednesday.

Songkran Day, which is Thailand’s traditional New Year Day, falls on April 13 while the National Elderly Day falls on April 14 and the government has extended the public holidays to April 15 to encourage working people to return homes and be with their parents.

Surapong Laoha-Unya, chief operating officer of Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTS), said the elderly can ride the skytrains for free from April 13 to 15 from 6 am to midnight.

He said the elderly need to produce their identification card at the ticket booth and they will get a free-ride coupon. The free service will be applied throughout the route, including the extended ones on Sukhumvit and Silom routes, he added.

The free ride for the elderly is aimed at encouraging children to take their aged parents to visit various places along the skytrain routes, he said.

For example, children can take their parents to the Taksin Bridge station to make merit at temples on the Chao Phrya banks or they can take them to the Baring station and take a taxi from there to visit the Bang Poo seaside recreational site.

The Bangkok Metro Plc also allows the elderly to ride MRT subway trains for free from April 13 to 15.

The elderly can show their ID card to get a coupon that can be used throughout the period.

The Bangkok Metro lists nine stations that children can take parents to visit nearby temples. They are Hua Lampong, Lard Prao, Silom, Phaholyothin, Sukhumvit, Chatuchak, Rama IX, Bang Sue and National Culture Centre stations.

So no free bus passes for the elderly in Thailand then? Can't imagine it would cost that much to give something back to those over 60.

MRT is always half price for over 65's, all nationalities.

Over 60's actually.

So no free bus passes for the elderly in Thailand then? Can't imagine it would cost that much to give something back to those over 60.

Over 60's actually.

It was over 60's then they changed it to over 65's, when I was 64. have they changed it back again.

Over 60's actually.

It was over 60's then they changed it to over 65's, when I was 64. have they changed it back again.

Since I am 60, how do I get half price MRT rides? I have a MRT card.

Since I am 60, how do I get half price MRT rides? I have a MRT card.

Go to a station with suitable ID (passport should work) and ask for a senior card, you'll have to cash in your existing card if it has any credit left.

• Like 1

Over 60's actually.

It is still over 65's.

http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/web/imgcontent/Image/poster%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%82-ENG-2.jpg

Edited by sandyf

Thai only?

Almost certainly - Keeree Kanjanapas is not in the habit of equality.

Certainly not true of the MRT subway system. You have to go to the office window and ask and it will certainly be granted on proof of you age, usually your passport or a copy of it.

It doesn't happen on the BTS Skytrain AFAIR.

A few days ago I tried over and over to find out anything about this happening or not. No info on Google, nothing on thaivisa.

Now that its over , I finally find this!

Remember it and book early for next year.

It is not much use to me I am sad to say.

I would ahve to take a bus to BKK some 350km, book a hotel for 3 nights just to be able to ride the BTS and MRT all day for free. At least it is air conditioned.

Edited by billd766