What was the scam (suspicious black guy)?

Hal65

I was at of those Bangkok banks inside a mall when a black guy came up to me and asked me if we could talk after I was done. Immediately I was suspicious. After taking care of my business I asked him what he wanted. He asked me where I was from. I told him I was in a hurry. He said he's from Africa, he wants to know if he can ask a favor but is not sure if it's okay. I said probably not and meandered off.

Has anyone encountered something similar? I'm guessing because he's trying to catch people at a bank, he has"high-value checks that the bank won't clear for some reason but is willing to give them to me for a lower amount because he needs the money right away." if I'm wrong or there is more I'd like to hear about it.

The first 'in person' scam that comes to mind is the 'black money' scam where they wash some kind of dye off a real $100 bill then attempt to get money from you to help them remove the dye from all the other worthless fake notes they have. Google 'black money scam' for more information and video news reports, etc.

Yeah, we're not mind readers. Could be any number of scams. Could have been the offer of a date. Could have been the start of something beautiful.

Could have been the word of God. I've had that before, on the BTS. German guy. Can I speak to you? Starts telling me about Jesus.

We'll never know.

If you want to know more, you should have listened to him what he had to say instead of guessing and wander off to internet forum and ask there.

Is that what you would have done? chatted to a guy that picked you out while you were withdrawing money from an ATM, not very streetwise, OP was asking was it a scam? I would say yes, the scam was coming.

If you want to know more, you should have listened to him what he had to say instead of guessing and wander off to internet forum and ask there.

Is that what you would have done? chatted to a guy that picked you out while you were withdrawing money from an ATM, not very streetwise, OP was asking was it a scam? I would say yes, the scam was coming.

I am more streetwise then you are and not afraid to talk to someone when i have a couple of thousand in my pocket.

You haven't got a clue if it was a scam only a vived imagination. Could be anything.

• Like 1

There are strange things happening at Bangkok Bank. I was at the branch in Silom about to withdraw money from the ATM when I saw my reflection in the little mirror at the top. It looked funny. I always part my hair to the left but in the reflection it was to the right. Then I looked back and saw a black guy at the back of the line. At the same time at the machine next to me was a white guy. Behind him were a Thai couple. They were speaking in Thai.

Instantly I knew this was not a good situation and ran as fast as I could out the door. And, of course, I tripped and fell on the pavement causing a street vendor to grab my arm like he wanted to help me up. I punched the guy in the nose, jumped into a cab and here I am home and safe.

Ok, so does anyone know how the scam was supposed to work?

Edited by The Dancer
  • Like 2

There are strange things happening at Bangkok Bank. I was at the branch in Silom about to withdraw money from the ATM when I saw my reflection in the little mirror at the top. It looked funny. I always part my hair to the left but in the reflection it was to the right. Then I looked back and saw a black guy at the back of the queue. At the same time at the machine next to me was a white guy. Behind him were a Thai couple. They were speaking in Thai.

Instantly I knew this was not a good situation and ran as fast as I could out the door. And, of course, I tripped and fell on the pavement causing a street vendor to grab my arm like he wanted to help me up. I punched the guy in the nose, jumped into a cab and here I am home and safe.

It works only because the victim thinks they will profit.

Works on greed.

Same as all frauds. Nothing comes free...if it did, it would become a business.

Since you never asked (very wise) you will never know what he wanted, or what this particular scam was.

A curious man would ask him, or send the police to investigate him. Next time listen to what he says, write down the details, take a photo and call the police.

A very beneficial way to approach this.

Edited by slipperylobster

There are strange things happening at Bangkok Bank. I was at the branch in Silom about to withdraw money from the ATM when I saw my reflection in the little mirror at the top. It looked funny. I always part my hair to the left but in the reflection it was to the right. Then I looked back and saw a black guy at the back of the line. At the same time at the machine next to me was a white guy. Behind him were a Thai couple. They were speaking in Thai.

Good thing you got outta there. That's the old "reflection/refraction" scam....they'd have cleaned out your account if you hadn't recognized it. thumbsup.gif

The mirror is often camouflaging a camera. The camera could easily be viewed on the black guy's cell phone, recording your PIN number, which is reflected in your hairline part. The white guy was part of the scam, placed there to increase your comfort level. And the Thai couple was there to take the blame. The street vendor was not part of the scam. He is a well known serial "arm grabber". Case solved.

• Like 1