Updated: Teen gang nabbed for bombing incident

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: - Police have arrested five teenagers involved in the bombing incident causing injuries to two garbage collectors.

The explosion occurred on Tuesday at a housing estate on Sukhumvit 101/1 Road.

Two garbage collectors found a suspicious object at the dump site. They tried to check and accidentally detonated the home-made "ping pong" bomb.

One victim lost a finger and another sustained injuries in the leg.

Bangna police tracked down the five-member gang after checking the security camera footage.

The five, aged 16 and 17, admitted they were bomb makers.

They said they used explosives from firecrackers to assemble the bomb. They learned about making bomb from the Internet and older gang members.

They planned to use the bomb in "self-defence" if they were attacked by a rival gang during Songkran festival.

But the week before Songkran, they had a street fight with the rival gang and police intensified road checks around the housing estate.

For fear of being discovered for bomb possession, they left the bomb at the dump site intending to retrieve it later.

They said they thought they had "properly" hidden the bomb and that they just wanted to deal with the rival gang.

They claimed to have no intent to hurt anyone other than their rivals. They also said they were not involved in politically-motivated incidents.

Pending the completion of police report, the five suspects face a preliminary charge for illegal possession of explosives.

If convicted, the punishment is one to 20 years in jail and a fine ranging from 2,000 baht to 40,000 baht.

"They claimed to have no intent to hurt anyone other than their rivals."

Are these youngsters real or a special breed in this country.

They intended to kill, no excuse here.

And they have caused injuries to innocent people.

I don't want to hear, IF convicted, I want them convicted and get the 20 years behind bars.

They are a menace to society and future killers of more innocent people.

Don't think so Costas, at that age they are not hardened criminals but if you lock them up as you suggest they sure will be by the time they get out.

There are two path's for them one is into crime which prison now would ensure or as useful citizens given a more enlightened approach.

Fine both them and their parents and make them work for reparation and get them away from the gang situation.

No I'm no bleeding heart, if it was my son I would kick his ass till his nose bled.

Edited by Robby nz
  • Like 1

If convicted, the punishment is one to 20 years in jail and a fine ranging from 2,000 baht to 40,000 baht.

Unfortunately these kids will not be tried for attempted murder which as admitted was their intent originally.

The parents should be held somewhat responsible for these kids actions as well since they are only kids. They allowed the kids to run amuck and to join gangs and to have such an attitude towards human life. The end result will be far lesser than the damage they have caused to those garbage collectors.