Water heater

thuisinthailand

Was in Home Pro today to buy a water heater for our little bathroom. We need it for the shower, just to get some hot water.... I thought: that must be an easy buy, but got very confused by all the models and options. Plastic inside or PVC, to mention one point of consideration. And is there any difference in electric usage? I guess so... It doesn't have to be a top range model, but it simply has to heat the water, and it would be nice if it works for a couple of years...

So, anyone here any good advice on this?

Where in Thailand are you located, up north you're likely to need a bigger heater than down south. 3.5kW is adequate for most, but in the north you should look at 5kW or more (but see below) or your shower may not be warm enough.

Also, what size electricity meter do you have (it will be marked 5/15, 15/45 or 30/100), the biggest heater you can put on a 5/15 is 3.5kW.

Is the wiring already in place? If so check the size of the wires, if not ensure your man puts in big enough wires and includes a ground.

Do you want just for a shower, or do you want to feed a sink (in which case you need a multipoint heater).

As to manufacturer, go for a known brand (Stiebel Eltron are good, we have a Panasonic that does the job just fine).

All the other stuff such as copper or plastic boilers is down to personal preference and budget, they make little difference to how hot the water gets.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help Crossy.

We're in the South (Samui), so 3,5 kW should then be enough. And it's just for the shower, no other water elements to heat.

Have to check the electricity meter, but if I understand correctly, a 3,5 kW can be connected to all meter types. Electric in the house was renewed a year ago, and the electricity board inside is brand new. But for the outside meter I have to check, as for the wiring....

Thanks!

Sounds like you just want a shower unit rather than a (multi-point) water heater - they are usually all displayed next to each other which can be confusing. I've bought a twin pack of the Stiebel Eltron 3.5kW units a couple of years ago and they are still going strong.

...and for the wiring, don't forget to earth...

I could not resist:

thats what I call an off season topic. The mercury will reach 40 C (104 F) at our place today tongue.png

Here in upcountry (central Isan) we have a small 3.5 kW shower heater.

Currently its off most of the time.

During the 2 or 3 coldest weeks (Dec / Jan) the water will just get lukewarm.

But as you are in the south, you will not experience such outside temperatures.

So 3.5 kW should really be enough.

Have 5 heaters and find this model is the best - good water flow and heating - it is also one of the cheapest name brands at under 3k most places. Panasonic DH-3JL2DH3JL2TH-.jpg

That's the exact Pana that we have in the downstairs shower, works very well for us on the Central Plain.

Have 5 heaters and find this model is the best - good water flow and heating - it is also one of the cheapest name brands at under 3k most places. Panasonic DH-3JL2DH3JL2TH-.jpg

Think we'll go for this one... Is it a 3,5kW model? I found out today that the house has a 5/15 meter (unfortunately), so more then 3,5kW is not recommended as I have learned here. [Edit: as a matter of fact, my wife photographed this one in Home Pro few days ago - currently for 2,490 baht - and just asked me: how about this one ;) ]

Edited by thuisinthailand

Yes it is 3.5 and have often seen it for good discount at Home Pro (which is where I bought mine during such a sale).

For future you might want to consider a larger meter for house - does not cost that much to change and can be done most places. The 15/45 has become standard over the past several decades for most homes.

For future you might want to consider a larger meter for house - does not cost that much to change and can be done most places. The 15/45 has become standard over the past several decades for most homes.

Yes, we have to consider that, as we also need to install a 18K BTU airco in the bedroom. Will ask the landlord first if he would be willing to change the meter...

Yes, we have to consider that, as we also need to install a 18K BTU airco in the bedroom. Will ask the landlord first if he would be willing to change the meter...

Big bedroom then?

Big bedroom then?

About 4,5 x 5,5 meters. Wooden floor and wall.

Big bedroom then?

About 4,5 x 5,5 meters. Wooden floor and wall.

Yep. Big bedroom

• 5 years later...

"It doesn't have to be a top range model, but it simply has to heat the water, and it would be nice if it works for a couple of years...

So, anyone here any good advice on this?"

It is an old topic - I know. But I just had to reinstall my tablet (had to flash the firmware again) and found this model of a water heater picture. I found it funny. 

1.jpg