Windows 8.1 - Love or hate it

ronthai

Having been dragged "Kicking and Screaming" from my EXTREMELY stable Xp SP3 platform I find W8.1 very comfortable. A pox on Vista -- W7 and previous versions --- Tried em all. IMHO it was a quantum leap.

Thank you for your tips.

Edited by bdenner
  • Like 1

I agree bdenner, the only reason I ever went to Windows 7 and now Windows 8.1 (new computer) is because XP stopped being updated by MicroSoft in 2014

Did win7 was ok with it.. win 8.1 is better.. but only with classic shell. Its real stable.

I bought Win 8 and put it on my new HP All-In-One, and it didn't take long to learn to hate it. Constant freeze ups, crashes, and things just not doing what they are supposed to do. Finally gave it to my son, who is only home on weekends, and bought a Mac Mini. Smartest move I've made in a long time.

• Like 1

Mine seems to freeze up a lot and nothing will fix it except a restart.

Clean your caches and temp folders, etc. Download free ccleaner and run cleaner.

Open ccleaner and run registry repair. Allow it to make backup first.

Alternatively, or both, open a command window in accessories by right click and open as administrator.

type

sfc /scannow

this system file checker will evaluate the system stability of files and hopefully repair any errors.

The defrag hard drive, if necessary, with free smart defrag.

next, before bed, open ccleaner again and on cleaner options, scroll down, choose wipe free space.

There's little more to improve stability unless a corrupt driver is interfering. If so, other steps apply.

You can also right click, properties, on my computer and determine how much RAM memory you have. It is quite possible your PC can benefit from increased memory.

• Like 2

Love it or h8 it i'm on the side of h8 tried it though and locked up several times and issues with having to repair install again on a number of occasions, so dl 7 but i think win 10 will be better, or so iv'e read so hanging for the debut.

You probably have a virus, malware or more,

get a good (not free, nothing free) virus program

and start scanning, free virus programs will

infect your system.

I agree bdenner, the only reason I ever went to Windows 7 and now Windows 8.1 (new computer) is because XP stopped being updated by MicroSoft in 2014

I also agree. I have 8.0 on a notebook and XP SP on my desktop. I only use the notebook when absolutely necessary. Usually my gf uses it for school. I could have spent the rest of my life on the XP desktop; but the old gal is slowing down and is on her last leg. So is the computer. I have been delaying replacing her until Win 10 comes out, but, after reading your and bdenner's assessments, I think I'll get the new desktop and load it with 8.1. Appreciate the info.

I recently bought a MINIX Neo mini PC (£130 Amazon) with Win 8.1 included, and HDMI'd it to a 40" TV. Wireless keyboard/touchpad.

Very impressed with both hardware and OS and it boots almost instantly.

The tiles are meant for a touchscreen, but a normal desktop is there too. Still use Win 7 and XP on laptops. 8.1 seems a decent improvement; stable and faster.

infect your system.

What a nonsense "ozyjon" there are excellent FREE anti-virus programs out there.

AVG free version works great and so do many others, just Google for other Free anti-virus software,

BUT only install 1 anti-virus, otherwise they might (for sure) conflict

More likely a Driver Conflict.

Go to the Support Site of your device and see if there are updated drivers specifically for your device.

Visit support forums dedicated for your specific device and see if they are talking about the same issues and if there is either a cause that can be removed, or an update that will fix the issue.

Lots of reasons to upgrade from XP, with the biggest reason being that XP will only address 4gb of RAM, along with the memory leaks, security holes, bloated registry, and on and on and on... The only way I can rank Windows 8.x is to say that it's crap... I have left my Windows systems on Win Pro 7.x...

After being a Windoze geek for decades, I decided to buy a Mac Air last year just for giggles... Big mistake as I now no longer use any of my windows machines... I installed Parallels on the Mac and now have a Windows Pro 7 virtual machine if I need it...

I can't wait for 10. I bought a cheap laptop in the US when my computer crapped out on a visit. I bought a Dell with 15" screen for $275. 8 has remained a mystery to me, and I'm very knowledgeable about computers. I eventually put the add-on Classic Shell and now it's manageable. I'm so looking forward to the release of 10. He has to be better.

The biggest issue is, it's not Windows 7. For me, Windows 7 is perfect, rarely an issue. 8 is not intuitive and much different than 7. Microsoft completely lost the plot with 8.1.

So many people always complain about their computer, why?, because they do not take care of them.

Like a car it needs service, maintenance, but most people are just simple users and blame all on in this case Windows 8(.1)

I have helped many people with their computer, that had problems and always could be solved by doing, software/driver upgrades, getting rid of viruses (plenty of those) and worst case scenario a C-drive format and re-install windows.

Rarely somebody needed new or additional hardware. I had one case of somebody trying to run W7 on a 1 GB Ram computer and expected heavy duty.

But then the same guy bought USB 3.0 external hard drive and was surprised it wasn't faster, since he had no USB3 on his old computer.

Plenty of more examples, but I won't bore you with them.

For most people the answer to problems is, stop complaining and do service and maintenance for your computer on a regular base.

If you don't know how, learn or find somebody to help you, free or paid. (NO, I am not for hire, so don't PM me)

• Like 1

infect your system.

What a nonsense "ozyjon" there are excellent FREE anti-virus programs out there.

AVG free version works great and so do many others, just Google for other Free anti-virus software,

BUT only install 1 anti-virus, otherwise they might (for sure) conflict

Yes, there are very good free programs. While I use Kaspersky IS on my system I have frequently installed AVG, etc., for others.

Remember, viruses or threats load with all the accessory loading; mostly.

Turn off computer. Press start and press F8 gently ever second or so until a screen appears with information.

Scroll down and choose start option Safe Mode with Networking. Allow it to boot. Even the display will appear differently because the driver was not loaded.

Open internet and search for trend microcillin HouseCall. This is a small online scan tool that will install something brief and small on the pc and scan it while all accessories and drivers are sleeping- just the core system running. Allow this to run and variously you can download and install and run Malwarebytes.

This combination has proven very good at cleaning unwanted visitors.

Follow the others advice and have a good antivirus program and weekly or so scan with a malware program. If you use a third party antivirus go into services.msc from the run command and disable Windows Defender.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Win 8.1 is better than Win 8.0, but still not a computer OS.

I'm a keyboard/mouse computer user, not a phone/tablet user, and I don't want to see any stinking tiles, and I also don't want "windows apps" which are only dumbed-down versions of the better computer programs.

Windows 8 was primarily designed for touch screen devices - hence all the tiles. If you download classic shell it works pretty much like Win 7.

• Like 1

Just go on Major Geeks.com

check out the free ware pics and lots of good advice and when you have uploaded and speeded up your pc maybe a $ towards donate button (have used the site for years and saved loads of money and recovered pcs for others by tips on there) They don't like hidden programs so will advise if any and normally the freeware is just that,

as mentioned, Malwarebytes, AVG 2015, CC cleaner, Spywareblaster, SUPERantispyware and one of the best all in one suites: Advanced System Care 8 - All Free and no crap with them

XP on a mid-2010 Mac mini. Been running it for years, it is the most stable little box with all the necessary features I've ever owned. Blue tooth wireless, FOUR usb ports, optical drive, and an OS that fits like a pair of comfortable shoes. I tried Win 8, it was a shameful embarrassment for Micro$oft. Got one of their beta Win 10 copies, it was better than 8, but for most people's needs, XP still outperforms either 8 or 10.