Man killed himself after attempted rape

Thaivisa News

Bueng Kan: – A man took his own life after an unsuccessful attempt to rape a woman, police said.

After Lt Colonel ChaiyonChaodon of BuengKan police station arrived at the scene, he found WiratPhiapong, 41, dead in his bed. He had a gunshot wound in the head. A home-made pistol was found dropped near his right hand.

Forensic checks established that Chaiyon had died for less than 24 hours.

Thongma Kwanthong, a relative of Chaiyon, alerted police to the incident.

In his statement, Thongma said he suspected Chaiyon was stressful about possible legal proceedings related to his attempted rape.

Three days before his death, Chaiyon broke into a neighbour home and tried to rape the woman whom he was courting.

The woman fought back and threw him out of the house.

Later, she reported the attempted rape to her village headman, asking his intervention to take legal action and negotiate compensation payment.

Chaiyon apparently shot himself dead just one day before having to face the woman and the village headman.

In another news report, a 16-year-old girl was raped and killed in Lop Buri, police said.

The checks at the scene found that the girl was assaulted, raped and strangled to death.

Case investigator Lieutenant Phayap Runghuaphai said he suspected there would be one to two assailants and that the killing was an apparent attempt to cover up the crime.

Judging from the evidence collected, the girl might be lured to the scene and attacked by two assailants, Phayap said.

Witnesses said before her disappearance, the girl rode a motorcycle to take her father to work at a cassava tuber field, located 400 meters from the scene.

The girl never returned home and her family alerted police. The subsequent search led to the discovery of her body.

Police found the girl’s motorcycle abandoned not far from the scene.

Unfortunately this kind of heinous crime is far too common all round the world, it is not specifically a Thai issue but seems more prevalent where the female has a lower standing in society than the male.

India springs to mind as one of the area's where the rural population are less well educated, the number of (reported) incidents away from the most populist area's has increased greatly over the last few years.

As with drug smugglers and those who carry out premeditated murder, I fear an imposition of capital punishment for the worst cases may be necessary.

Something must be done to shock those that see rape as acceptable, something must be done to bring about in change to attitudes and bring them round to a more modern appreciation of life and personal dignity...

• Like 2

With still in my mind the other article that says that Thailand is the most religious country in the world yet again a smile shows up.. Although I feel very sad for the young girl! What a shame, hope they find the perp and execute him!

I agree.

For rape, child molestation, drug running, maybe the death penalty is correct though I have to say I am not convinced on the issue.

But in a country where the police are........well, you know, we have to be very sure they have got the right people not someone just 'fitted up' to cover up someone else's crime at the cost of money changing hands.

Are we all convinced we can rely on the police to do that?

Not sure to be honest

How are the two Burmese guys by the way?

• Like 2

A home-made pistol was found dropped near his right hand.

That is what I was thinking...someone dropped the gun near his hand to make it appear he had committed suicide...

Clean efficient quick and complete citizen justice saving the tax payers and government time and money...

We must NEVER take justice into our own hands... that leads to just more violence, revenge killings, etc. until this spirals out of control.

Unfortunately this kind of heinous crime is far too common all round the world, it is not specifically a Thai issue but seems more prevalent where the female has a lower standing in society than the male.

India springs to mind as one of the area's where the rural population are less well educated, the number of (reported) incidents away from the most populist area's has increased greatly over the last few years.

As with drug smugglers and those who carry out premeditated murder, I fear an imposition of capital punishment for the worst cases may be necessary.

Something must be done to shock those that see rape as acceptable, something must be done to bring about in change to attitudes and bring them round to a more modern appreciation of life and personal dignity...

It does indeed happen all over the world, but there is the usual Thai twist in the tail. 'Later, she reported the attempted rape to her village headman, asking his intervention to take legal action and negotiate compensation payment'. In Thailand it is always about the money.

BB, That's what I was thinking. According to the brief details this girl wasn't a stranger but his girlfriend. Also, why report to the village headman and not the cops?. If I lived in a village I might understand that distinction, but it seems to me she didn't want 'revenge or justice' but simply money. Very bizzare.

It does indeed happen all over the world, but there is the usual Thai twist in the tail. 'Later, she reported the attempted rape to her village headman, asking his intervention to take legal action and negotiate compensation payment'. In Thailand it is always about the money.

You hit the nail on the head, she was his girlfriend ?? lived near ?? other times they maybe had sex, but this time she said no. (she has that right) I understand. But did he this time not want to pay ??? we do not know and never will.

A ship has to pay some way or another when it enters a harbour.

Not only Thailand about the money. Many shining light western countries have criminal compensation for victims of crime. In Oz for example that payment is on top of what the victim is awarded in civil court. And why shouldn't someone be compensated for a criminal act inflicted on them?

Took the words right out of my mouth. The girl that got strangled knew the guys that did it and they made sure that she would not be around to tell the tale. As a romantic myself I also find it difficult to take off the rose coloured glasses at times when it comes to female philosophy.

Having said that, there is no way that this should ever happen. The local guys can never buy what we can afford to buy.

p.s. I loved "Venus on a half shell" by Kilgore Trout but wasn't that supposed to be a pen name for Kurt Vonnegut?