Drought worsens nationwide, smog intensifies in Isaan

webfact

Drought worsens nationwide, smog intensifies in the Northeast

UTHAI THANI, 17 April 2015 (NNT) - Thailand has continued to suffer from the worsening drought crisis. Several fruit orchards in the South have been affected by water shortages, while the Northeast has continued to experience heavy smog.

A dike has been built in Huai Khot district of Uthai Thani province, to sustain a hundred families at risk of water shortages.

The dike is a collaboration between the Department of Provincial Administration, the Department of Forestry and the Royal Thai Army. It was also been carried out in honor of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

In the South of Thailand, fruit farmers in Yala claimed their crops are dying, as the summer heat intensifies in the region. The Royal Thai Army has been delivering water to several communities, some of which have had no running water for four months. Residents said despite the army’s assistance, the water supply is not nearly enough to support even one family.

Meanwhile, smog has caused poor road visibility in Nakhon Phanom province, particularly in the areas along the Mekong River. Residents have reported eye strain and irritation due to the air pollution.

Meteorologists claimed it was caused by the high pressure system from China that kept dust particles low to the ground. They added it would be another week before the smog begins to clear.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-17 footer_n.gif

Residents said despite the army’s assistance, the water supply is not nearly enough to support even one family.

Just wait for the General's statement. But I stopped to watch him on TV, works better than any sleeping pills for me.

• Like 1

drought? what drought? the locals round my way have just spent three days chucking water around without a care in the world.

best not tell the farmers, eh?!

Like so many others i only went out over Songkran when absolutely necessary but i didn't see any water being wasted, in fact it was being put to very good use trying to knock m/cyclists off their machines.

• Like 2

The pollution in Nakhon Phanom yesterday was so bad that it wasn't possible to see the Mekhong River from the road that runs alongside it. it was certainly painful on the eyes. My wife said that she doesn't remember seeing anything like it before. The neighbours claimed that it was result of farmers in Laos burning their fields, but the Met Office tells us better.

The drought stricken areas were notified and listed about 6 weeks ago by the disaster and mitigation department. And yet millions of gallons were wasted by revellers throwing it away over Songkran instead of conserving it!! And what do the government do? Naff all! Similarly stubble burning and deforestation fires are the main cause of pollution. But do the government care? Not one iota!!

Yes the government did care they proudly published that Songkran attendance was up 10% Burning is equal to poor people cutting wood in restricted areas. Everyone is entitled to make a living. Tigers elephants and rino's are disappearing as well. Why greed yes partly but everyone is entitled to make a living. These animals are encroaching on peoples land or is it the other way around. Guess the animals were here first and do not recognize the ruling class.

...... dust particles and pollutants from vehicle exhausts. Outdoor air pollution is now recognised as a major cause of lung cancer with even intermediate levels of air pollution carrying the same risk as passive smoking:

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2013/pdfs/pr221_Q&A.pdf

What are you saying? That the source of pollution is from the heavy industry located in Issarn, and its supporting heavy transportation system?

I still don't understand why we keep going from drought to flood each year and the Thai's seem to have no idea how to fix this problem. Their answer is always to send their planes into a cloudless sky with their magic powder to make it rain. Why don't they build some water retaining facilities so that when there is a lot of water they can use the trucks that with hoses can suck up excess water and store it in a water plant. When there is a lack of water they can then fill the trucks and send them out to fill the canals and fields. Not a completely silly idea but I guess to logical and of course not something that they think will make money. Oh well at least the Thai's enjoyed Songkran.

I still don't understand why we keep going from drought to flood each year and the Thai's seem to have no idea how to fix this problem. Their answer is always to send their planes into a cloudless sky with their magic powder to make it rain. Why don't they build some water retaining facilities so that when there is a lot of water they can use the trucks that with hoses can suck up excess water and store it in a water plant. When there is a lack of water they can then fill the trucks and send them out to fill the canals and fields. Not a completely silly idea but I guess to logical and of course not something that they think will make money. Oh well at least the Thai's enjoyed Songkran.

I think there is a low tech name for a water retaining facility. It is called a "reservior".

The pollution in Nakhon Phanom yesterday was so bad that it wasn't possible to see the Mekhong River from the road that runs alongside it. it was certainly painful on the eyes. My wife said that she doesn't remember seeing anything like it before. The neighbours claimed that it was result of farmers in Laos burning their fields, but the Met Office tells us better.

Oh, no, we thinking of moving there next month! Did this happen last year too & how long has it been going on?

And where are you going to build this reservior to stop the floods and save all the water to drought proof Thailand ???

That's easy, just build a humungous dam in the Mekong like other people are doing.

I would laugh if it wasn't so ridiculous. There is a severe drought yet water is tossed around with wild abandon for a festival that has been b*stardised more and more with each passing year. I remember hosepipe bans in the UK when things were rather less serious and citizens abided by it or paid up.

As I said, it seems ridiculous to discuss drought when there has been so much childish waste of water this week.

• Like 1

...... dust particles and pollutants from vehicle exhausts. Outdoor air pollution is now recognised as a major cause of lung cancer with even intermediate levels of air pollution carrying the same risk as passive smoking:

What are you saying? That the source of pollution is from the heavy industry located in Issarn, and its supporting heavy transportation system?

No, I did not say that. What I did say was dust particles are not the only constituents of smog and that outdoor air pollution is dangerous.

Not to mention Rice Farmers burning off stubble, Burning sugar cane before cutting, Smoke from Charcoal

burners/ makers which is one of the worst and a good lungful will put you on the floor, all against the laws which are never ENFORCED and a country in Drought having a WATER festival what else do you expect