Severe stomach ache for over 24hrs

davejonesbkk

Yes. There is a risk that this was appendicitis and that the easing of the pain is becsuse your appendix has now ruptured. The pain from appendix is not always on the right and atypical presentations are not uncommon.

But of course you need to see a good doctor, chosen with some care. Where do you live?

Besides appendix other possibilities are an inflamed and/or obstructed gall bladder (especially if the meal that preceded the pain contained much fat or oil) and peptic ulcer disease.

What should be done is a physical exam, blood count (CBC) and ultrasound.

May turn out to have been nothing but better to err on side of caution as the consequences of further delay if it is appendix will be serious.

Ok will do that then, Im at upper sukumwit/bang na area, what hospital can I got to that isnt too far and/or ridiculously expensive?

You say you have had bad experiences and misdiagnosis from Thai doctors, maybe it's because it was a cheap hospital with not so experienced doctors. I don't put a price on my health so if I were you I'd be heading to Bumrungrad for a thorough check up.

While it may be wise to see a doctor if it's something you're not sure of, I'm only writing because some of the above posts are alarmist, and if it were appendicitis there is a high probability that by now you wouldn't be sitting at the computer, but screaming in agony, after which would be the tough times with the poisoning.

I'd say go see a Doc for a professional opinion, but go there with a calm mind and not one full of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt), as it is likely a precautionary action, but since it's greater than a zero possibility that could cause loss of life, worth the disruption to your day.

• Like 1

...sounds like an acute reaction to something not fit for eating.....or acute poisoning....(...did you have sweats, shakes, chills, weak knees...)

...which begs the questions....who made the food......are you in a relationship.......etc.....

Yes. There is a risk that this was appendicitis and that the easing of the pain is becsuse your appendix has now ruptured. The pain from appendix is not always on the right and atypical presentations are not uncommon.

But of course you need to see a good doctor, chosen with some care. Where do you live?

Besides appendix other possibilities are an inflamed and/or obstructed gall bladder (especially if the meal that preceded the pain contained much fat or oil) and peptic ulcer disease.

What should be done is a physical exam, blood count (CBC) and ultrasound.

May turn out to have been nothing but better to err on side of caution as the consequences of further delay if it is appendix will be serious.

Had the same experience last year. Severe stomach ache for no apparent reason.

After 48 hours I went to a clinic and the GP there told me to get to a hospital quickly.

The pain had started to ease a little, but after blood tests and a scan appendicitis was diagnosed.

4 hours later I was on the operating table.

First serious health problem I've ever had and I'd just returned back from the UK.

• Like 1

I knew a guy who claimed to be an expensive lawyer from California who said he lived for three months with similar symptoms.

He didn't want to pay to see a doctor. He lived a minimalist (cheap) lifestyle.

I'd say go see a doctor.

I knew a guy who claimed to be an expensive lawyer from California who said he lived for three months with similar symptoms.

He didn't want to pay to see a doctor. He lived a minimalist (cheap) lifestyle.

I'd say go see a doctor.

Hernia ?

If the pain has subsided, a couple of possibilities which I don't think were mentioned before:

1/ Diverticulitis - can be worse with certain foods.

2/ Immune-response allergy - can develop to the point where one molecule of the allergen is enough.

About 5 years ago, had my first go-around with very similar symptoms the OP, especially the 'bloated' feeling. I actually had this occur about 4 times over about a 15-months period, say every 4 months or so. It would come on pretty quickly after eating, typically after breakfast which in my instance was usually simple; coffee, croissant and maybe some OJ. On three of these events, I was working offshore and the only medication that worked was an ant-spasmodic that killed the constant 'cramp'. It got to be that as soon as I had that familiar, discomforting 'feeling' coming on, it was simply get out the anti-spasmodics, grab some water and go lie down. Typically I would be back to normal within 18-24 hours with absolutely no after effects. After each return home, I would go see a doctor and had endoscopy, laproscopy, x-rays, scans, blood, urine and stool samples and all were pretty indeterminate as by that time, there were no symptoms. Then about 3 years ago, I realised I hadn't had an 'attack' in ages and have never had one since. The closest any doctor came to a diagnosis was the above 2 items with possibly a gluten intolerance kicking things off. However, I have no problems with bread or flour products and pretty much eat what I like. None of the medics and doctors suspected it may be appendicitis but I am pretty sure they would have ruled that out from the x-rays and other tests.

Consulting TVF members about medical issues on this venue is fine. It helps many get a better handle on what is going on ... Many if not most of these Help Discussion prompt the OP to get to a doctor as the posted opinions help paint the picture of the seriousness of the situation. And - with a series of opinions given the OP may well get a better idea on how to describe what he is experiencing and be better able to relate it to the doctor.

LOL. Any competent doctor is capable of asking his own questions, conducting tests and drawing his own conclusions. OP, seriously, see a doctor. There are so many possible causes for the symptoms you describe and you will not obtain any relief from the Dr House wannabes on this forum.

Spot on Col.Doctors dont like saying you should have been here last week as your burst appendics leaks into your gut.Men are their own worst enemy.

I went to see a doc yesterday, he didnt know what it was but reckoned it was bowel related and not my appendix or anything like that, came away with 4 sets of pills that I started taking yesterday afternoon and already feel a lot better!

Good to know you aren't going under the knife... yet. But take a look at my last post as your symptoms sound like my worst attack. Google the names of your 4 medications and see which one is the anti-spasmodic. Then buy some and keep them handy for the next time or when you can't get to the doctor quick enough. You may find it will reduce the pain and discomfort and shorten the down-time. Of course, if there is a next time, head for the doctor straight away and self-medicate only as a (poor) second choice.

Little things can become BIG

Thinking abt this Thread today, I was talking with brother abut his similar experience 6.months ago

it was somewhere down near his appendix, but instead he lost about 6 inches of his intestine.

The diagnoses kept coming up with horrors, like Chromes Disease...

well the symptoms for Chromes Disease also matched those from the real culprit - a Fish Bone was swallowed years back, and it has been determined the bone had done some intestinal puncturing and tears on the way through...

The Intestines, after years of continually trying to heal the damage eventually causes the body to begin to reject 'itself', hence the similarities with Chrones...

he has to now be always careful not to eat anything to adventurous, too spicy, in case it were to flare up again...

oh yeah! all the while during his hospital time, he opserved the patients around him.

One fell had his entire stomach removed, with his intestines now required to do ALL the work.

Yes, the body is amazing how it can adapt...

Edited by tifino

Consulting TVF members about medical issues on this venue is fine. It helps many get a better handle on what is going on ... Many if not most of these Help Discussion prompt the OP to get to a doctor as the posted opinions help paint the picture of the seriousness of the situation. And - with a series of opinions given the OP may well get a better idea on how to describe what he is experiencing and be better able to relate it to the doctor.

LOL. Any competent doctor is capable of asking his own questions, conducting tests and drawing his own conclusions. OP, seriously, see a doctor. There are so many possible causes for the symptoms you describe and you will not obtain any relief from the Dr House wannabes on this forum.

Spot on Col.Doctors dont like saying you should have been here last week as your burst appendics leaks into your gut.Men are their own worst enemy.

No one giving real advice encouraged him to NOT see a doctor - conversely most posters DID encourage OP to go see a doctor - No one delayed him - he chose to ask for advice ... he himself was reluctant to go see a doctor and the prompting by many AFTER educating him a little and some of the information was a bit shocking in the seriousness of it ... all in all OP went to the doctor at his own timing - despite multiple encouragements to go quickly.

You old foggies who live in the 1950's and who blindly go to the doctor without getting educated and believe everything that the doctor does -- well go camp out in the waiting room and bow and courtesy to the Docs...

Little things can become BIG

Thinking abt this Thread today, I was talking with brother abut his similar experience 6.months ago

it was somewhere down near his appendix, but instead he lost about 6 inches of his intestine.

The diagnoses kept coming up with horrors, like Chromes Disease...

well the symptoms for Chromes Disease also matched those from the real culprit - a Fish Bone was swallowed years back, and it has been determined the bone had done some intestinal puncturing and tears on the way through...

The Intestines, after years of continually trying to heal the damage eventually causes the body to begin to reject 'itself', hence the similarities with Chrones...

he has to now be always careful not to eat anything to adventurous, too spicy, in case it were to flare up again...

oh yeah! all the while during his hospital time, he opserved the patients around him.

One fell had his entire stomach removed, with his intestines now required to do ALL the work.

Yes, the body is amazing how it can adapt...

Crohn's Disease is an autoimmune disease - exact cause and trigger are not 100% understood. But the fish bone story is perhaps somewhat right for your friend. The fish bone caused lacerations - you described ... these lacerations likely became infected with bacteria - the bone itself kept inching along over the years. The bacterial infection precipitated an immune response -- but in some people this immune response goes haywire - running amok destroying good tissue along with the bad - the immune response feeds on itself and a big section of gut gets destroyed and has to be removed....

Drugs used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus are used to tread Crohn's Disease .... some doctors use freeze dried human round worms to get the immune system to attack something besides the intestine. The patient actually takes them in capsules. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I went to see a doc yesterday, he didnt know what it was but reckoned it was bowel related and not my appendix or anything like that, came away with 4 sets of pills that I started taking yesterday afternoon and already feel a lot better!

I'm glad your feeling much better ..... always drink plenty of fluids !

Thanks.

Doctor steven100.

my advice if there is a clinic near your ask the doctor to give you a check up I am sure he will find the answer to your problem. the thai women suffer from stomach problems through eating spicy food . my advice be careful what you eat in Thailand food poisoning is very rife I know from past experience .

Those symptoms sound like the same symptoms I had when I developed a duodenal ulcer. Have the hospital do a gastroscopy and check for H Pylori bacteria, which would indicate an ulcer and can be treated with anti-biotics.

If it's a kidney stone (had one last year) the pain is usually located lower back to one side or the other with a difficulty in urinating.

Sounds a bit like what happened to me a few years ago. If the pain is at the base of the Sternum and it hurts to sit or lie down for long periods then it could be Gallstones. Get yourself off for an ultrasound quick smart as prolong gall stone attacks can sometimes lead to pancreatic problems which are much worse.

No one giving real advice encouraged him to NOT see a doctor - conversely most posters DID encourage OP to go see a doctor - No one delayed him - he chose to ask for advice ... he himself was reluctant to go see a doctor and the prompting by many AFTER educating him a little and some of the information was a bit shocking in the seriousness of it ... all in all OP went to the doctor at his own timing - despite multiple encouragements to go quickly.

You old foggies who live in the 1950's and who blindly go to the doctor without getting educated and believe everything that the doctor does -- well go camp out in the waiting room and bow and courtesy to the Docs...

I hate going to the doctor and simply don't trust them to do what's best for the patient (broken bones etc excepted), they haven't performed well with most of my relatives (they did save the life of one of them one time with a heart restart, so I'm not totally down on them, but overall a very poor strike rate for 'cures'). I have been a couple of times whilst in Thailand, purely because of people who care about me absolutely insisted that I go for their own peace of mind. I got the pills and injections and magic sponge treatment each time. Yes there are exceptions and sometimes they perform something close to magic, but going off kilter is part of life. I've healed myself more than outside assistance has (please note that I'm not dispensing advice). One day that won't be true of course, and that will be my exit day.

Could be cholecystitis, but as Sheryl and others have pointed out, it might not be. And this brings us to the conundrum regarding abdominal problems- many things are frequently masked or refered. This is among the chief reasons pain medications are delayed for abd problems until diagnosed, and this drives people insane. Whether it is referred pain, or guarding, rigidity, or rebound tenderness, the abd is a peculiar clinical area because so much can go wrong, and so much stalks similarly as an unrelated issue. Depending on further information, something regarding appendix, gallbladder, or pancreas would be high on my differential diagnosis, but brother there is so much other history taking and exams that need to be done. In all likelihood a presentation like you describe is likely to follow a fairly uncomplicated path of diagnosis and treatment.

This is unlike shoulder pain, foot pain, toothache, etc. This is potentially very serious and it would be foolish not to seek competent medical evaluation. Even if you think afterwards this was a waste of time, it likely was not. You would have provided for yourself and doctor a current baseline of your various labs and organ functioning. This information could be quite useful in the future should something similar happen again. Please consider getting aid. Side not, pay attention to whether you have black like tarry stools or bright red blood when you go to the toilet, and whether or not your stools seem to look like clay color and float. Such information can also be instructive. I wisl you luck.

• Like 1

heh heh - can't believe that I found myself now Googling: "tools seem to look like clay color and float"

...maybe a few more people could benefit by doing so...

Sorry, I am unsure I could have made it clearer; it was for someone who might be interested to google, and you did. Perhaps this is why dogs smell each other's poop- just a buddy system think! cheesy.gif