NACC seizes assets of ex-DSI chief

Lite Beer

Tarit confident he can defend assets
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tarit Pengdith, an advisor attached to the PM's Office and former chief of Department of Special Investigation, expressed confidence Sunday that he will be able to defend his assets after the National Anti-Corruption Commission froze it.

Tarit said he received the assets freezing order on March 19 before the NACC announced it Sunday.

Tarit said he was not unusually rich because in 2009, he declared his assets statement to the NACC, stating he had Bt37.3 million worth of assets.

Tarit said his assets increased to Bt40 million or by about Bt3 million five years later so there was nothing wrong about it.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Tarit-confident-he-can-defend-assets-30258279.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-19

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tarit Pengdith, an advisor attached to the PM's Office and former chief of Department of Special Investigation, expressed confidence Sunday that he will be able to defend his assets after the National Anti-Corruption Commission froze it.

Tarit said he received the assets freezing order on March 19 before the NACC announced it Sunday.

Tarit said he was not unusually rich because in 2009, he declared his assets statement to the NACC, stating he had Bt37.3 million worth of assets.

Tarit said his assets increased to Bt40 million or by about Bt3 million five years later so there was nothing wrong about it.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Tarit-confident-he-can-defend-assets-30258279.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-04-19

Or in plain speak " Tarit confident he can cover his ass ets.

Has any Thai government in recent history indicted so many fat cats in so short a time?

Keep it up.

Surely not.. the PTP were masters of corruption. The only reason they wanted to hold on to power at all cost was to avoid this. Now an other party is there checking them and this is their worst nightmare.

You must be kidding. PTP= small beer, chicken feed, minnows, rank amateurs relative to some of their predecessors ( but maybe now that's considered 'old money')

PTP and the criminal Shinawatra clan small beer, chicken feed, minnows, rank amateurs... ?

You're the one who must be kidding. Tell me you are - your posts are usually well-considered.

No ..he's 100% correct and the post is exceedingly well-considered !!! It seems many posters have only been here 10 years or less and without any knowledge of what was happening before Thaksin ! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ....they'd better drink deeper !

Has any Thai government in recent history indicted so many fat cats in so short a time?

Keep it up.

Surely not.. the PTP were masters of corruption. The only reason they wanted to hold on to power at all cost was to avoid this. Now an other party is there checking them and this is their worst nightmare.

You must be kidding. PTP= small beer, chicken feed, minnows, rank amateurs relative to some of their predecessors ( but maybe now that's considered 'old money')

Name a few .. with links to court cases ? I have been here only 8 years.. so I mostly seen PTP and incarnations their corruption

8 years lol !!!! I don't think you know anything ! 18 years might have given you a bit more perspective !

Ah, it's all about the Taksins again. And where did khun and recent honourable monk Sutep get all the money to feed his fellow - property devastating - protesters for more than three months, under the watchful eyes of Thai law enforcement? Just asking...coffee1.gif

One group of protestors (arsonists/looters) was paid for their work, the other group was not. I let you figure out which one was which.

No ...why don't you tell us !!! You seem to have a deep knowledge of political events here ....not !

No ..he's 100% correct and the post is exceedingly well-considered !!! It seems many posters have only been here 10 years or less and without any knowledge of what was happening before Thaksin ! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ....they'd better drink deeper !

I've been here for more than 15 years, and would love to see the evidence of corruption exceeding the Shinawatra's. Making claims of "I've been here longer than you!" is easier than backing your claim though.

If you've been here 15 years then you should surely know that "evidence" (in a proper and legal sense ) is simply never going to happen !!! Check out " Chatchai's "buffet" cabinet of late 80s followed by yet another coup....

I find the obsession with Thaksin amazing on this board...as if he was the first and the worst when in fact he was neither !

• Like 2

It's good that this PoS has been caught finally......however, unsual wealth throughout the government, past and present, is rife.......a certain general on a salary of Thb1,400,000 /annum, was able to transfer $14.3 Million to family members just a few months ago!

Name a few .. with links to court cases ? I have been here only 8 years.. so I mostly seen PTP and incarnations their corruption

8 years lol !!!! I don't think you know anything ! 18 years might have given you a bit more perspective !

If you know it then post some info.. educate me if you can..

• Like 1

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-04-19

ask where the 37.3 million came from in 2009 declaration on his civil servent pay. then follow the paper trail as to funds transfered, laundered since that time.these people have stolen so much that they cannot find any way or place to conceal amounts they could not earn legally in 10 lifetimes working as government employee. it will be shocking when they find the huge amounts already hidden via illigal transactions.

if they want to raise real vast amounts of unexplained assets they need to take a hard look at ''plod'' another thaksin bag man. theguilty ones got so much they cannot even hide what they have not been able to launder,. spend, bury, or in some cases, burn. a disgrace to the nation and thai s who participated/condoned this behavior.

• Like 2

I've been here for more than 15 years, and would love to see the evidence of corruption exceeding the Shinawatra's. Making claims of "I've been here longer than you!" is easier than backing your claim though.

If you've been here 15 years then you should surely know that "evidence" (in a proper and legal sense ) is simply never going to happen !!! Check out " Chatchai's "buffet" cabinet of late 80s followed by yet another coup....

I find the obsession with Thaksin amazing on this board...as if he was the first and the worst when in fact he was neither !

How about something more recent.. like between 1996-2006.. I know quoting pre history makes old timers feel good.

Also.. what is the relevance.. Thaksin is in the here and now.. those others......

• Like 1

Interesting if Tarit submitted his asset list in 2009 at 37 million, and now 6 years later he has 40 million, i hardly think that highlights unusal wealth.

I wonder why 6 years later the NACC have suddenly decided to take action?

I wonder how much they have stashed away overseas, because they are always ALLOWED to leave the country once they are "caught". This guy has 30 days to get out and prepare his exile. What a joke. If they are serious about combating graft, then arrest him first, freeze the assets and all travel documents.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone has ever claimed Thaksin was the first, and I have never seen any evidence that he hasn't been the worst, and you claim we will never see evidence but the best you can point to is a 25 year-old instance of a man long dead.

Thaksin is the latest, the his greed is fresh in the mind of most here. All the claims of "political motivation" and "little Johnny did it too" are just BS smoke screens thrown up by his supporters who don't want to see their little tin god brought down.

Is there really anyone on TV who honestly believes Thaksin was in any way "godlike "? We all know surely what he was and I doubt that he has a single supporter on this forum. Not one ! Certainly not me !

Fair point about him being fresh in the mind, but seriously isn't he old news now ?

I haven't read of one single Thaksin "supporter" on this forum and to claim there are is disingenuous !

What poster here actually supports (or ever supported) him ?????

To claim he has supporters here is just a red herring !

However the " political motivation" claims are certainly not BS. ....and history will be the eventual judge on this matter

• Like 1

If you know it then post some info.. educate me if you can..
I wish I was able to....but the present political climate and forum rules prohibit ! It's really up to you to dig deeper .....

Thaksin was simply cleverer at tapping the needs of the mass of Thai voters...that was his main "crime"....the other corruption issues are just run of the mill Thai "customs " lol

In short you have nothing... as expected.

Yes you are right ! Nothing that can be said here . Just keep the blinkers on ! One day you also will change your present views.......I hope lol. I can't argue with you so enough said !

Interesting if Tarit submitted his asset list in 2009 at 37 million, and now 6 years later he has 40 million, i hardly think that highlights unusal wealth.

I wonder why 6 years later the NACC have suddenly decided to take action?

The OP mentions "evidence suggesting that Mr. Tharit’s assets relating to his unusual wealth had been transferred, transformed or hidden". I guess that means the 40 million temporarily seized is the part not 'transferred, transformed or hidden'. It would seem the four rai Khao Yai plot with more than 10 million Baht "House and eight-unit homestay" (also sometimes described as luxury villa with seven structures) is not included in the seizes assets.

Interesting is that of 40.9 million temporarily seized, 1.2 million belongs to Tarit and 39.7 million to his wife. No info how the 37.3 million declared in 2009 were divided between him and his wife?

BTW the Nation article has

"Tarit said his assets increased to Bt40 million or by about Bt3 million five years later so there was nothing wrong about it."

This suggest Tarit made an asset declaration in 2014. Any further info on that?

PS I guess in 2009 the NACC didn't see anything suspicious because at that time there wasn't anything suspicious.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

How about something more recent.. like between 1996-2006.. I know quoting pre history makes old timers feel good.

Also.. what is the relevance.. Thaksin is in the here and now.. those others......

Lol...Thaksin "is in the here and now".....youre joking! He's history !!!! Why are TV posters are obsessed with him? Who cares about him? The here and now is the Junta!!!