A Wireless Dillema

raybarrell

I use XyZEL adapters from invadeIT a TH internet provider. Excellent and will easily do the trick without dicking around with access points. Works like a charm for me. You will need the transmitting adapter which will receive a LAN cable from your router and a receiving adapter in your remote location. Good luck.

InvadeIT are not an internet provider and your Xyzel adaptor sounds exactly like an access point.

To me it sounds like the Powerline solution I mentioned earlier in post #10.

I use a Zyxel Powerline system in my condo to bridge my DSL modem to my main router (phone line comes in on the wrong side of the condo) but my units dont have the wifi part which I dont need. I paid under 1500B for the pair. (Often available in the UK for under GBP20 the pair.)

these powerline thingo's.

do they need to run on the same power circuit ?

No they dont, as long as the circuits go back to same Distribution Board/FuseBox/Consumer Unit (or whatever you call it n your country)

TBH these thingos will pick a lot of noise, and get a lot of interference, IMO not worth the money for the performance.

just run an Ethernet cable to the cottage and set up another router and configure it as a repeater (DHCP forwarder) - most routers can be configured like this...........pretty simple

have you also tried moving the router location in the house to a window facing the cottage preferably high up

or attach larger antenna to your existing router

or make a simple directionable antenna (a bit like a sat dish) you can find instructions on the net made from easy in home components

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

RE OP; Perhaps the antenna could be repositioned ?

If the antenna is orientated vertically - the signal spreads outs horizontally.

So if the antenna is pointing "towards" the cottage, it would need moving 90deg (anti)clockwise, or ideally the antenna is pointing upwards to provide a wide range of coverage at the floor level the unit is serving.

attachicon.gifantnn.png

I have 3 antennas on my TP link wifi/router. I've tried improving signals by adjusting to different angles and never found much difference. I keep the middle one vertical and the two side ones on a slight angle.